308 GTS with Schedoni leather interior | FerrariChat

308 GTS with Schedoni leather interior

Discussion in '308/328' started by nerofer, Jul 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #1 nerofer, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    Discussing the Schedoni history in another thread a few weeks back, somebody took notice of the mention, in the Schedoni history, that this firm manufactured for a small batch of carbed GTSs a full Schedoni leather interior (seats, etc...). There is a picture of one of these interiors on the Schedoni website.

According to Matthias Urban's "Supplement n°1" to his "Handbuch der Ferrari Seriennummern", this was a batch of 20 cars manufactured on the request of "Hollywood Sports Cars", California.

The book identifies 14 chassis fitted with the Schedoni interior:
    24835, 24917, 26037, 27719, 27761, 28363, 28371, 29043, 29215, 29307, 29963, 30101, 30117, 30581.

Does any F-Chatter have knowledge of one (pictures would be interesting!) or knowledge of the six missing chassis numbers?

Rgds

2. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell
    Well, I remember speaking with Bill Pollard (SportAuto By Bill Pollard.inc - Home ) who was restoring one several years ago for himself. I recall him mentioning there were a total of 18 from his research. I also remember him mentioning the cars were distinguishable by the large cavallino located on the back support area of the seat as opposed to the head rest. You might try calling him to see if he has photographs to share.

Regards.

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
  4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
  5. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Never seen That model before, thanks for sharing.

Should the rear wheel liners be missing on this?

6. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Looks like "vat dyed" leather.

Vat dyed leather looks great in some applications (saddles, luggage), but for this interior, it hasn't aged that well.

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yep, indeed; but we also don't know how it was maintained (or even if it was maintained!).
    I found the close-up pic of the seat back (last picture of the seats before a pic of the engine) interesting for the large cavallino inprinted in the leather just under the headrest, at shoulder's level.

Rgds

8. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Very exotic. Could be quite a conversation piece.

I wonder if Schedoni would redo the interior if it was shipped back to them. That would be the correct way to restore it.

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes, that would indeed be the best way to restore it; but remember that the agreements they have (or had?) with Ferrari were quite stringent: they aren't allowed to accept an order for redoing any part of the 308/328 luggage for instance.
    As said many times in post about Schedoni, Simone Schedoni is usually very open to questions, and answer these most of the time...

Rgds

10. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

May be this one is the exception as its not Ferrari option but dealer option?

11. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #12 wildcat326, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm curious whether that steering wheel was part of the special package or just an aftermarket adaptation. Everything aside from the center looks correct...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. RJR89

RJR89 Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
    Word to the wise: "Special Interior" marked on a sheet "Added by Dealer" provided in the ad doesnt guarantee its Schedoni. Not saying it is or isnt, but do your homework before assuming it is. This wouldn't be the first non-Schedoni "special interior" I have seen. Not to mention it looks rough and seller mentions "interior needs to be redone." And if you cant take care of specially made seats what does that say about the rest of the car. Just sayin.

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It has been discussed here before that the embossed Cavallino in the headrest was a Hollywood Sports Cars "special"....

Interesting to learn more, of the package...that would make them all North American VINs obviously, unless a few remained in Europe??

Good question, let's put together the VINs!!

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Looks like the original MOMO wheel, with a "custom" horn button trim.....

15. pj911

pj911 Karting

Jun 10, 2005
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    PJ
    Well interesting that the description says the car was reportedly driven by Gilles Villeneuve to the F1 race, and the steering wheel appears to have his signature etched into it.

16. pj911

pj911 Karting

Jun 10, 2005
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    PJ
    #17 pj911, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    See photo:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Anyone know where the 328 with Schedoni interior is?

18. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    To my knowledge the Schedoni company itself looking for information about this car and published request in Cavallino Magazine on May 2017. I Don't see any answer or information Following.

May @Albert-LP know more ?

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Replying to myself after almost six years...the "Cavallino" article listed the 19 cars known by Schedoni; they are:

24835, 24917, 26037, 26079, 27719, 27761, 28363, 28371, 28507, 29043, 29215, 29307, 29693, 29767, 30101, 30117, 30581, 30619, 33029.

Rgds

JuLiTrO and Albert-LP like this.
  20. Toronto308

Toronto308 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Esteban
    Hi all,

I can lower the number of missing cars from 5 to 4 as I own 28507. I bought the car from a great guy named Mike in Burlington, Vermont who owned a music store and was getting married. His fiancee wouldn't get in the car as it doesn't have air bags and she felt unsafe. So, he bought a brand new Corvette. I recall him saying something about selling the car within 30 days of buying a car had some tax benefits, and he had a wedding to pay for, so he put it up for sale.
    I drove down from Toronto and had a good look at the car. He was an active member of the local FCA chapter. The car came with full records from new and he new a lot about the car as well.
    From what he told me Hollywood Sports Cars ordered a small number of 308's with Schedoni interiors to commemorate the US Grand Prix. They did this for a number of years. In 1979, the special package came with Schedoni interiors, cavallinos etched into the front side windows, and valve covers painted red. Apparently, the Schedoni interiors included buck skin seats that were very soft and wore quickly. Mike included an old picture of the car with the original interior before he had the interior redone in black. I've included it below and it shows a bit of the interior. as well as the cavallinos on the side windows.
    Also gone are the red valve covers. This happened under my care, sadly, as I was told this was not correct by my mechanic. He did mention the paint job was very well done, using both primer and paint for aluminum that made it very difficult to take off. The paint was shiny and smooth, not matte and crinkled. If anyone knows more about these special cars, I'd love to hear from them, or if they know of anyone who worked at Hollywood Sports Cars in the late 70's.
    A friend of mine saw an ad on page 16 of Cavallino issue 219 and told me Schedoni was looking for these cars, so I contacted him. His English is excellent and he seemed interested in restoring a Schedoni interior to original spec if anyone is thinking about it.
    If anyone can verify the cavallinos on the side windows and the red valve covers, I'd appreciate it. I am leaning towards believing this as all the glass on the car is original.
    Cheers!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    Do you have a picture of the engine with the red valve cover by chance ?

22. 4re328gts

4re328gts Rookie

Mar 11, 2018
    USA
    Full Name:
    Scott Mitchell
    In October, I toured the Schedoni Factory. During the tour I spoke to Silvia Parmeggiani -@ Schedoni S.r.l. She informed me that Schedoni was trying to update their files to identify the current owners of the Schedoni interior 308GTS’s. They have all of the chassis numbers on file. If you own one of these special cars or know someone who currently owns one, please contact Silvia Parmeggiani at Schedoni. She would greatly appreciate the assistance. She has located some of these cars but would like to locate them all.

JuLiTrO likes this.
  23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Unfortunately, they do not have ALL the chassis numbers on file: they have the 308 chassis numbers, yes. Trouble is they do NOT have the single 328 with Schedoni interior chassis number, and, for the time being, that car is not identified, nor is her owner.

Rgds

24. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    There are only trying to locate the 308.
    The problem is sometime, the original interior had been changed.... I know at least one of them with now a standard leather interior.