Driving my Mondial 1100+ miles to FCA 2016 national meet in Ohio | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Driving my Mondial 1100+ miles to FCA 2016 national meet in Ohio

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by M. Brandon Motorcars, Jun 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Enjoy! It will be a wonderful trip.

2. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Made it to Little Rock, Arkansas, which was my goal for the day.

The car ran well all day. The only problem that I had was, later in the day, the oil temp started rising. Occasionally got a little above the 3/4 mark (which on my Euro car is 120 deg C, or 248 deg F). Water temps, however, were almost solidly "right in the middle", with a slight deviation left and right.

Ambient temps have been HOT all day. Above 90 deg F all day, even approaching 100 deg F in Texas. Once I got the A/C vents adjusted correctly (with the Ron Frohock mod), I didn't have a problem with cabin cooling.

When I got to the hotel, I went over the engine, and one of the spark plug extenders was slightly loose in the head, so I re-seated it. Hopefully, that's why the oil temp was high: the engine was misfiring occasionally, causing a lean condition, causing higher temps. But why wouldn't the water temp go up as well?

Anyway, tomorrow is a new day. My exhaust is non-stock (custom design by the PO), and it's definitely loud, so I wore earplugs most of the day. The seats were surprisingly comfortable; no stiffness or back pain at all.

My gas gauge suddenly started working somewhat accurately, which was nice, although I am still calculating mileage myself. And, my speedo, which normally reads about 10mph fast, would occasionally read very accurately (I was using a GPS speedo on my iPhone).

So, overall, it was a good day. I'm worried about the oil temp, but we'll see how it does tomorrow. 11 more hours to go to Columbus.

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #28 Wade, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    As you know, these cars burn oil by design. ;)

So for any extended trip, frequent oil level checks are required.

The QV owners manual says 1 - 2 liters per 1000 kilometers. So that's probably when new.

4. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Oil level was fine. And, even if it wasn't, why would slightly low oil level cause higher oil temps?

5. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Slightly low wouldn't, but some of these cars use more oil than others. Low oil levels would, indeed, cause higher temps.

6. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hey Mike be safe!! I drove our 85 Euro Mondial Cab to the Savannah FCA meet back 4 years ago or so, it was a BLAST!!

7. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    If you have less oil circulating, it would have less mass to absorb and disperse the heat, and would also get less of a chance to dissipate the heat as it passes through the oil cooler.

Do you know if the fan on the oil cooler is operational? I have heard (though not experienced it myself) of these cars losing the fan on the oil cooler.

These may not be the issue; your misfire could well be the cause of higher oil temps. Your engine oil temp could rise from that lean condition without you seeing a corresponding coolant temp rise; I have found the cooling system in my 3.2 to be extremely efficient.

8. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I'm now in Jackson, TN, eating at a Steak n Shake. Wow, that's a good burger!

(Yes, I know there are probably more interesting local restaurants around, but I want to get back on the road)

This morning, I added another bottle of Water Wetter to the coolant. (Two now total in there) The level was just slightly low, although it's always hard to tell in that dark expansion tank. And, even though the oil level has been at max the entire time, when I stopped for gas after driving a bit this morning, it read 1/2 between min and max. I added a quart of oil to get it back to max. Oil temps did seem to come down a bit; now holding pretty steady between 100 and 120 deg c.

Coolant temps have been just fine. Only moving slightly above the middle mark when I stop, and it recovers nicely. I think that extra WW helped, especially in this heat, as did increasing the volume of coolant a little bit.

So, everything is fine. The throttle pedal is still a little sticky, something that I've been fighting since I've owned the car. I'm spraying white lithium grease around the pedal base, as well as where it enters the tube under the intake manifold. Seems to help a little bit, but while the cable looks fine, I think it probably needs to be replaced. Hopefully it will make it through the trip.

9. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Oh, and to answer above: my 84 Euro coupe does not have an oil cooler fan. Nor does it have two fans on the radiator, although it does have another fan on the A/C condenser up front.

