!st to 3rd gear? | FerrariChat

!st to 3rd gear?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by kitreid, Jun 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Surely this has been discussed before, and I apologise if it has.
    I know to do it, however....why?

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Until the gearbox warms up you will find 2nd gear a bit stiff. Book says 80/90 oil but 75/90 makes the change a bit easier

3. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    oh, ok...thanks mate....I recently did have it serviced, and its not bad really....just needs an extra nudge until warm like you say.....interesting

4. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    1St-3rd-5th......if I'm not in a hurry or a race... Same with the Countach

5. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    I find, my Mondial doesn't need 2nd.....I don't use it until car is up and running well into the drive....sometimes never use it

6. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    +1, same for me. But I do go to second when I have to go slow and always keep it out of 1st as long as I am moving, even a little.
    Alden

7. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    The 2nd gear synchronizer seems to either be weak or just take a lot of wear, so if you occasionally skip 2nd, voila, less use means longer before it needs replacement.

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    the whole 1-3 gear change is really overblown. I wait 5-10 minutes - smooth as butter...

you have to wait 5-10 minutes anyway to let the engine warm up so you can rev to 7,500 - so it's not a big deal at all.

Just meets a the quota for 'negatives' when a automotive journalists sits down to tabulate things on the 'con' column.

Cheers

9. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Yep, my thoughts exactly....in fact, anything on the car that I can get away with not using, I will, especially if its electrical

10. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #10 MvT, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wrong thoughts :) its not the sychronyzer.

when your transmission is warmed up (10-15min) and you can shift into second gear.. It is not your sychronyzer, but the oil that cannot get away from the second gear shaft that that goes into the transmission case. There is also a resolution for that, but you would need to bolt the transmission off.

and redline will not fix it..

Example of the MOD. A hole drilled so that transmission oil can escape when going into second gear when cold.

The second pic shows a radical solution of drilling from the outside..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Nice one MvT

12. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    This makes so much more sense to me than the weak synchro explanation. Thanks for posting.

13. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Awesome....that makes a heap of sence

14. redlightrich

redlightrich Karting

Jul 28, 2009
    north New Jersey USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I wonder if this is the same for a 1989 Mondial T. It makes all the sense in the world. If it were a "weak syncro", the issue would be there hot and cold.

Amazing that the Fcar engineers or designers of the trans missed this?

Thank you for the important information

Rich

15. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    If my car is any indication, same with the t. It is the same issue from what I have read. Using Redline tranny fluid helps some, but did not cure the problem. And I am not in a cold climate.

1st to 3rd at about 3500 rpm is not a problem. Usually by the time the oil temp gauge starts to move, the 1-2 shift is fine. I always rev match on the downshift, so that is not a problem.

Regards,
    Jerry

16. motomike8

motomike8 Karting

Jan 7, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It's also worth noting here that if your clutch is worn, stiff 2nd will be much more noticeable. Also, rather than going to 3rd you can also just double clutch between first and second and voila. Works every time and after two or three times the trans will be warmed up anyway.

17. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Thank you all....that was very educational. I was thinking about this thread today while out in the car....mine very happily goes from 1st to 3rd....ill change down into 2nd once I see the temp gauge go up a bit