1964 Corvette 327/300 matching numbers $40,000 | FerrariChat

1964 Corvette 327/300 matching numbers $40,000

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by bjferrari, May 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjferrari

bjferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    #1 bjferrari, May 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For sale is my 1964 Corvette 327/300hp black/red beauty. Bought this at an auction last year when wife fell in love with it at the preview cocktail party. Well after she drove it twice, with no power steering and drum brakes, the love affair has ended. After purchase I fixed the reverse lock out, replaced the battery, had the original hard top refurbished, replaced the plugs, bought an indoor cover. Soft top is white and as new. Also included are the original tires wheels, with hubcaps, and original radio. These are pics from the auction if you need anymore let me know. Current PA inspection. I have pictures of engine bay will post this weekend. Better than 'good' check Hagerty, a great value!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Probably the next car I add to my collection (not really a Vette guy but always had a thing for C2s) and I like the black/red combo. Unfortunately, I'm about to build a house and my wife just gave me the look when I asked if I could have it. Not to mention my 308 is in pieces out of state under going a complete restoration, over budget and behind schedule.

Beautiful car. GLWS.

3. Dbacr

Dbacr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 1, 2015
    Ft lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Dan
    GLWS.
    Always loved the C2. I had a C1, wife and I love it but it drove like a truck. C2 is the way to go. You can easily add PS, PB and front discs. It will drive like a different car.

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    And for a bit more, add new shocks, springs and suspension bushings for a "new car ride".

5. bikerbob100

bikerbob100 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2007
    Naples/Spider LK, WI
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Does it have the original motor and transmission?

6. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The ad says numbers matching.

7. bikerbob100

Jul 30, 2007
    Naples/Spider LK, WI
    Full Name:
    Bob
    True, but the are varying definitions in C2's what number matching means. Just
    asking if it is the original block and transmission.

8. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Or visit Global West for their suspension kit and beat 911's like a drum.

The black and red combo is stunning!

9. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    If you're going that far just throw a whole new Art Morrison chassis under it!!

Beautiful car at what seems to be a pretty cheap price. GLWS

10. bjferrari

bjferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Hi, thanks for the comments. If don't sell it I will most likely add the power steering and replace the drums with discs as mentioned. The Auction I bought it at advertised it as numbers matching. I did confirm that by checking the block and id plate under the dash, but honestly don't know how to confirm the trans?

11. bikerbob100

Jul 30, 2007
    Naples/Spider LK, WI
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Bryan,
    I pulled this from a Corvette blog
    to most it means that all the parts of the drivetrain (and all the sub parts like exhaust manifolds/ intake manifold, etc) are original and correct matches to the VIN number identifying numbers on each piece. the engine and the trans have ID numbers on them that match the VIN in part. the majority of corvette parts have date codes on them and obviously a part with a number indicating the part was made 6 months after the car was made would indicate it wasn't an original (part that came on the car from the factory) piece. you can drive yourself nuts because there are enough parts with date codes that should be correct to be "numbers matching". the more original "matching" parts, the higher the price will become.

Read more: How to check if a Vette has Matching Numbers? - Corvette Forum

12. bjferrari

bjferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Thanks for the info! It's at the shop now getting an oil change and front end alignment. I will have the mechanic check for those #'S

13. Four7EightBHP

Four7EightBHP Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 20, 2005
    USA - Colorado
    GLWS!

Had a '67 convertible with a 427 - 435 that I bought, fixed and then sold to earn money for college in 1976. C2 is a great car and will withstand the test of time. I'm sure this car will give someone years of enjoyment.

14. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    I put PS and PB on both my '67 SB and my '66 BB, and a front disc kit on my '62. These relatively simple, and reversible changes add so much enjoyment to the cars. The front disc kit, tho' not NCRS, will also markedly improve the safety over drums...easier to repair, too. Since my '66BB is a coupe, I put in PW as well. They, too, are just great.

The PS kit requires one to move the outer tie rod ends to a different position; not hard, just gotta remember to do it at assembly.

I don't believe that NCRS checks tranny numbers at judging, but they look really hard at the number stamping on the pad that sits at the edge of the block's right front end. Ton's of info about these great cars on the net. I've gotten lots of great help from CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette News and Rumors

If the car checks out, and I'd certainly get a PPI, it seem fairly priced.

steve

15. lucky strike

lucky strike Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2015
    Pompano Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Sounds like a great deal GLWS

16. bjferrari

bjferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Thanks for the comments. PPI's are more than welcome, and the block stamping does match. I'll take some pics and upload them when I pick it up this week. (that is it ever stops fricking' raining)!

17. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    Can you PM me the VIN?

18. Hobacks427

Hobacks427 Karting

Nov 2, 2014
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Neil
    The VIN, as stamped on the engine pad, is stamped on the inlet flange of the transmission for the original installation. You pretty much have to have the car on a lift to be able to see it.

It doesn't matter as much if the trans is the original as compared to the engine block.

19. robert344@verizon.net

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2015
    Full Name:
    robert
    where in Pa. is this car located ?

20. bjferrari

bjferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    #20 bjferrari, May 15, 2016
    Here is the VIN and trim tag. Sorry it's upside down. I'm too computer challenged to fix it. Car is outside of Reading PA vin is 40867s105335

21. SBR1

SBR1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2015
    Please try to get a better picture of the trim tag. If you can post a clear picture of the engine pad, I can give you my 2 cents as to whether it's original. As post number 7 stated, matching numbers is not an indicator of originality especially pertaining to C2s. Regardless, nice looking car!

22. bjferrari

bjferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Sorry guys, with the crappy weather and getting my 360 ready for the Concourse here in Reading I didn't get a chance to pick up the vette. Scheduled to pick it up Wednesday, will post all requested pictures posted before the week is out, thanks for your patience.

23. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Just to clarify, the engine has the VIN stamped on the engine pad on the right front aspect of the block....right (pun intended) where the right cylinder head meets the block. Easily visible with the hood open...no need to have the car on the lift, but the tranny numbers, which, as mentioned, aren't nearly as important does, of course, necessitate, a lift. Some blocks have been "re-stamped", so the swirl markings on the pad are important as well. The block casting date is also important, as it should be very close in it's birth to the VIN. Tons of books, etc to decode this mysterious language. steve

24. bjferrari

bjferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    #24 bjferrari, May 26, 2016
  25. bjferrari

bjferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed