575 alarm siren -is it really necessary?? | FerrariChat

575 alarm siren -is it really necessary??

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by datjat, May 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. datjat

datjat Rookie

Sep 24, 2013
    There have been LOTS of commentary on the 575 alarm siren. Well mine gave out the other day presenting as a blown 5 amp +30 alarm fuse immobilizing the car. This blog was GREAT and I found that the problem was a short in the siren which blew the fuse. Once I disconnected the siren, the fuse no longer blows, and the car starts.

OK--here is my question. Why should I replace the siren? Will the immobilzer go nuts and car no longer start? Is there a vehicle specific reason other than as a loud siren anti-theft tool if I leave the siren disconnected??

2. 575 Maranello

575 Maranello Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2013
    So Cal
    I believe the siren can be disconnected without any problems. The only issue will be the little red light on the dash board that will not turn off when driving the car. If the siren functions properly the red light turns off when driving. I replaced my siren with the corvette substitute siren. It works fine. Then again you probably already know about that "fix" I am sure.

3. datjat

datjat Rookie

Sep 24, 2013
    Thank you--that was response I was hoping for! My red light stays on and the vette siren fix is much cheaper than the OEM siren but I don't really want to fight with taking the old alarm out and putting the new one in. I'll see if I can live with the red light. Thank you again for your comment. If anyone else has a different experience I'd love to read it.

4. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Replacing the siren is easy. Just have to remove the right headlight bucket. I did it once with my Ferrari tool kit on the side of the road when the alarm wouldn't stop going off. Loose connection.

5. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    It's easier in a 550. If I remember right, on 575 you also have to work through the bottom or front side of passenger front wheel well. Extra brace/plate on 575 I believe.
    Bill
    FL

6. canadianferrarista

canadianferrarista Formula 3

Jan 16, 2010
    Calgary, Ab. Canada
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    That's right Bill. I changed mine out this spring and the total job took me only 1 hour. I removed the wheel, inner wheel well cover, loosened the undercarriage cover and it was tight to get my hand in there, but I got it done. The dealer wanted over $700.00 for labor to do it in Calgary, but I did pay about $380.00 Canadian for the siren.

7. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    #7 fou, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
    I kicked off my fender to get to that. You mean I could have opened the hood? It was midnight in the parking lot of Walmart buying condoms. The alarm woke up my kid in the back seat. He said" trying to save money for a ferrari ?"

I keep my kid on the back shelf. Teaches him to sit

Keeps rear traction when I power slide into Target with that steering upgrade