New 400i Coming | FerrariChat

New 400i Coming

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Ferraridoc, Jul 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Having looked for a 4 seater Ferrari for the family over the last few years, I have looked at the 308 GT4 (limited rear leg room, prices here have gone stupid, and I've already had one), Mondial (limited rear leg room, prices OK, but I just don't like them), and the 456 (better rear leg room, although head room tight, prices have gone up, and I just couldn't find one).

I had always considered the 365/400/412, preferring a manual, but, as we all know, manuals are scarce in the newer models, and the 365's have gone stratospheric in price. I finally found a locally delivered 400i auto with a reasonable history file, and an (older) engine rebuild. It's a '79 build, without the hydraulic load leveller.

Asking around, it seems the autos perform OK, so I'm having a punt. I have an option to convert it to manual (at a cost), or sell it on I guess, if I'm not happy. I've been looking into the differences across the model range, and one glaring difference sticks out, that perhaps the experts in this section can explain: why is the 400i 300Kg heavier than the 365?

2. dkyranakis

dkyranakis Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2013
    Centreville, DE
    Full Name:
    Demetri Kyranakis
    Congrats. I love the 400i. Anyone who has a 400i stick who would consider selling please send me a pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    The weights have been discussed here and the 365 is only a little lighter than the 400. My 365 with me in it and a full tank of gas weighs 4140lbs.

4. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Thanks Jim, I found the thread, which gives a more realistic value to the 365 - I was hoping the 400 would be lighter, rather than the 365 heavier!
    In any case, they're not exactly dainty, are they?

My next question - has anybody driven (or owned) an auto and a manual back to back? I'd be interested in your thoughts.

5. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    the T400 automatic trans+torque-converter+12 quarts of tranny fluid + The original exhaust system on the 400i weighs a ton. (Just my musings). Jq.

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Agreed but what is the manual trans made out of?

7. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I'm not seeing that, the 'supposed' curb weight of the 365 is 1790 kg. & the 400i S2 is 1894 kg..
    OM's here:
    The Ferrari 400 Register

8. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    My auto 400i is 4420(truck scale) with myself and less than full tanks.
    The TH400 isn't that heavy folks(I've lifted plenty of them), no idea what the Ferrari manual box weighs but would guess not light weight, plus an iron flywheel and clutch probably little difference either way.

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Probably having the rear A/C adds most of the extra weight.

10. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I've got photos of the interior, but none of shows the rear of the centre console, so I don't know if it has that option. Anyway, I figured that there was something odd about such a difference in weight.

Now: manual vs auto?

11. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    +300kg is a ****load of additional weight. What are the sources of your weights and are they both comparable (i.e. both dry or both wet)? 19 quarts of oil and 31 gallons of fuel is a fair amount of weight on its own.

12. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think the rear A/C unit would add 25kg tops, after all it only a housing made of plastic, a fan and a small aluminium radiator. The hoses that run front to back account for some weight, but it uses the same compressor as the front system.

13. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Yeah, I think Jim and Bruce have put the 300Kg misprint to bed. Usually new models weigh more due to sound-proofing, crash protection, and more luxury features, none of which apply to a series 1 400i compared to a 365. Maybe 2 CIS's weigh more than 6 webers, though.

14. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce

I didn't know which of the 400i's you were referring to & did check the S1 OM but the problem is….the factory was a tad inconsistent with the S1 OM by stating dry weight instead of curb weight (which was used in the prior & subsequent models :confused: ).
    & yes, to John's point, 19 qts. of oil & 31 gallons of fuel makes up about 102 kg. (not to mention the other fluid weights).

I initially thought about the weight differences but couldn't see how 1 CIS fuel metering unit with air filter box attached plus the horn on the induction valve cover would weigh substantially more than 3 webers, their manifolds, plus the air filter assy. (from a one bank perspective).

15. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Tyres
    Holy crap! I've inherited a TRX! Anyway, thinking of getting the Superformance 8" wheels and spacers, unless anyone can suggest an alternative. 300 pounds x 4 + shipping for the TRX tyres is sounding a bit much, especially as the wheels need a refurb anyway, according to the PPI.

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    If it's any consolation the new tires are not like the old ones. I'm about to buy a new set for mine and knowing I'll get 7-10 years out of them does it really matter? You won't be thrashing it on a track regardless of the tire you select. I use my boxer for thrashing and my 400i to run errands and take the kids out for a spin.

17. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    +1

It's a pittance over 7 years. They will look correct on the car as will the orginal wheels.

Wait until you see how much an engine rebuild will cost you :p

18. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Well, if needs a rebuild, I'll blame you, since you found it for me :)

19. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Are you gunna turn it into a drivers' car????

Only about $15K should do the trick...or so I'm told.

20. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Got the call from Bill before I'd closed the deal. Called Marc, and he had already calculated the labour! Bush telegraph is fast in these parts...

21. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Sorry about that, I pegged you as a gunna :)

22. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Yeah well, now I've got a lot of other gunnas - wheels, gearbox, exhaust... endless fun

23. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    But the engine has already been done

24. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    do it again, just to be on the safe side ;)

25. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Shouldn't you be busy pretending to see things in pretty pictures?