One F-car per million people | FerrariChat

One F-car per million people

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Robb, May 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I was told by another F-chatter at an event this weekend - that based on world population and Ferrari production, that there is one Ferrari for each million people on the planet. (Sorry for the run-on...)

That sound close? :)

Feeling lucky.

Robb

2. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    40 thousand ish.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    1 per 35,625. what is the current Ferrari production? I haven't kept up in 10 years, I used 200,000.

4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  5. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I feel lucky...now if only I could get lucky :D

6. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    One new one per million people. 7 Billion people in the world, and Ferrari makes 7,000 cars per year. So, if you got a new one, you are 1 in a million....

7. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
  8. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I still feel lucky

9. nucley

nucley Rookie

Dec 24, 2015
    Full Name:
    George
    There are people who are getting 2 new Ferrari's per year, so it's actually more than one million :D

10. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Presumably there are fewer Ferraris per capita in places like India and China, but more in the Middle East and west. Any guesses as to the ratio for the U.S.? I'm referring to total cars sold, not current sales.

11. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    True. This is where the "train spotters" can weigh in. My estimation would be that at least 5% of cumulative production has been destroyed over the years.

12. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Oh, I think it's a hell of a lot more than that. Serviceable examples of each model drop of dramatically once they fully depreciate and the buyer demographic shifts to where maintenance is a budget buster. Then there's the replacement parts conundrum. Ferrari purposely makes their parts non-standard and as a result, every model eventually ends up with bits of unobtanium. If I had to throw a dart, I'd bet that north of 70% of all Ferrari's ever produced are no longer registered. But there are guys on this forum like Carbon that could make a more educated guess.

13. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Well since there were only about 3000 carbed 308GTS built I reckon I'm about a .0000428571% er!

14. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes, that is spot-on.

Key word is "production" and so there is indeed almost exactly one Ferrari made for every "million persons" on the planet.

Of course, needs the word "made" added to your sentence that followed. But if it were backwards looking, he/she would have said "produced".

World population is about 7billion. Annual F car production around 7,000. 1 car produced (annually) per million people.