New Finnish 512TR owner | FerrariChat

New Finnish 512TR owner

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by juhani, May 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. juhani

juhani Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Juhani
    Hello fellow TR/512/M owners!

I recently made a purchase of a 1993 512TR from an auction in Japan, thought to post to say hi to everyone on this forum. I've been on the look for one of these for a while, and now I found one that fits the specs I had for the car. I also have a 1993 348 Spider that I rebuilt (project thread here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355-sponsored-bradan/394280-348-rebuilding-burnt-spider.html) and I thought that she deserves to have a big sister. So the coming summer I'll have two "cheese grater" sided F-cars in my small collection :)

I also have two GT-Rs, a 1000hp R35 that I've built and a rare R33 Nismo 400R, not sure if anyone over here has any interest in Japanese cars though.

The car is a Grade 4,5/5, has 67k kms on it, has been regularly serviced and has a sports exhaust (don't know which one). I'll have to change the red floor mats to black ones, and I'm not sure how I feel about the carbon fibre pieces in the interior, I have a feeling I'd prefer stock, but we'll see.

Looking forward to getting the car in late June, it's now being shipped to Finland. 12-cylinder symphony awaits!

Here's some pictures of the 512 that I got from my agent in Japan:

512TR Story by juhanisalo | Photobucket

2. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Congratulations enjoy it in good health

3. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Nice car and nice see someone buying car to here.
    (come and visit my garage if you have some spare time)

4. juhani

juhani Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Juhani

For sure! I've seen your DIY posts on Finnish Ferrari Club facebook group (and on here as well) and thought that it'd be nice to get to know an experienced BB/TR/512 guy. I think I've seen your BB at Sports Car Breakfast Club a few years back. I work and live in Shanghai for most of the year, but will be in Finland for summer holiday and some occassional trips. I'm coming there just before midsummer fest, my car should arrive on June 23rd.

5. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    I'm interested in carbon fiber bits if you opt to go back to stock. PM me when/if you you remove them.

6. juhani

juhani Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Juhani
    Ok! Let's see how I feel about them when I've had the car for a while. Any interest changing red floor mats to black ones? ;D

7. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Nice, hope it brings you the joy and happiness you are looking for !

Yes put the black floor mats in the car.

8. juhani

juhani Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Juhani

Sometimes the Japanese have a quite questionable taste... seen some 512s with pretty wild interior colors on the auction lists. Competely bright red etc.

9. bonjoh

bonjoh Rookie

Jun 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Very nice! Don't be too quick to jump to conclusions about the lack of interest for japanese cars though. You might be surprised. I have a 512M but also a Nismo 400R, Honda NA2 NSX-R and Mitsubishi Evo 6 TME among others. Maybe its a nordic thing ;)

Would love to compare notes on the 400R, just came back to Sweden from the Nürburgring with mine and it really came alive on the track! The 512 is my favourite grand tourer, enjoy!

10. juhani

juhani Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Juhani
    Nice to have also another 400R owner here! Rare things them, yours is the third one I know of in Europe. Mine is chassis no. 034, which one do you have? Haven't really been driving mine a lot because it's not registered, should probably do that so I could stretch its legs freely. I've driven it for a few weekends on temporary plates and it really is such a race car!

The R35 is the car I drive mostly, still have to finish mapping it after my latest upgrades. 348 needs a belt change, I hope I'll have the time to do it the coming summer. 512 won't be registered for two years, when it's 25 years old the tax will drop significantly. I'll get temporary plates to take it out a few times on summer holidays. You guys are so lucky in Sweden that you don't have same kind of crazy tax system on cars... for example a new 488GTB costs 465.000€ in Finland, while in Sweden it seems to be around 285.000€. An Aventador is about 700.000€ with taxes! No wonder the Finnish supercar scene is so anemic compared to Sweden.

11. bonjoh

bonjoh Rookie

Jun 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    My 400R is #37, midnight purple. When I brought it over from Japan I didn't think there were any others in Europe but I was obviously wrong. When I brought the car over I thought it would be nice to share as much of the experience as possible, seeing it is so rare, so I contacted some press and gave them the opportunity to do a feature on the car.

You may have seen my car driven by evo editor Jethro Bovingdon in both the print magazine and on youtube, and also just recently by carfection on youtube.

Which is the 3rd one you mention? I know there has been at least one more imported into Europe since mine, there is a thread on the car on a uk gtr site.

I don't know how you'll be able to wait 2 years to drive the 512, that must be frustrating!!

12. juhani

juhani Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Juhani
    Oh, that was your car in the videos! I've always thought it's a British one. So that means I only know of two cars, both midnight purple. My 400R is the on that was on gtr.co.uk forums. The car used to be owned by my friend before me, but he was forced to sell and I wanted to give it a good home.

Actually it's not that difficult because of the circumstances, if I can take it out on two weekend a summer for two years, I'll be happy. Rest of the time I can enjoy the other cars. I only spend about 2 months a year in Finland, so don't have that much chance to drive anyway. I'm working in China at least until summer of 2018, and if I move back home then, I can register the car and drive all I want. Hardest part is living abroad 10 months a year and missing driving and working on my cars!

13. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #13 msdesignltd, May 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Richard Fulton

Oct 15, 2013
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Richard Fulton
    Question guys: Those red brake calipers on Juhani's 1993 512 TR, are they stock or aftermarket ? Is it different on Japanese or Euro cars VS the U.S. ?

15. ml321

ml321 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    London/Munich
    Ohh I remember that evo article and thought at the time - what a cool car to own. Your car looks amazing

16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #16 Melvok, May 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Oem = black !

After 6 years I also painted them red ... I also like a girl with lipstick !

Congrats on the 512TR ! Hope you will enjoy her to the maxx ...

There are issues with the TR family; some of them I counterred succesfully :) You can find them here.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    mel

your "here" link is not working right :(