New battery choice | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New battery choice

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ferraridriver, Jun 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. colamclean

colamclean Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    Don't feel bad about having someone else do the job - not as easy (for me) as it has been described. Battery is heavy as hell and very awkward location. I did the job today following descriptions and instructions from old threads (thanks Taz!). Installed the Interstate MTP 91/T6 after my battery suddenly failed to hold a charge this past weekend.

Next time, I will have someone else muscle it in place - easier and much cheaper than trips to the chiropractor. Our 575m starts and runs like a champ once again.

2. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Plus they sent a tow truck to take me to the dealership along with my car... No cost to me :)

Thank you for making me feel better about myself:)

3. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    When I talked to interstate batteries today gave them the make model of my car they recommended the following battery.

MPT 48 H6-H/D

That's the same one the dealer put in my car, they said it's the one Interstate provided to them as a replacement for MP-91.

I thought I would check with the interstate since it wasn't one of the batteries that you guys were talking about, I just wanted to make sure it was correct.

So that would be one more choice for anybody needing to replace the battery in their 550.

One more thing, the technician told me it was actually a better fit then MP- 91

Cheers

4. drake123

drake123 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2012
    Pa
    Full Name:
    Drake
  5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bill- That was the alternate Interstate battery to the MTP-91 that I published in my battery document a few years back, except it was just a plain old MTP-48H6 5 years ago.

6. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    I have not been in the battery buying business for the last five years so I called the interstate to ask for a recommendation for my car.
    I gave them all these MT7 AGM-34R/ MTP-91/T6 &
    MTP-48H6 H/D she spent some time checking everything size etc,and then recommended the MTP-48H6 H/D actually I was pretty impressed with her, she asked quite a few questions about the car and my use of it and her conclusion was that for me this was the best battery.

If you feel I would be better off with one of the other batteries please let me know it would be very easy for me to have the dealer or switch it out... I do respect your opinion.

Cheers

7. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'd go (and I did) with am AGM battery if I were you although it's more expensive .

Having no vent there is no possibility of corrosion in that area which is right above the fuse panel.

Read this

Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) Battery Information - Battery University

Did the Interstate lady say why she didn't recommend the AGM MT7-34R battery?

8. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Hi Dave, yes she did. she said it would be much more than I needed because the AGM is made for police cars ambulances etc.

She mentioned as stated in your article that it was more for cars with lots of accessories (to run power-hungry accessories such as heated seats, steering wheels, mirrors and windshields)

She also talked about the additional cost which I told her was not an issue, but she still recommended the one that was put in.

Having no vent was something that I didn't consider because the car has never had a AGM battery in it.

I didn't know anything about them until I just read the article.

I'll talk to my technicians and see what they think.

Thanks for letting me know, I always appreciate your input.

9. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Bill, you should have told her that excess is a way of life with Ferrari owners ;)

10. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp

I am definitely laughing out loud......

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bill- The one you got should work fine. The one Dave got should work fine, too. Lots of good choices out there. Mine still has the MTP-91 in her, but they are NLA, so not decided on which one to get next. The vent hose from your old battery should be ok for the new one and if not, the vent kits from Interstate are less than $10. Interstate part number 5 years ago was #7003051.

12. alanF456M

alanF456M Rookie

Mar 10, 2016
    Gig Harbor
    Full Name:
    Alan Teed
    Guys, just spent $5k putting new AGM Lifeline batteries on my boat. Batteries are the lifeblood of both Sail and Motor boats. Car batteries have a relatively easy life in comparison with boats. Cars have short and steep discharge periods during starting and then prolonged recharge. My Lifeline AGMS are designed to withstand a far more onerous regime with relatively deep discharge to around 60% on a regular basis followed by bulk charging over 130 amps. The experts on this panel know what they are talking about and this is a case of bigger/more expensive (both type Optima and other AGM and thicker lead) is not necessarily better than "fit for purpose".

