Don't drive in groups or ...........Illegal impound. 17 VEHICLES WRONGFULLY SEIZED IN | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Don't drive in groups or ...........Illegal impound. 17 VEHICLES WRONGFULLY SEIZED IN

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by who, Jun 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 575 Maranello

575 Maranello Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2013
    So Cal
    They turned over the GO PRO tape thinking it would prove the cyclist was at fault. It may have done that but it also opened up a much larger can of worms. Big mistake. Remember anything you say (or video) can and will be held against you. This case is a good example.

2. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Reposted from another site.

I don't believe these owners could be charged for unrelated crimes discovered during digital analysis of their computers, but those things you don't want seen would definitely complicate things either way.

So, word to the wise anything digital you have of your illegal activities should be kept on a private hosted server that is not subject to seizure. You should already be using a private e-mail server if you aren't already.

3. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    They already have the cars and they already know if they have illegal mods. So telling all of us is just telling us straight up. As far as cars not being Cali legal, they can impound they if they want. You can't register a newer LR Defender Diesel into Cali and they are cracking down on Montana plated cars....
    Having said all that and speculating the reasons, doesn't anyone find it interesting there is no word on the hearing and the results. Must not have gone well....time will tell.

4. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    #154 TestShoot, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Private email server you say...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    this actually upsets me

6. BryanArg

BryanArg Rookie

Jun 18, 2016
    BOOM! Judge granted the release of 3 vehicles, including mine. All those that were represented, had their cars returned.

Hop on my social media to confirm.

7. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Congrats, dude. I heard about the release on another board about an hour ago, but had no Idea it was just 3 cars.

8. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    So what were the charges and the reasons behind the impound?

9. 575 Maranello

575 Maranello Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2013
    So Cal
    Can you sue the city for Diminished Value? You have proof they hot rodded cars around while in impound....

10. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    OK, founding member of MENSA, perhaps it was you that was using your dealer plate in a way that wasn't legal(you know what I mean) and you are just venting because you were caught. Your post is insulting to law enforcement on so many different levels that I don't even know where to begin. Attitudes like yours are why folks find some car enthusiasts obnoxious.
    "aren't that smart", "jealousy, envy and greed","nice car, most likely have additional funds and everybody wants some" Give me a break.

11. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Dearest Steve, I'm not venting, nor am I mad at the cop(s). It's the cost of doing business. Clearly not all leos are bad. It's the same thing when you valet your car. The attendant is supposed to park it and treat it respect, not joy ride or abuse it, though it happens. You know this when you pull up. I've gotten tickets for things I didn't do, paid fines, bs taxes, etc and then again there are a lot of times when I didn't. Let's not get too off topic, and stick to the original thread

12. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    So the others were not involved today or were involved but didn't benefit from the hearing because they weren't represented? They needed representation to compel the police department to "do the right thing" or were there other factors that distinguished the 3 of you from the others? What reasons were given for some cars being released? Very confused.

13. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm OK with staying on topic and we are all good here, but an elitist attitude towards law enforcement serves no purpose except to insult the vast majority that not only are not stupid(as implied) but that do a very good job under difficult circumstances.
    I know quite a number of LEOs that have law degrees, own enthusiast automobiles-and, yes, F-cars), are dedicated to their chosen profession and most certainly are NOT envious of a Ferrari owner.
    You know as well as I do that dealer plates have very clearly defined parameters and that they are abused with great regularity. As to revenue-California is a leftist haven for high taxes-hardly the fault of law enforcement. We also know many with shill corporations in Montana to avoid various taxes-again not the fault of LEOs when owners of said "companies" are called on it.
    I don't compare the job that LEO's do with that of lightly trained valets either.
    One of my closest friends was a true car guy-owned a number of Shelby's, 428 SCJ Mustang,etc. We competed at various tracks, the Silver State and other car events. He was a member of the Highway Patrol and was killed on duty. There is a sign named in his honor on a road many of us frequent for enjoyable drives. So I don't take flippant insults at his chosen career lightly. Rant over and this is the last I'll mention of it.

BOT, it really is difficult to understand all the nuances of this case. It sounds like the OP may have been caught up in an unfortunate chain of events. I will say that we've all seen groups of high performance cars in a caravan, doing stupid stuff. It's one thing to be enjoying a spirited drive on outlying, lightly traveled roads, quite another indeed when ripping in and out of traffic in the city.

14. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    As am I.

15. BryanArg

BryanArg Rookie

Jun 18, 2016
    Everyone else is also having their vehicles released, except I believe 3-4 that had minor registration issues which will be cleared up Monday morning.

As far as I know, the "investigation" is going to continue. We already, as of Monday, began the civil suit against them.

