Driving my Mondial 1100+ miles to FCA 2016 national meet in Ohio | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Driving my Mondial 1100+ miles to FCA 2016 national meet in Ohio

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by M. Brandon Motorcars, Jun 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    #51 M. Brandon Motorcars, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Nice trip so far! :) My feeling is that whenever you do such a trip the more attention it draws then when you drive in your own scenery.

I have my lady refusing to start as well on longer trips. Try turn it of for some second with the stop switch near the battery. I give it 95% chance it starts again. This works for me all the time so far (knowing I need an upgraded fuse box sooner or later)

Regarding your oil temp. Check at least two spark plugs if they have white residue (Or place a pic here so we can look at it. If so it is running lean (It will run to hot like Jon mentioned) and you need to adjust your fuel/air mixture. If that is the case adjust it soon else you will ruin your engine.

3. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Oil temp was fine once I got to slightly cooler weather. And when I seated the spark plug extender that had come loose. That's why it was probably running lean and heating up.

4. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    After the Concours today, the car wouldn't start again.

I had one of my fellow judges, who also owns a major Ferrari repair shop, come over with me to check it out. He said, give me something that I can hit the starter with. Went under the car, rapped the starter a couple of times, and said crank it. Started right up.

He said that the solenoid in the starter has gone bad, and that the starter needs to be rebuilt.

5. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Could be a lot worse. Maybe he can fix it on Mon?
    Great pics ... even somewhat inspiring.

6. Bad Dogg

Bad Dogg Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Avon, CT
    Full Name:
    Howard
    sorry to hear that Michael. Luckily the starter rebuild is not a big deal.

7. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Yeah, I'm not too worried about it. I am going to just have the car shipped home, no big deal. It was a great drive up here, but I'm going to take the easy way out going home. :)

8. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Thanks Alden! Yes, I have lubed up the pedal assembly, but I didn't actually disassemble it. And, I was constantly squirting some lube into the tube under the manifold where the cable exits, which helped for a while.

I'm just going to put a new throttle cable in it, and when doing that, I'm going to remove the pedal assembly, clean it up, and re-lube it fresh.

9. caterus

caterus Karting

Dec 24, 2010
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I had an identical problem a while back in my 3.2. After dropping the starter motor I extracted the starter solenoid, cleaned it, polished it and replaced. Replaced the starter motor and haven't had a problem since.

10. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    The man w/ the Ferrari shop can't fix that? I would think he could do it in one day ...

11. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    I had that same experience on my first long trip in my QV two years ago. And knocking on the selenoid did seem to help, a bit. But that is not viable. And while it might be a selenoid problem, after mine was rebuilt, I still had the restart problem after a long drive. It finally was solved by the bypass relay that many have written about on other posts. In the end, it is the electrical system bringing power to the starter that needed help, not the starter itself.

12. Ferrarimondial348

Ferrarimondial348 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Just an fyi, I owned a grey market 1984 coupe QV in 1987 that had twin radiator fans. It may have been a late model build with the vin ended in 45XXX.
    The car was bought used with 12k KM on the clock in Chiaro Blue with Creama and a sunroof. Point being, I drove her 60k KM in 3 years as my daily driver with numerous trips from Phoenix to LA along the I-10 and she NEVER let me down, never needed any parts and only had minor annual services at the then local Ferrari dealer, Cavalino Classics.