Alternative to $409.00 Coker XWX tires | FerrariChat

Alternative to $409.00 Coker XWX tires

Discussion in '308/328' started by weber308gt4, Jun 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. weber308gt4

weber308gt4 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Westchester, NY, USA
    Full Name:
    Don Grossinger
    Is there a reasonably priced alternative to the re-manufactured Coker / Michelin 205-70xVR14 original sized tires.

I would prefer to stay away from 16" wheels, etc. Just standard size.

Thanks!

2. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Vredestein Sprint Classic 205/70/14 about $275 each

3. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    With a Michelin at $110. Not high speed rated, and more of a general purpose tire. But, it's a fraction of the cost.

Sid

4. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    #4 tinterow, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    I'm going to be the stick in the mud here :) make sure that whatever tire you use it meets the speed and load rating, do not use a lower speed rated tire with the assumption that since you wouldn't drive that fast it doesn't matter, it does and opens up liability issues in the event of an accident.

I'm facing a similar dilemma with my DD, most every friggen tire in the size I need is a light truck tire and would not be safe to use, so I have to either pay up for the proper tire or move up in tire size to something more common these days. Sucks.

6. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    Do any of us know of an instance where an insurance company refused a claim because they decided the tires didn't meet the car's requirements, even though the tires didn't relate to the mishap?
    I am the only one who drives my car and I can assure you there's no where around here where I could approach 112 MPH sustained speed, which is what the tires are rated for, nor would I have the urge to do it if it was possible.

7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#8 dm_n_stuff, Jun 7, 2016
    Everything out there is T or S rated. These are sedan tires. But, keep in mind that today's technology and tire quality is 30-40 years better than what came on the car originally.

I had Sumitomo's on my 246GT until I switched to XWX for the look, far more than the performance..

I think BF Goodrich Comp T/A might work for you. Has more of a period look, since it does date back to the dawn of time.

But it is S rated.

Readily available at Tire Rack, walMart, Sears, etc.

D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Just passing along the info that the tire mfg's note. A higher speed rated tire will handle better at low speeds, like 35mph turns where roll over of the sidewall effects stability then a lower speed rated tire. The speed rating and load index are tied to each other in that the load placed on the tire and the speed it can sustain do not destroy the carcass, even at low speed.

The XWX tire for the 308 has a load index of '89' and a speed rating of 'W'.
    Per michelin,
    A construction designed to reach 300 km/h (186 mph)

The special features of the XWX ensure that it delivers outstanding performance, combining speed, driving pleasure and safety. The original design of its internal construction, together with its flexible carcass give exceptional comfort when travelling at very high speeds. As it is a VR category tyre, the XWX is now homologated for use at a maximum speed of 270 km/h (167 mph).

Is anyone going to stop someone from using an inferior rated tire, probably not, most national tire chains might though. Go to tire rack and search for a tire for a '80 308, it'll come up with nothing, go directly to Dunlop ans same thing, no tire available. The size exists of course but not with the load and speed rating.

As to litigation? why take the chance?

9. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    As SMG2 has stated, purchase tires with the proper speed rating. They are better in a number of ways. One of the first things I check when looking to purchase a performance car(especially a Ferrari) is the tires that the owner has fitted. When I see that someone has tried to save a few bucks on tires I wonder where else they decided to cut corners.

10. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
  11. weber308gt4

weber308gt4 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Westchester, NY, USA
    Full Name:
    Don Grossinger
    I am currently running the Vredestein Sprint Classic tire. Tread getting low.

I was never very happy with the dry traction of this tire, so was looking for an alternative. I used to have Pirelli P4000 tires that were very nice, but again, wore out.

I would be very happy with NOS P-4000's.The P-4000's were half the price of the XWX's. I just do not want to spend $1700.00 for 4 Coker XWX tires, if it can be avoided. Looks like these are my only good choice and I might just have to bight the XWX bullet after all.

12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    It always makes me chuckle when people refer to a 308 as a 'performance car' that needs high performance tires. Remember that in 2016 just about anything off the lot will blow the doors off of a 308 in acceleration and cornering despite being significantly heavier. Tire technology has come along massively since the 308 was new and even the cheapest tire out there is miles better than the XWX the 308 was originally fitted with.

For my car I bit the bullet and put on the XWX's because it was the only tire that looked right on the car. That said the new production Michelins ride really nice and are my only choice for the correct classic look.

13. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    You're right, unfortunately the 14" tire size is far more common to light truck tires and the majority of those tires do not have the right load and speed index rating.

14. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #15 Albert-LP, Jun 8, 2016
    This one looks to have the correct speed index (V, as on papers) and a by far exceeding load index (95).

At 30% (or less) of the XWX price, and maybe is even better.

ciao
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Rob,

What new production Michelins are you referring to?

Thanks.

Jack.

16. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I am referring to the XWX tires you can currently buy from Longstone or Coker (same tire).

17. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    So we all know the XWX is right and is a very good tire.

The BF Goodrich Radial T/A flipped around blackwall out is a great tire alternative. Stock sizes and about $100-120 a piece. Has a nearly identical look to the XWX.

18. Gator1

Gator1 Karting

Sep 23, 2014
    Westport, Ct.
    Full Name:
    Herm
    Purchased a set last year from Longstone. Great service, no problems at all. Free shipping straight to my mechanics shop.

19. Gator1

Gator1 Karting

Sep 23, 2014
    Westport, Ct.
    Full Name:
    Herm
    I believe it cost me 1200 for a set of 4

20. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks. I thought maybe your were talking about a Michelin other the XWX.

21. weber308gt4

weber308gt4 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Westchester, NY, USA
    Full Name:
    Don Grossinger
    Is the Maxxis available in the USA from a dealer or importer? They look good.

22. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    I put the XWX's on my GT4 because the ones one it when I bought the car were 25 years old and they were surprisingly not even cracking. I really like the original look and since I don't plan to drive the car too hard they will expire with time before I wear them out.

23. 1Superleggera

1Superleggera Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2011
    North East
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Is anyone on here running the Coker XWX's? The reason i ask is on the model a ford forums (i realize that it is a totally different style of tire) it is said that to get four good Coker tires you have to order six of them and send the two worst ones back.

24. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    All of the XWX's out there whether they be sold by Coker, Longstone, or whomever are made by the classics department of Michelin. I have never heard of tire problems with the XWX's and am currently running two different sets on a Dino and a 308. In both cases they balanced with little weight and were perfectly round and true. Nothing to worry about there so I am not sure what is going on with the Ford guys (maybe a bias ply thing).