I'll keep everyone posted as it progresses.

16. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 27, 2013
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    Glad you got your car back. I believe you so don't need to go to your Facebook page to confirm.
    1) Did you pay towing and storage Y/N?
    2) You had to pay an atty to get it back...Yes, they ain't free.

A civil suit against a City/police department for this is a loser. Keep your checkbook open and the account full of cash... you'll need it. Am I correct so far since we are playing a guessing game here.

They took your car for a reason and released it for a reason. Why don't you spit the REAL story out? The REAL charges (public information at his point) against you and how your atty got you off the hook.....for now.

The judge didn't just say "Hey dude, we liked driving your car for 90 days but we're over it. You can have it back. since you have an atty here" What were the charges??? The remedy??People are posting here to learn what went wrong and what we all can do to prevent it happening to us the future.

17. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    The flip side of that is the OP (since banned) and one or two others came here to spread the word on their situation and maybe gain some sympathy but have been strangely reluctant when pressed for any details. I get it - sharing an active case on social media is a really bad idea - but this isn't a community that responds well to this sort of thing.

18. BryanArg

BryanArg Rookie

Jun 18, 2016
    We are moving forward with the lawsuit against them.

That being said, we still are not crystal clear as to what we are being charged for and the reasoning behind it. What you saw on the search warrant, is what we know. Why do you think we are so upset and have been going crazy?

"Got me off the hook" What do you mean? That implies I actually committed a crime, which I absolutely did not. One of the reasons I'm not answering questions and giving information, is because I feel I'm being presumed Guilty until proven innocent. I shared on here only to draw attention to the ridiculousness of this "investigation"

My suggestion is, never record any cruises and make sure the 1-2 idiots that do get crazy are immediately banned.

Regarding storage fees, I had to pay 27 days + towing fee. Ended up being around $1300 total.

19. Mark_M5

Mark_M5 Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Ventura County, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Shared the news in this thread with the peeps on another forum and my guess about why this was all going down. Looks like I guessed right :)

20. Mark_M5

Mark_M5 Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Ventura County, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    First off, Bryan, thanks for sharing this with the class - because we need to know that it exists in the realm of possibility that we might lose a car just for tagging along with a group that includes dorks.

+1 except maybe if you see people doing stupid stuff, break away from the group and make your own way to the destination. Maybe by pulling off to the side of the road and taking a rest break until they're all long gone. You could always radio the group (if you have radios, or call) to tell them you'll meet them at the end.

Last group I went with was a drive with Malibu Mafia, and there were some punks in the group. We ended up at the snake (Mulholland by the Rock Store) and there were 3 CHP there at the corner made famous by RNickeyMouse's Youtube channel. They pulled over someone from our group for having no front plate or tint or something like that. I don't have a front plate. So I broke away from the group and went around, and met back up with them after the Rock Store. There were a couple of cars with straight pipes. I think they got through on pure luck.

Later, a couple M3s passed on a double-yellow on Malibu Cyn, which I caught on my dash cam. If I'd known there was a possibility I could lose my car just for associating with those yahoos, I would have pulled over and packed it in right then.

21. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 27, 2013
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    #171 Jaguar 15, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    I have been around fast cars for 40+ years. Done hundreds of rides, rallys, cruises...call it what you want. Know many, many people than have done the same. Know many of the R-Gruppe guys, the COCOA guys, Ferrari, on and on. Don't know a single person that had their car SEIZED. Your reluctance to tell the WHOLE story, STILL not answer a single one of my questions and then say "we still are not crystal clear as to what we are being charged for and the reasoning behind it" is absurd. Let me get this correct....you had an attorney with you in court and neither of you "are not crystal clear as to what we are being charged for"??? WTF??? You don't really expect me to believe that do you? You say 27 days storage when it has been stated repeatedly cars were held over 100 days. You can't answer questions because you are being presumed guilty until proven innocent. So you are saying the criminal portion has not been resolved....you just got your car back? Your posting here raises more questions about what REALLY happened than the "ridiculousness of the investigation"

22. BryanArg

BryanArg Rookie

Jun 18, 2016
    Then just sit back and wait until it's all over.

Otherwise, call my lawyer and he will happily answer any of your questions.

23. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Why don't you just provide the answers here? Seems like some of you came here for sympathy/support, but are unwilling to provide details... may just leave doubt in people's mind...

24. BryanArg

BryanArg Rookie

Jun 18, 2016
    My lawyer gave me specific instructions to not give answers.

I have provided what is my side to the story. You are all free to believe me, or not believe me. Either way is fine. I am not here to get "sympathy".

If you are really that interested, pick up the phone or email my lawyer, and he will give you any and all information you want.

25. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    No lawyer worthy of Bar certification would...