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Alan- One of the big advantages of AGM batteries is the ability to be deep discharged (60% is really deep discharge, even 80% is considered deep discharge) multiple times and recharge with little or no degradation. Cycling like that would quickly kill a normal lead acid battery. But that cycle, like you said, is not normally seen by a car battery unless it is left for extended periods of time without the car being started.

14. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Thank you Terry, I'll have my tech in vegas check (I'll be there Monday) to make sure that it's vented, I'm pretty sure the tech here would have done that when he installed it.

Always better safe and sorry.

Thank you again!

15. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #40 308 GTB, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    That my friend is quite the endorsement :)

I saw that in your earlier post but it sure works works better with the picture.

Take care Barry

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Barry- One of the reasons for the AGM batteries is that those Hummers can see very steep climb and side angles and they are also qualified for air drop. With an AGM battery, orientation does not make a difference and you could even mount one upside down and it would not care. Normal lead acid batteries (AGM batteries are lead acid, too, just different configuration for the plates) would slosh and possibly burst from the impacts.

18. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Sometimes my car can stand for months at a time unused, I'm about to go to Atlanta
    to work on the new "MacGyver", so my car will stand with the tender till labour day,
    Is there a preferred choice in this instance.
    Daniel.

19. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #44 ferraridriver, Jun 9, 2016
    According to Terry the 575 came with a Fiamm AGM battery and since the 550 and 575 have the same alternator so I don't foresee any charging problems. I have an Interstate battery tender that specifically states it's good for an AGM battery.

My problem was not fitting the vent tube on the MTP 91 because the stainless heat shield interfered with it. My mistake led to a lot of corrosion under the battery, I had to replace the aluminum heat shielding under the battery. The AGM battery negates this issue.

I see absolutely no downside to fitting an AGM battery and I don't have to worry about corrosion.

I see in Barry's picture the stainless steel heat shield is missing, I have noticed this in other pictures of battery installations. What's up with that?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Dave I can offer that on a 575 it's a heat wrap type shield versus the SS apparently on the 550.
    Have a naive question regarding the Interstate battery charger.
    I inherented one of these with the car, a 1.5 amp version. At 1.5 amps am assuming it's a trickle charger? Is it still safe to use with the battery switch still on? Did a search for more info on the charger and found little and if I read correctly a lot of trickle chargers are under 1 amp.
    Battery is an AGM Braille. The charger has been used twice in 6.5 years (switch off) just to be sure there was a full charge when the car was not run for long periods. No complaints with this battery. When it finally goes, another will be installed. Simply less worry.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    FL

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #46 tazandjan, Jun 9, 2016
    Dave- Mine does not have it either. Not fitted to the 575M according to the parts catalog. We had a wrap around instead, $74 from Ricambi for number 39.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Bill, I have heard several concerns about proper charging of AGM batteries. I have several older Interstate battery tenders and have never had a problem in over 15 years of use just hooking them up on lots of cars. I never bothered to turn off the battery switch.

For the new AGM battery I went to Interstate's site and they show two tenders suitable for AGM. One is not available in California or Oregon because it will not automatically turn off after 80 hours!!!!!!. That's not a big help when we travel for three or four weeks at a time so I had the 48 state model sent to John in Texas where they are not so concerned about energy use. He then forwarded it to me. (Please don't tell the California authorities)

I'm not all all positive this was necessary, just wanted to be on the safe side. ;)

Here's the tender I bought.
    https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

23. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    I won't tell on you if you don't tell on me I have this one :)

I have it wired to the battery so I just have to plug it in, makes it very very easy.

https://www.amazon.com/Deltran-Battery-Tender-021-0128-Charger/dp/B00068XCQU/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1465508749&sr=1-1&keywords=battery+tender+plus

Got it back in 2009 before yet another ridiculous California law !

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Another case of regulations gone berserk. So I guess in California they would rather have a tender shut off after 80 hours so your battery will go flat and you waste all kinds of energy having to recharge it or drive all over town for a replacement. Genius at work.

25. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Ha, don"t get me started ):