Gear lever bushings - 5 speed | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Gear lever bushings - 5 speed

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Arvid, Jan 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Huh, so then how does the outer (#22) on the 365 stay attached? There isn't a clip, retainer, or anything shown in the parts book. There has to be something or you'd be pulling it and the knob off each time you went to 2nd, 4th, & reverse.
    Interesting.

2. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    I will try to remember that.

I think the same parts,or an equivalent,is inside that lever too. It's just not posted as single parts. If you would to order part nr. 22 it comes complete,push on,drive :)

3. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    #28 Bill26, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Arvid,

The key to this puzzle is the nylon piece that looks like a crown. This is the retainer - the conical end faces down and the upper gear lever assembly is retained by the rounded castellations locating in the rounded ring at the base of the upper (chrome) gear lever.

The upper lever can be removed by axial upwards force using a hammer puller screwed on to the gear knob thread or prising the retainer out using a home made tool that will fit in the gaps of the castellations. There is a lot of clearance between the nylon retainer and the lower shaft so it is not too much trouble to twist it out with the right sized prising tool. The picture below should give you an idea of what is needed.

My choice is the second method - Good luck!

Regards

WM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Bill, this is great information and just what I was hoping to hear. I thought that sooner or later somebody would turn up that actually had done this repair.

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ok, its been a while.....what is the verdict? Can this be done without pulling the console, tranny, etc?

6. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Dave, it's been a long while but nothing regarding gear bushings has happened at this end. My car is fresh back from the shop so now the time is spent on detailing.

When I do get around I'll sure report back and I'll put my money on the puller tool,Bill's second method.

7. STEVO6667

STEVO6667 Rookie

Mar 15, 2015
    Same parts as Fiat 131!

8. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Resurrecting this thread, checking to see if anyone has found a better method of removing that #@%^ing sleeve (part #22 in post 6)
    We've tried pulling from the top, levering from the bottom, combinations of both while trying to insert a pick to compress the little fingers inside, and no luck.

9. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Weekend bump, hoping for someone who has serviced/replaced this area during a restoration or rebuild will chime-in.
    Can't replace the deteriorated boot (part #38) with that sleeve in-place.

10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Not really much help but what's easier, removing center console or pulling engine and trans? :)

11. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Interior is already fully out, so the whole shifter mechanism is exposed. Replacing the original, dried-out, and cracked #38 and #39 boots is one of those "while it's exposed, and right there...." opportunities. Just can't get that sleeve to cooperate!!!

12. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Where did you get the boots? At some point I'm going to pull the dash and center consol and would like to replace the boots along with other things.

13. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    FerrParts. You have to be specific about #39, so it's not confused with the one for the automatic. Ask for Punu - he already knows, though we can't confirm on this end, since #38 goes on first........... and well.......

Il Tifoso and Ak Jim like this.