Blackbird Automotive in Hong Kong | FerrariChat

Blackbird Automotive in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Asia' started by FarEastFerrari, Feb 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarEastFerrari

FarEastFerrari Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    I spent a good hour at the new Blackbird Automotive facilities in Chai Wan, Hong Kong speaking with John Newman, its COO. He was previously the managing director of Auto Italia the official Ferrari dealer in Hong Kong. They had some really nice cars on display including a couple of F40s, F50, a La Ferrari and a perfectly restored 275GTB/4 RHD with a HK license. They hired a few mechanics from Auto Italia and are getting serious about classic Ferrari and Porsche restoration. In April they are opening a new paint shop in the same building. The place looks very impressive as they are definitely put some money into the business. I am having them sell my 1989 Speedster and depending upon their pricing, I may have them paint my 365 GTC/4. If you are in Hong Kong and are thinking about getting into Classic Fcars for storage, restoration, purchasing, you should contact John. He's really a nice guy and really experienced.

2. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    I didn't take any photos because I thought it would be kind of rude but you can see their facilities if you go to their website

3. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
  4. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Blackbird is a special place. The Head of the Service Department is Willen Ip aka Git-suk who is a legend with the older cars in particular. And not just Ferrari but also Porsche and other exotics. There is a real passion and professionalism that is lacking in other shops. Read the Blackbird journal (now available on-line) to get a sense of what these guys are about

5. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    This is good to know. If I have someone that I can trust, I wouldnt be afraid to bring valuable classic Ferrari's to restore them.

6. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    no need to be afraid!

7. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    DM so with Blackbird and Musketeer opening shops, is there anyvexperienced tech guys left at IMSS?

8. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    kung hei fat choy big boss. i am still very happy with the service at autoitalia. i was noticing in december that i had 5 cars in at the same time at the service centre - daytona, 288gto, 355 spider stick, cs and 430 spider stick. each car had a different scope of work ranging from routine service, body works, minor niggles, unobtanium parts. all cars completed without drama and i felt treated fairly. i have a great service adviser and the head of the service department is still in his chair. i don't feel any difference in service since the departures. the new facilities are a big improvement.

9. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I must try to visit Blackbird when I am in HK. Before the Manila Ferrari dealer was set up, mechanics from the HK dealer used to come over for cam belt changes and other work.

You have my favorite post-Enzo era Ferrari - a 288 GTO, DM18.

Andy

10. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    hi andy. you will love blackbird - it is a must see. must be one of the coolest garages on the planet. 288gto is my favourite too. i bought an f40 at the same time and never really connected with that car. there is a very nice 288gto for sale at blackbird amongst other treasures

11. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thanks, DM18. I'm actually in Hong kong to meetings tomorrow and Friday, but noni be able to get a visit in. l will arrange that next time, perhaps with the fellows from here.

You are a lucky man.

Best,

Andy

12. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    You probably already saw it, but the March issue of Sports Car Market has an article on the 288, DM18. They're $2.4M cars, now, outstripping the F40.

Andy

13. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Share some pics ��

14. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Love the F40 and someday I hope to buy one 😄

Lucky man you are

15. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Been there and had a lengthy chat with Willen several months ago when they opened for business. It's a place for exotic enthusiast.

16. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    I just signed on to have my 365GTC/4 at Blackbird when their paintshop opens in a few weeks. I'll post the pics on the progress and the before and after photos.

17. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    congrats and look forward to your review and pix

18. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Pics please 😁

19. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #19 Simon1965, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Blackbird is a great place and both Willen and Alex are great help. The shop does great work at fair prices and offer fantastic service. I use them for all the work on my 550. They are great at fettling problems and niggles on these older modern cars
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi