Mondial T & Electromotive TEC3 | FerrariChat

Mondial T & Electromotive TEC3

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Roc, Jul 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Roc

Roc Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rocco LaBriola
    Prior to purchasing my '89 T Coupe, I had an '85 QV. It was my intention to have the TEC3 installed in that car, but we never got around to it. I'm now looking at installing her in the coupe. The Motronic 2.5 was a stop gap measure as the 2.7 wasn't ready in '89. As a result, the car suffers from a number of shortcomings. After reviewing all the factors, I believe that my car would benefit from this installation.

I would truly appreciate any feedback relative to the advisability of this installation. If it has been done before, what types of problems can I look forward to? Are any maps available?

Thank you in advance!

2. s38junkie

s38junkie Karting

Jun 18, 2011
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike K
    Just curious what you think are the shortcomings of running the stock Motronic 2.5?

3. Roc

Roc Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rocco LaBriola
    From what I have determined from others on this forum, the 2.5 was just a stop gap measure while the 2.7 was in development. The system splits the engine in half; 5-8 ECU had the only TPS and tach output and controlled mixture. 1-4 controlled advance. In my case, we can't get 5-8 to go from open loop to closed loop.

I personally believe that we'll be more efficient with one ECU controlling all functions.

4. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I wish I knew more about this sort of thing. 90% of the problems we've had with our Mondial t have been Engine Management Related. If you end up doing the mod I'd love to hear all about it. When people ask about the reliability of our Ferrari I say that the only problems we have are with the German Parts Ferrari put on it. Also I would like to be able to easily have it tuned. When I reset the ECUs I love the way it drives at first but as it "learns" is becomes less "aggressive feeling" I would want to replace every Sensor, coil, fuel injector, the whole deal.

Dave

5. Roc

Roc Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rocco LaBriola
    Dave, we tried everything to make this car run like she should. My indy, in addition to specializing in Ferrari's, Maserati's and Alfas has done more conversions then he wants to remember. We're meeting tomorrow afternoon and I'll be able to offer more feedback. As far as I'm concerned, it's a go.

My one concern is that I have #1 of 43. We must be able to revert to the original configuration should I sell the car. I am certain that it's doable.

6. jwash

jwash Rookie

Sep 12, 2010
    Roc, I have a keen interest in this project. I'm certain I'm being naive here, but is there no way to retrofit a 2.7? Regardless, keep us posted on your findings.

J

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

7. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    We have the 2.7 on our t but it doesn't address the constant sensor issues which is the real problem with these cars. There is Dave Helm's gold connector kit, and I am strongly considering it, but a complete modern retrofit for practically the same money is tempting.

8. Roc

Roc Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rocco LaBriola
    Yes, jwash, we looked at going with the 2.7. The first problem was cost. I already owned the Electromotive TEC3 and the price for (2) 2.7's was over $2,400 US. As Davebdave said, you still have the inherent sensor issues. My decision today was to proceed with the project. Abe, my indy, will set it up with the TEC3 and we'll probably fine tune her on a dyno.

Once we get her where we want to be we'll clean everything up so that (1) Everything looks stock and (2) we can return her to stock should that become necessary.