612 Air Conditioning | FerrariChat

612 Air Conditioning

Discussion in '612/599' started by Makuono, Jul 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Hi!

I'm facing some problems on my 612's air conditioning system and thought about listening from you guys before heading to the dealer.

There is a huge difference in temperature between outlets - the side ones and the rear on blow mildly hot air, the ones in the middle (above the stereo) blow cold air.

Even with the AC off, the side (plus rear passengers) ones blow warm air unless I activate recycle and the system works on a loop.

I'm thinking that if the problem was freon/compressor related, there wouldn't be this difference in outlet temperatures.

Am I right? Any ideias?

Thanks.

2. Morgie

Morgie Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    SF Bay/Carmel
    This happened twice to my car a few years ago. It was fixed by resetting the system at the dealership. I found it interesting that the second time that it happened, the service director was surprised that my suggestion to reset it worked. I am not sure what resetting it means technically but it was quick. Hope this helps.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Quite often, simply recycling the system several times will fix AC systems of Ferraris with Motronic 7.1.1. Often needs to be done after servicing required using the battery disconnect system.

4. Camp Freddie

Camp Freddie Karting

Oct 19, 2015
    London, Doha, Beirut
    Can concur with this. Mine was as effective as an asthmatic hamster before they reset it. With average summer temps around 110 degrees here it was slightly annoying

5. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    I would think a battery off/on sequence would initiate a system reset. I'd try that first before heading to a dealer for an SD3/4 reset. When I reworked my AC and have cycled power on/off, I had had some pauses in the system coming back on line the first time and believe that is a function of the AC system going through the relearn after batter power cut.

Try it and report back! Can't hurt...

6. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo

Recycling the system? How can I do that?

I'll also try the reboot procedure.

Thank you so much for your suggestions guys. I hope it's a software glitch.

Life used to be so simple before this kind of mambo jambo 😜

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Push the "Off" button on the temperature set knob and turn the fan to "Off". Cycle those buttons/switches a few times. Cannot actually turn the unit completely off, but see if this helps. Worked on my 7.1.1 575M, which uses similar logic, except on mine you cannot even turn off the compressor.

8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Wow, what a coincidence this thread appeared. Just yesterday I used my AC and the vent on the passenger side plus the right most vent on the center stack blew cool air while the other two center vents plus mine on the driver's side blew warm air. I was thinking maybe my driver's side temp control switch wasn't working, but if I turned it up to max temp the air got really hot, so I knew it was working.

Later today I will try Taz's remedy first, although I have the Motronic 7.3.2, if that makes a difference.

9. MKH612

MKH612 Rookie

Jul 7, 2016
    Hi,
    I am a new member and just read the post. I had similar problem with my 2005 612. Algar Mechanic told me that if the car’s battery was disconnected, the HVAC system needs to be recalibrated. To do this, turn the engine on and turn on the AC, then turn the temperature knobs to cold for a minute then to max hot for a minute so the temperature sensor can calibrate with temp setting. Not sure if this will help. Would like to know resolution to your problem.

10. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No dice. I tried Taz's method first and then Jason's. There was no change. I hadn't checked the rear seat vent previously, but that one does blow cold air.

I think for the rare times I need to use it, I will shut off the vents blowing luke warm air and just let the cold air vents open.

11. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Funny I also noticed yesterday the driver side is blowing warmer the the passenger side...

12. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    If you have a gauge set, you should read the pressures (and ambient temp) and report back.

When modern cars drop pressure in the refrigeration system, they can blow colder on one side than the other. Basically, the evaporator is seeing compromised cooling and is colder on one side. I've seen this occur on several vehicles. Most recently on my 2005 GMC Envoy. The passenger side blew colder than the driver's side. When I added refrigerant back up to spec, all was even again. Plumbing of air and the actual temps that the evap sees across the unit would affect this. If it doesn't get to a fully even and cooled evap state, it can show favor to one side or another. Usually consistent on any given vehicle line.

13. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    I followed your advice - forced reset and...unbelievably the AC system appears to be ok again, blowing cold homogeneous air all around.

I love my 612's "prima donna" attitude :)

Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    They are all females, after all, and just like to be fussed over.

Makuono likes this.
  15. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    My dealer serviced it and reset it, all good...

16. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    If you have different air temps on A/C... typically what you have is a blend door issue. Not a leaking freon kind of issue. The vents are no longer cable actuated and sometimes the servos either get out of sink and they forget there "limits" and only opperate in a small window. They need to be taught what open and shut is again. The reset solves this.

On a drive by wire car most cars every six key cycles will snap open and shut and attempt an over shut on the the throttle body so that way the car knows where maximum and minimum are. (Unless its an early Lotus exiege S in which case the throttle body only goes to 60 or 70% or whatever it is)

17. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Now that we are on the subject, my AC appears to work fine, but nothing (no air hot or cold) comes out the rear passenger vent....

18. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Very very dumb question of me to ask but do you have the vent "off"

19. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I'm dumb, but not that dumb.

20. Camp Freddie

Camp Freddie Karting

Oct 19, 2015
    London, Doha, Beirut
    Took my 612 about an hour ago to get it valeted. It's 9pm here and still 93 °. Jump in, fire the old girl up and she's blowing hot air again, so recycled the system as explained above and almost instantly nice freezing cold air. This seems to do the trick and has worked every time I've had to do it

On the other hand the passenger heated seat warning flashed up again but that's normal and on the 'must do some other time/never list'

21. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

hey.. he have all been there and had one of those moments LOL. again if its just one side you could have a stuck vent/blend door or the duct work has come loose all together.

22. marcmc8867

marcmc8867 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    #22 marcmc8867, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    All, reviving thread.

I just bought a 2008 612 (CPO). It arrived without A/C. I’ve tried the cycling from cold to hot, tried the battery disconnect, etc. It still won’t blow cold, just ambient/hot.

When I put on Auto I do hear the compressor start up as if AC is about to go which suggests to me that there should be Freon in system.

One odd thing, the “Off” button on the left doesn’t seem to do anything. The light inside that Off button will go on/off when I toggle the fan switch from Auto to Off but hitting the Off button does nothing.

I have an appt at the dealer but it is 3 hours away each way and the soonest appt is over a week out.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance.

23. Ferrari_Frank

Ferrari_Frank Rookie

Mar 28, 2023
    Ohio, USA
    I too am having air conditioning issues in my new-to-me 2006 612. I am going to try both of these methods today and see what happens. I will report back. Also trying to get a hold of the 612 repair manual and see if there are any remedies in there as well.

24. LondonParis

LondonParis Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates
    Cycling the controls - no joy. Hard reset - no joy. Dealer reset this AM in Paris - no joy.

The service advisor in Paris also told me the computer is showing 100% clutch wear..."which is not normal".

Will have to book her in for a proper appointment to diagnose the AC.

25. Ferrari_Frank

Ferrari_Frank Rookie

Mar 28, 2023
    Ohio, USA
    I had no success using any of the reset methods here. My 612 was blowing hot on the driver's side and cool-ish on the passenger side. My local independent shop said the suction side pressure was a little low. They evacuated the system, checked for leaks, found none, recharged to specifications, and now it blows cold on both sides. It didn't solve the other issue I am still facing, where the rear vent doesn't blow any air at all at any setting on the hvac controls. Oh well, at least it makes cold now.