It's probably doing just fine, given the extreme heat (90+ F temps). :)

10. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    So the European Mondial has a different cooling system than the US version? I wonder if that's related to some belief that Europe 25 years ago wasn't as hot as the US ... Hmmmmm.

11. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    The Euro QV (and, I presume, 8) cars did not come with 2 cooling fans on the radiator. It was the "tropical" option, standard for US-spec cars.

And, my understanding is that there is no oil cooling fan on the 8/QV coupes. The oil cooling fan started on the QV Cabriolet, and continued for all 3.2 and T cars, coupe or cab.

12. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    #37 M. Brandon Motorcars, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    Made it to Bowling Green, KY, where I will go to the National Corvette Museum tomorrow morning. I've always wanted to visit there.

The car ran beautifully all day long. The speedo is now reading almost 100% accurately. Gas gauge as well, at least to 1/4 tank, where I don't want to risk any lower. Oil and water temps were just fine the entire day. And, once I got just north of Nashville, it suddenly got about 10 degrees cooler with a nice breeze, and they dropped accordingly.

I had no idea how hilly and beautiful Tennessee is! I-40 between Memphis and Nashville was really nice; dense trees as far as the eye could see, broken up by the occasional river.

And, the Mondial is like a UFO in this part of the country. Every stop draws a crowd. Most people know that it's some kind of Ferrari, but that's about it.

Will post pictures later.

13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Worthy of an upgrade as we get into the summer.

LUBRICATION SYSTEM - Ricambi America, Inc.

14. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Looking forward to seeing them. :)

15. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Great reports! Nothing like a road trip in an old sports car that you service yourself. Think about it; anyone w/ a credit card can fly somewhere, rent an interesting car and have some fun. But you, sir, are on a driving adventure that can't be replicated without some measure of skill and daring.
    How about some pics!
    PS: watch out for sinkholes at the Corvette museum ...

16. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I really enjoy reading these posts. I want to do this someday for sure. Something to look forward to. Be safe and have fun.
    Let me know if you need a pair of noise canceling headphones. I know a guy.......

17. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #42 Alden, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The throttle pedal actually moves on some fairly precise bearings, they do get dirty and should be disassembled and cleaned every once in while, like every 20 years or so, lol!

Also, lubing the cable from both ends with spray lube has helped other owners with sticky throttles.

Schematic from another thread with questions about adjustment, but you can see all the bearings and other parts in the assembly.
    Alden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Well, I almost made it. Right outside of Cincinnati, I stopped for lunch. Went back out to the car, and while there was power, it wouldn't start. Starter wouldn't even turn over.

I tried everything. Fuses. Relays. Cleaned and reseated the ground strap. Took off and reseated starter connections. Tried to jump start. Nothing worked.

Tow truck is on its way. Oh well.

19. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #44 Wade, Jun 18, 2016
    Sorry to hear that. Did you check the W connector on the fuse box? I'm pretty sure that your version's ignition circuit goes through there as well.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hi I had a similar prob with my 85 Euro Cabriolet. We had to jiggle the key in the ignition sometimes and it would finally crank. Please keep us posted. There are some really great F chat guys up in Cincinnati.

21. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Wait, hold the phone!

After basically disassembling my fusebox in the parking lot, as well as cleaning grounds, reseating starter connections, everything I could think of, I called the tow truck.

The car got loaded onto the truck. When I was getting out of the car, I decided to try to start it one last time.

The car started right up.

I guess the starter gear had gotten jammed against the flywheel, because I parked on a hill, and the motions of loading it onto the truck jarred it loose. At least that's my theory.

I settled with the tow driver, and drove straight through to Columbus. I came too far not to bring it across the finish line. Made it to the hotel with no other incident. Went right to the judges' meeting.

So, I did make it after all! I will post pictures tonight. (I know, I've been saying that...)

22. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #47 Wade, Jun 18, 2016
  23. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007