Anyone here consider the mp4-12c? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone here consider the mp4-12c?

Discussion in '360/430' started by carbonm, Jun 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTPdfZ8nqc4[/ame]

2. carbonm

carbonm Karting

Mar 13, 2016
    The early review here is aweful. This was before Mc gave a free update to boost to 625hp and adjusted all the driving dynamics. That said I would still take a 458 if price is equal - but it isnt equal and isnt that much more than a 430 which is what I was asking about when opening this thread.

3. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    I own a 2013 12c Spider and a 2003 360 6-speed spider. I bought the 360 because Ive always wanted one and I think its the most beautiful 8-cyl Ferrari since the 308 series.
    Its analog in the best of ways. It has the Ferrari race (stradale) exhaust so its sounds amazing. Its just a great car and fun in all ways.

I own a few older Porsche's and my DD is a 2013 GTS. I love the 993. In fact what I love about it is mostly the same as the 360. Simple, direct, old scool but modern enough to not be under them all the time. Neither is in the league of the GTS

Thats the reason to own differnt cars. They all have something to offer. But I'd bring a 458 to a 12c fight. Now thats the car!

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Just that to brush off the issues discussed in the forums as heresay, while not every car experiences them.. wouldn't be well known if there wasn't some basis in reality. :)

Frankly, after my fathers obsession with English cars.. you couldn't pay me to own one. Even a P1! I'd take the 430 anyday! (There. I've disclosed my bias..)

5. DiabloTerr

DiabloTerr Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
  6. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Awesome car. Dealer network sucks. Cannot be serviced from an independent so you are basically at there mercy

7. redspyder

redspyder Karting

Jul 10, 2012
    california
    Full Name:
    Steve Landaker
    I own both currently. The Ferrari for 5 years and the McLaren for 2 plus years. The McLaren is WAY ABOVE the 360! The technology is so advance of the 360 and the sound it make if you have the sport exhaust is AWESOME! Not to mention when the twin turbo kick in!
    Also the MP4 convertible is a HARD TOP not a CANVAS TOP. When I attend Cars and Coffee in my Ferrari there is many more Ferrari's and in most cases I'm the only McLaren.
    Most likely you'll be able to get a extended warranty on the McLaren if it is not already under warranty.
    Plus you get the CARBON FIBER CHASSIS, Aerodynamics Active airbrake, dual clutch and 616 HP twin turbo.
    THAT MY 2 cents!

8. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Not really, most supercar owners I know tend to prefer to keep catastrophic failures on the low so that they can more easily sell the car later after the appropriate fixes are completed.

The transmission discussion is a very broad one, just as an example, when I had mine there was an issue...they changed out the whole transmission under warranty but after-the-fact they realized the problem was actually down to the paddles simply not engaging.

I didn't complain, I got a freebie transmission, but the car was at the dealership for 3+ months...

9. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    How much is a McLaren battery??

10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Umm... I would hope so.

MP4 = 2 turbos
    360 = 0

11. redspyder

redspyder Karting

Jul 10, 2012
    california
    Full Name:
    Steve Landaker
    I forgot one other things NO STICKY PARTS IN THE MCLAREN!

12. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Not trying to justify sticky Ferrari parts, but the McLaren does have a 5-10years time advantage depending on which which model you're trying to compare against (360/430)...hardly worth comparing if you ask me...

13. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    ...Spent a few hours sitting across from a yellow Mp4 while my 360 was getting detailed.... Found I really like how the car looked, even better with the doors up.
    I don't think I would care about the sound quite frankly. Yesterday I met a Tesla Model S at a traffic light just before heading up a mountain pass....I had a couple nice revs up to ~7.5k rpm through 3rd gear, he gave me a smile and a nod (while beside me) and silently left me in the dust.... Pretty cool even with no sound.

14. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    Those performance Teslas are quick......

15. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    Hey, we all have bias and preference.

P.S. I'll take that P1

Manda racing likes this.
  16. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I don't have anything to add about the Macca, but the "all British cars are sh#t" viewpoint isn't warranted, at least not today. The cars your father owned were from another era. I owned two Astons and they were extremely reliable. No issues. Wish I still had the V12V.

17. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Answer: $3400 from the dealer.

18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    His DB-7 (i6 - stick) always has something wrong with it. Between the locks and the leaking rack this year.. ;)

19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    That better be a Lithium Ion battery encrusted with emeralds from the royal jewels. WOW!

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  20. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    agreed.
    I had a sweet 993 4S for many years, passed it on to another lucky boy to buy the 3 pedal 360.
    The two cars certainly have analogs, but I have no regrets about moving away from the 993 to get the 360. Well.................... I DO miss the superior 5 gauge cluster.

Craig

21. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    Haha

22. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    The battery is $400, installation is $3000:)

23. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I considered a Mclaren before I purchased my 430 spider, and my sense after driving both cars was that for a weekend car the Ferrari had the perfect combination of looks, speed, and excitement for the street. If I was looking for a car to handle some daily driving the Mclaren is way ahead on refinement.

24. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Still a car of a different era. That's a pre-Gaydon car. DB9 and on is a completely different thing.

There are plenty of people that say the same thing about Italian cars, based on their experiences with cars of days past. The viewpoint is wrong as to modern Italian cars, just as it is as to modern British cars.

25. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    I can't stand the sound of a turbo charged engine so I prefer the naturally aspirated flat plane crank V8 of the 430. My $0.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk