F355 won't start or crank - despite new starter & battery | FerrariChat

F355 won't start or crank - despite new starter & battery

Discussion in '348/355' started by dreamcarswest, May 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dreamcarswest

dreamcarswest Karting

Apr 4, 2007
    #1 dreamcarswest, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
    So I've recurring starting problems recently with my '95 spider. She's going back to the shop tomorrow but I'm curious for possibilities:

I had trouble recently with occasional "no cranks" - my mechanic diagnosed the problem as being starter solenoids. So the starter was rebuilt, and within a couple weeks the starting problems are back again.

At first the problem was only hot starts - refusing to crank after driving for a while and hopping out for a few minutes to get a coffee, etc. Then after sitting for a while she'd crank and start again.

Now however, she simply won't crank at all, and after twisting the key there is a brief honk/whine sound for maybe 3/4 of a second immediately after I try to crank.

Coincidentally I just got a battery tender installed as well. Fuel pump is less than a year old.

Ideas welcome :)

2. Garvin

Garvin Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    Cambridgeshire
    Romove right hand engine bay side cover to expose positive and negative main terminals. Check there is a healthy (>12.7V) voltage between +ve & -ve terminals.

If voltage low then you have a cable problem twixt battery and engine bay (assuming battery is healthy). Need to trace through main power cables and find problem/clean up terminal post connections etc.

If voltage is OK turn on ignition. Ensure gearbox is in neutral. Use a length of wire to connect from the positive terminal post directly to the solenoid on the starter.

If engine cranks well then you have a problem in wiring/connectors twixt ignition switch and starter solenoid. This is usually due to light corrosion on the wiring loom connectors. Trace wires and clean connector plug/socket pins etc. Alternatively you can fit a local relay in the engine compartment - use the ignition switch feed to the starter solenoid to 'fire' the relay' and a positive feed from the main positive terminal in the engine bay through the relay to the stater solenoid - this, of course, just masks the voltage drop/high resistance in the wiring loom and compensates for it.

If the engine does not crank well then you may still have a problem in the main cabling from the battery to the engine bay to the starter motor which only shows up at high loading or the starter motor, despite being rebuilt, isn't functioning correctly.

Hope this helps.

3. ready321now

ready321now Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey
    Had the same problem....turned out to be the broken clip attached to the starter....took me a week to figure it out and solved it with a 15-cent part.

Then my headers cracked the same day I fixed it. $3000.

Check that connection to the starter. -Brian

4. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    good advice, recheck all the battery cables lugs including grounds

5. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I had a similar problem. I would turn the key and some times it would immediately start. Other times I would have to hold the key in the start position for 5 seconds or more and then suddenly, without reason, the starter would engage.

New battery - same thing.

Rebuilt starter - same thing.

Tested starter at electronic shop - all good.

Reinstalled - same thing. Checked for power and had 12 volts at the coil even when the starter wasn't cranking.

Finally bought a NOS starter (FerrParts) - that was 12 months ago and not a single problem.

I think my starter had a small break in the motor windings and would separate at high & low temps. I bench tested it and it works fine on a bench. Put it in the car and heat it up or let it sit outside in colder weather...won't start.

Fun times.

6. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Juat because its rebuilt doesnt mean it will worl. Did he bench test it since the problem came back?