Borrani Wheels for a 250 Recreation. | FerrariChat

Borrani Wheels for a 250 Recreation.

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by 360modena2003, Jul 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Hello,

can anyone recommend a good source or manufacturer for 1950/1960 Ferrari style Borrani wire wheels in 15 or 16 inch?

Are there any alternatives, does Dayton make similar ones?

Thank you

2. andyleonard

andyleonard Rookie

Oct 23, 2010
    Before you do anything, study some pictures of real cars and make a call regarding tires, rim width, offset and finish. I had a Cottingham 500TRC replica on a 250 GTE chassis and finally settled on old rebuilt 16" Borranis with rims 1" wider than stock and used 5.50 and 6.00 Dunlop Racing tires. If the body matches the width of your donor chassis - probably not - you may be OK without re-lacing for offset. The wrong tire size and offset will make your car look dumb. If you have a 250-era replica, Daytona 14" wheels are a no.

If you know you're going to paint the wheels you can maybe find steel rim 16" Borranis off an Alfa or Iso or something and avoid the top shelf price-wise. Dunlops painted aren't too bad and are dirt cheap off XKEs. Throw them out when you find exactly what you want.

I have a new set of chrome Daytons on a Maserati and the sparkly chromed cake-pan shaped center hub is a dead giveaway from 20 feet. Nice, strong and affordable. Maybe Dayton has a Borrani-copy hub somewhere.

3. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Great, thank you very much for the suggestions.

Buying "real" Borranis is simply too much for a "recreation", I am not using a 250 chassis.

The Dunlops you mention can be bought new or used?

Thank you

4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Thank you for not using a 250 chassis in the recreation!

Sincerely,

Art S.

5. andyleonard

andyleonard Rookie

Oct 23, 2010
    Check CraigsList for used Dunlops. $200-300 should get a decent set of 15x5 off an XKE. New they're @ $400 each chromed.

Pay attention to your chassis hubs. Do you have splines now? Do you need adapters? Keep in mind adapters will widen your track and bolt-on wires tend to be short and wide.

6. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    If you are seeking authenticity, the wheel hub is different on the race cars and the touring cars, i.e. T.R. versus GTE.

7. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Thank you Andy for the suggestions - but the Jag rims are 15"

I am looking to build a "racer" - like the 625/250 TR type.

8. andyleonard

andyleonard Rookie

Oct 23, 2010
    XK 120/140/150 rims are 16" Dunlops. I suggest you read everything on the Dayton site about rim width, offset, bead vs. center lacing, etc., figure out if this thing will ever be raced (some groups don't allow bolt-on wire wheel adapters), fix a budget for wheels and PM me. I have done this a couple of times in different ways and can tell you exactly what NOT to do.

9. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    There is no substitute for Borrani on anything Ferrari, you can spot all other manufacturers in a nano second. Thus it's leads one to immediately know it's a fake.

That said these are pretty good MWS

MWS

10. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Great - thank you for all the input.

I will look at the Dayton.

11. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  12. pcelenta

pcelenta Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    have a look at turrinowirewheels.com they have some pretty authentic stuff and less expensive then genny borranis.

13. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Interesting matter regarding this, yes it is illegal for a company to sell non e marked tyres for road use, however it is not illegal for the purchaser to use them on the road in the UK.

The writing on the side of the tyres regarding not for road use is a legal disclaimer only by the manufacturer.

I had it confirmed by a VOSA inspector that as long as the tyres met current tread depth and width then they would pass an MOT.

The grey area would be in relation to an insurance claim, an eagle eyed assessor could claim they do not meet construction and use regs for the vehicles wearing said tyres but again many people run around with replacment tyres on their cars that dont meet manufacturers standard without even realising it.