Scotland! What's your advice? | FerrariChat

Scotland! What's your advice?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Challenge64, May 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I'm heading to Scotland with the family in 2 weeks. What's your advice?

- Lock Ness
    - St. Andrews
    - Pitlochry
    - Inverness
    - Coastal driving

What more can you all add? Sorry, I've been closing up issue #4 and this is the least prepared vacation yet.

2. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    One of the most beautiful countries I've ever seen. Drive from Edinburgh to Inverness, and you'll get much of what's on your list.... Also I'd recommend getting out to isle of Skye as well and hit the talisker distillery and the Three Chimneys restaurant. The scenery is nonstop breathtaking. Enjoy your trip and post lots of pics after!

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I studied a semester at University of Stirling. They have the Stirling Castle there which Michael Jackson used in a music video, but I wouldn't go out of your way to see it. I would make sure you hit Edinburgh and the Castle there though. I didn't travel too much. I did go watch a pro golf tournament at St. Andrews and visited Inverness and Loch Ness. Except for the castles back in 1994 there really weren't a bunch of "destination" type places, just pretty buildings and countryside everywhere.

4. neilmac

neilmac Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Oakville, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Neil
    It depends upon what you and your family enjoy doing. It's a ridiculously beautiful country with a rich history measured in terms that are difficult for us on this side of the Atlantic to fully appreciate.

St. Andrews and Edinburgh are musts, they are not far apart. I was in St. A in 2015 for the Open Championship, and charming does not begin to describe it.

Be prepared, everything is expensive. Restaurants, petrol, you name it.

You might want to spend some time at visitscotland.com to get some ideas. Have a wonderful trip.

Neil

5. ECHO CHARLIE

ECHO CHARLIE Karting

Jul 8, 2009
    Take the train .

6. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I've got a list of car museums and a race track or two - but need to double check before posting. Also want to drive around the Borders in Scotland - as Jim Clark apparently learned to drive on the roads there.

7. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Couldn't disagree more!

From London -> Edinburgh/Glasgow, maybe. But after that if you want to see it, drive.

Get out To the West coast & as noted, Skye is worth a visit.

Just be prepared for the weather to be ****.... You may get lucky, in which case buy a lottery ticket. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

8. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    The only one I can recall up there is Knockhill. I vaguely recall another, but at least back in my day they were both complete dumps!..... Which may be what you're looking for, but they're not hosting any GP's any time soon! ;)

Isn't Jimmys old house (or nearby?) a musuem in his name? I would guess that would be cool.

Cheers,
    Ian

9. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    #10 Sunracer, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    With kids, this is great fun: Penguin Parade! | Edinburgh Zoo

A few visits on the malt trail, an evening in a pub with a smokey peat bog fire and a knowledgeable bar tender to guide you through the hundreds of single malts with a sampler

stay in a small castle or stately home as they sometimes describe it

stay on the quiet side of Loch Ness great beauty : )
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Isle of Sky...

Next time I go back I will be seeing Aston Martin's factory.

Robb

11. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #12 Challenge64, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    You have to see Edinburgh. One of my favorite city's to visit.

13. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    If you can swing it, spend a couple of nights at the Gleneagles resort...the place is gorgeous. Great restaurants and a top-notch pub right on the premises. And even if you're not a golfer, there are loads of great activities: off-roading, skeet-shooting, archery, fly fishing, even falconry!

14. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    + 1824

Take some proper walking shoes and explore Edinburgh. So many nooks and crannys. Great city :) and great single malts

15. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    great post. i'm heading to scotland via iceland in a month. i got a stay in glasgow with trip to edinburgh then up through oban to isle of skye then through pitcholory then back home can't wait great thread!

16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Scotland is a great country. very, very friendly people. I like the highlands for sure. Inverness, then go north and head back west to do a full circle. Glenn Eagles, or Skibo or a couple other clubs are nice but usually you have to be invited to stay... ( and get the sales pitch ) ... but worth it. the west of Scotland is so wild and stunning scenery... totally worth driving... but do be ware of having petrol... as there are few places to fill up on the weekends... especially the further north and west you go.

skye and the Hebrodies ( sp ) and Orkney's are cool... a bit of a pain to get there. if you are in to Viking things... that is the place to go.

St. Andrews is quaint... full of golfers... if you play, then old course & Kings Barns are good... Carneustie ( Sp) are also good, but super expensive and frankly I found it painful as its so pretentious golf wise. ( I'm no golfer ....)

Dunns and the border area - Jim Clark's area is nice but not much else to see... lots of peet bogs... York is great if you are into History...

17. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Nothing quite like arriving via a submarine ride up the Firth of Clyde, but you probably won't have the opportunity to do that... ;)

Would echo the suggestions of Edinburgh. Castle is cool & the city is lovely. Myself? I'd love to go back & see Dunoon & Holy Loch today.