Mondial QV engine transplantation | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mondial QV engine transplantation

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by stekkefun4, Jun 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqMIIqqBCrU[/ame]

2. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
  3. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    ******** it!!! It's been done already.......hmph!

4. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #29 Alden, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Really Alden? You drove it!!? How cool!!
    So what's it like.....describe, do you miss the Ferrari Motor.....and what happened to the actual Ferrari Motor?
    Cheers Bell

6. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    That's just awesome, but I asked for a price quote and it is basically as expensive as buying another Mondial ... That's why I'm swapping engines which doesn't cost me a thing (in theory) :)

7. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    What happened to your Qv motor?

8. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    The engine of that car was removed by a previous owner long time ago. I have a Mondial 8 from a parts car to put in the other one. Around the 90's and 2000's Mondials were so cheap that instead of bying a new engine, people just bought a whole car and removed the engine.

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I actually would do that too! I just saw a 3.2 engine passing by for 23K in Euros :eek:

10. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #35 MvT, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    Don't get me wrong I think it is great work that someone is doing like this.

Rather give me hydrogene engines! They are faster too with the right setup ;) A rocket on wheels!

Just so you can get used to it when you come here ;) Teslas are only used here as taxis. My colleague had one and ditched it after several occassions people at the airport did a taxi guesture to get to the centre. Even one person managed to get in at one point. LOL

11. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    It was strange at first, you can't hear anything from the powerplant, of course, so you have to watch the tach for shift info. Using the clutch was a learning experience too: Basically you only use it for shifting and at a stop you simply put it in the gear you want and let out while standing still, hit the accelerator when you are ready to move and you are off.

Shifts are a hard stab at the clutch/gear change/clutch out with no "feathering" necessary, I did smell the clutch a few times when I instinctively feathered the clutch on pulling away. I never used 1st gear and actually accidently drove off in 4th without knowing it, torque is there in spades.

There is a button on the center console for regenerative braking, with this you can slow the car very well in normal traffic without touching the brakes.

Acceleration was smooth and very strong, pulled hard and handled very well. I carved a lot of turns on the way to lunch one day, I was impressed with the handling.

The engineering and execution on this conversion is first class from mechanical to fit and finish on the interior.

I think given the technology available, this is probably the best viable non IC option at this time.

The original engine and most of the car was burned up in a fire. The car was doomed to be scrapped so Hutch really "saved" this one.
    Alden

12. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Excellent Alden, thankyou so much for your response.... i almost feel like I know how it drives now. The conversion, fit and finish look 1St class!

13. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #38 Alden, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    Hutch was a wonderful host too, very charming and generous and a wonderful spokesman for his project, I think he's going to do well with this.
    Alden

14. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    #39 stekkefun4, Jul 5, 2016
  15. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    We easily managed to get the empty subframe from under the LHD Mondial. Then, we put the RHD Mondial with the engine on a ramp and detached the entire subframe with everything in it. We drove the pallet truck under this Mondial and then rose the car on the ramp (bridge). Came from underneath the car quite easily too after some pushing and pulling :)

Then we saw some differences that will cause extra work:

1. The handbrake system on the LHD Mondial is with a single cable leading to a triangular module attached to the subframe that has 2 cables that are attached to the brake calipers
    2. The RHD Mondial with the handbrake on the right side of the car, has a cable going to a U-connector on the right side of the subframe that runs inside the tubes and is attached at the bottom of the wheel hubs, because they have drum brakes for the handbrake and a smaller disk brake with smaller calipers.

So, we'll have to do some kind of conversion there. I think I'll just mount the triangular system from the LHD car on the frame and replace the wheel hubs with the ones that were initially on the LHD car.

Also, the position of the fuel pump and accumulator is different: on the RHD Mondial they are located under the fuel tank, on the LHD next to it on a triangular plate.

There's plenty of other extra things to do we initially hadn't thought of. I'll post some pics later on.

16. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    #41 stekkefun4, Jul 7, 2016
    change of plans: switching the subframes too requires too much extra work, so we'll just move the engine and gearbox over on the subframe of the 'golden' Mondial. The RHD Mondial also had the smaller disks and another type of handbrake, so that's something we can avoid.

First picture is of the handbrake system of the 'golden LHD Mondial' and the second one is for the RHD red Mondial. So, too many differences on the subframes and brakes.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I was thinking the same: making a QV into an 8 isn't a good idea imho.
    Other way around: sounds like a plan: transforming a 8 into a QV.

18. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    #43 stekkefun4, Jul 8, 2016
  19. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    #44 stekkefun4, Jul 11, 2016
  20. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Side note... Replace the in tank, fuel level sender,,,, Now.!
    That your, "In There."
    ;)
    Hope you have the later design with 4 bolts and not the Euro spanner wrench unit.
    Order a new Fiat 2000 sender for a car with fuel injection.

Edwardo
    ask me how I know.

21. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Today I have swapped the front suspension that was rebuilt from the RHD to the LHD car.

22. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    #47 stekkefun4, Jul 18, 2016
  23. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Nice to see a man enjoying himself-i used to be able to bend down like that in my younger days-nice set of steam inlet pipes

24. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido

Thanks,...

Mike, just hat me 64 aniversary...! But still feeling like 25....but not the day after that job.

Guido

25. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    just realised that the throttle cable for a Mondial 8 engine is different from a MQV cable! Fortunately I had a spare one :)