458 GEARBOX ISSUES? | FerrariChat

458 GEARBOX ISSUES?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ExcelsiorZ, Jul 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Read this on a forum. Any credence to it?

"We have changed half of the double clutch gearboxes on all 458 and Californias that are sold in Norway under warranty...

The problem is oil leaks and noises from the gearboxes. Ferrari 458 is on their 8th generation of the gearbox from getrag now"

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Hard to say for sure. I've heard that the early 458's had gearbox issues, but I don't have any specifics. In general, the Ferrari dealers I have spoke with seem to indicate that the gearbox is very durable in the 458.

With that said, however, this is part of why I focused on purchasing a 458 that was 2013 or later. Sometimes it can be a little risky to buy the first few years of production of any car, especially one as technologically advanced as Ferraris.

Ray

3. doccharlie954

doccharlie954 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2010
    I have a 2012 cali. A bearing went bad and dealer advises the trannie has to be replaced under warranty. The service tech told me the 458 trans is the same as a cali. They have at least 3/4 month being replaced. Will keep fingers crossed. By the way dealer advised same unit being used on mercedes amg.

4. The extractor

The extractor Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Deerfield BeachFlorida
    Full Name:
    Dr. Joe
    I own a 2013 458 spider with 6700 miles on it.... Gearbox started to act up on me. Made nothing of it until i was losing power. Took it in to dealer and sure enough the gearbox was bad. I have an extended Ferrari warrenty on my car and therfore I was not responsible for the $26,000.00 gearbox repair.

dschaak likes this.
  5. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Wow! Obviously they replaced the whole thing. I have heard that they can repair the existing one now.

omdehoek and edward777 like this.
  6. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Well, one thing for sure is that there are probably more Fchat threads on gearbox failures than there probably were actual gearbox problems.

As for the Getrag box, I believe they were on a 3rd generation mechanically, but likely have multiples of that in terms of software (i.e. TCU/ECU) updates.

the early 2009/2010 DCT's (i.e. first Cali, early 458) had a known issue with the wiring and internal electricals that was improved for the 2011 model year. I am unsure when any cutover was. There were some failures; which at the time required a full replacement since the DCT was not field repairable.

starting around 2014, dealer techs were trained to do repairs in house and could source spare/repair parts. prior to that, it was a swap even if they knew the exact issue. As for 3-4 replacements a month, you must have an incredibly high volume dealer; that is an astonishingly high frequency, sounds candidly a bit exaggerated.

Our race team (i.e. 4 cars, always driven at 110%, no mercy) over 3 years had 2 gearbox issues since 2012. In both cases, they were repaired and the cost was $4-6K. The Getrag DCT is also used in Mercedes, I have not heard of many failures (as in, I don't know, just have not heard)

Danedingerson, ernie and F485 like this.
  7. lamarmotte

lamarmotte Karting

Feb 5, 2014
    France
    #7 lamarmotte, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    Now in France each dealer have a machanic authorized to open the gearbox

Inside the gearbox there is 3 main modules, the defect module is replaced (module is unreparable)

8. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Are there the occasional failure, yes. At the volume your buddy stated in Norway, um... no, not even close.

S

^^^^ Couldn't have answered better myself!

S

9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Are they saying they are replacing 3 to 4 gearboxes a month? Or that they have 3-4 gearboxes which need some sort of service per month?

Ray

10. Goonthree

Goonthree Karting

Nov 28, 2010
    Orlando
    I purchase the yearly warranty every year. It is hard to stop as that might be the year big repair happens!

11. Financialman

Financialman Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Dan Carpenter
    Hmmmm... I had my transmission replaced under warranty for a oil leak they could not seem to fix, I was told by the service advisor that mine was the ONLY one they had replaced in any 458, and i believe him, he has become a good friend and has no reason to lie.
    This was FOSV.

For the heck of it i called FOSF who I am also friends with the service advisor , same thing, I was told they have never replaced a 458 transmission and that it is very reliable.

Don't believe me call them yourselves.

dschaak likes this.
  12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I spoke with both of those same dealers prior to purchasing my 458 and both said the same thing; that the gearbox was nearly bullet proof and that they hadn't seen any issues, except maybe a couple of minor things with a very few with the early production cars.

Ray

dschaak likes this.
  13. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Both my 2011 coupe and 2013 spider had the gearbox replaced.

dschaak likes this.
  14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    And BMW...

ernie likes this.
  15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    What were the reasons behind the replacements?

Ray

16. SDSferrari

SDSferrari Karting

Apr 2, 2014
    Southern California
    My 2010 458 is currently at the Ferrari dealer having the gearbox replaced. The only issue I had was the E-Diff Recovery warning light would come on after 30-45 minutes of driving. Luckily the car I bought came with the extended warranty so the gearbox was covered. I was told by the dealer the repair costs approximately $20k.

dschaak likes this.
  17. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    First one dealer contacted me and my vin was within a range of known defects so it was replaced proactively (no error message).

Second one was an edif failure, always forcing it into wet mode. They replaced the diff first but it turned out to be the transmission. After about 4,000 miles iirc.

18. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Great info, thanks!

Ray

19. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Wow. Bad luck. What are the odds of that? Slim I hope.

20. fxbianca

fxbianca Karting

Apr 7, 2004
    Stuart FL
    Full Name:
    Frank Conidi
    Correct me if I am wrong but the E diff. Light warning is a known issue and has been traced back to a sensor problem. I just had mine in and they are saying it is a sensor issue. Quoted 7K to fix, all labor, i.e. Getting to the part. Anyone know a good non dealer Ferrari mechanic in S. FL.

21. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    Holy molies. This is exactly why it's worth paying for the Power Warranty every year....it pays for itself.

Ray Smith and dschaak like this.
  22. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Any symptom, besides warning light on? Missing gears, jerky gearchanges, refusal to accept a command on the paddles, etc?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

23. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    ONLY IF ..... :)

24. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Fwiw and from my experience the E-diff code
    is most likely a glitch if only appearing rarely.

If the fault appears regularly then I would reckon it merits
    attention.

Very best

25. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Very true, Carlo.

If I'm not mistaken, a battery that has gone weak can also throw all kinds of scary but fortunately false error codes on the move.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Ray Smith and dschaak like this.