attn: Historians who love 500 Mondials | Page 2 | FerrariChat

attn: Historians who love 500 Mondials

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bryanp, Dec 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MBPaki

MBPaki Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    TURIN
    Full Name:
    Miki Bellagarda
    Ciao Walter,
    Christian T. from Switzerland restored and raced 0554.
    Best, Miki-Paki.

2. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    You are right - I meant 0554.

Sorry for the confusion...

BUt its wellknown that the 750 was not an easy handling car - compared to other Ferraris, Maseratis, Jaguars etc.

Someone mentioned: "you are more sitting on it than in it!"

And that tells it all.

Nevertheless - a great car!

Ciao!
    Walter

3. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Sorry - my mistake!

Ciao!
    Walter

4. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    This very car 0510M finished just ahead of my 300S at Sebring 1955. I just need the winning Jaguar ( that year there was a chaos and took a long time to figure out how many laps car one and two actually did!) and then I can re enact the race ,,in my garden!!

Clearly the 750 Monza is more difficult to drive than a 500MD. Mondial has 170 hp, Monza 260, and with just a little bit more length, the 121LM has 340...those cars have primitive suspension and drive train, and hugely powerful engines....well no one says that 375MM are easy to drive, never drove but people I know who had one were careful driving in the wet. Even 340 need to be driven with respect.

So yes Walter, we all know Maserati of this period were easier to drive than the Ferrari, but very few people are actually racing those cars today. CT with few others like MW raced them in Ferrari challenge but those days are gone, car too expensive, guys a little bit more..hum ,,mature,,,and next generation want to drive Groupe C!!

See you at Le Mans ( classic, not the modern race!)

5. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Monteverde seemed to be having fun with his 750 Monza at Goodwood last year!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuroBAPh0O8[/ame]

6. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Pierre,
    well, you are right concerning the races today with those cars. But it was remarkable how much a 300S in capable hands can do . It would even give a 250TR some moments - according to Willie Green who drove both cars various times.

The 750 is a great car, no doubt at all but from the driving aka handling aspects the D-Dyte and 300S were much better cars.

Group C?? Well, if you want to s**t in your pants - do it..::))

7. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Of course you can have fun with a 750 MOnza! When you are able to handle the dog.

His "ice racer" 0568M was a great racer when in his ownership and -at that time- the only 750 that was well sorted.

Ciao!
    Walter

8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  9. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #34 merstheman, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    Just a bit of a nudge from the TRC... All in good fun.. I watched that live (on the stream) and I couldn't believe it when it happened, since Cottingham was actually in first given CM's penalty for jumping the start. Still, that race was fantastic!

10. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    I wonder how much can be changed with a modern set-up and knowledge of suspension and springs, better tire tech etc. I know Thor Thorson made some comments about the 512S/M series and how they weren't great when new but with modern set-up knowledge they could be transformed. The technology that went into the series was old fashioned when new compared to the 300S and was ancient compared to the D-Type Jag........

11. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Timmy,

The brake linings I used until after the 2009 FCA National meet track time at Elkhart Lake were original from 1955. That track time at Elkhart Lake was cold and rainy and the brakes never did warm up enough to properly slow the car. It felt as though I was stomping on a brick and the car was not paying any attention. Then I had Sam at Rochester Brake reline the brake shoes with a modern product suitable for both track and street. The difference from the old petrified and glazed linings was astonishing. The 1,585 pound car with brakes from the much larger 340 now stops very well for a drum brake car, and I know it stops better now than it did when I raced it in the early 60s. That is one application of modern technology which clearly helped.

Best regards,

Robert

12. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Good on you. Would hate to see any car damaged without decent safety equipment and considering its both reversible and invisible where's the harm?

Cheers
    Tim

13. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Tim,

No way it is reversible, the old petrified lining pieces are long gone with the other barrels of asbestos residue. In that line of work I do not have much hope for a long healthy life span for Sam.

Best regards,

Robert

14. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Sorry buddy, was thinking about mechanical metal bits rather than asbestos.

15. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear John,

Have been notified that due to some structural concerns regarding the San Francisco Civic Center Plaza the Golden Gate Ferrari Festival for this year is cancelled. So we will not have a chance to see and talk this September.

Best regards,

Robert

16. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Quite a coincident they have the same number.I have Cavalino, all originals,#1-#213 and Prancing horse , not all originals,#1-#173. What I am always looking for is a copy of the photo or comments that may never have been published Just a hint. tong's crew George

17. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Dinosaur followers, (all 8 of you)

Earlier I told you about the $25.00 deposit on the car. Fifty six years ago this morning my check book balance was $4.49. Later that day the personal loan from my bank came through. For whatever reason (which I do not recall) I then wrote two checks to Robert Ready Davis, the first for $1,376.65 and the second for $823.35. So for a total of $2,225 I was the new owner. Thus began an unbelievable journey.

Best regards,

Robert

18. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Great story Admiral. You have had some fun over the 56 years for $2,225. Good value I would say. The real aficionados love these cars for themselves, not some investment potential or perceived value or prestige. It is a shame this event was cancelled as there were some nice cars attending. At least we got to see and hear the blue car at Laguna Seca last year which was a real treat. Your car and the white TdF were the hits of the show. Oh and Zac's rat rod Muira and Bill's Daytona were pretty cool as well.
    I hope you are still enjoying the shift to NM. Very different to DC in nearly every way.
    John