BALL POLISHING WHEEL SERVICE | FerrariChat

BALL POLISHING WHEEL SERVICE

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Exoticar Auto, Mar 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    #1 Exoticar Auto, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If anybody has ball polished wheels and they would like to have them re-done. Please contact us. We have the ball polishing machine which you drop the wheel inside of and it is blasted/agitated with tiny rubber balls and a chemical solution. Once the wheel is polished we then apply a powder coated clear coat to protect the polished finish. We have done several members wheels here on F chat. Cost is based on what needs to be done to the wheels IE straightened, curb rash repair, deep scuffs in faces stuff like that. For the most part I haven't done a wheel yet that was more than $300. I will get some before and after pictures up ASAP. You would need to remove the wheel from the tire and package the wheel. Than send it to us here in Saint Petersburg Fl. and we will have it back to you within 2 weeks tops, but usually a week or so.
    EXOTICAR AUTO

*We also offer full powder coating services if you want to change colors on your wheels.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    #2 Exoticar Auto, Mar 23, 2016
    If anybody has ball polished wheels and they would like to have them re-done. Please contact us. We have the ball polishing machine which you drop the wheel inside of and it is blasted/agitated with tiny rubber balls and a chemical solution. Once the wheel is polished we then apply a powder coated clear coat to protect the polished finish. We have done several members wheels here on F chat. Cost is based on what needs to be done to the wheels IE straightened, curb rash repair, deep scuffs in faces stuff like that. For the most part I haven't done a wheel yet that was more than $300. I will get some before and after pictures up ASAP. You would need to remove the wheel from the tire and package the wheel. Than send it to us here in Saint Petersburg Fl. and we will have it back to you within 2 weeks tops, but usually a week or so.

*We also offer full powder coating services if you want to change colors on your wheels.

3. 430tdf

430tdf Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Sweet! Wish you were in Canada.

4. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Nice, this is my favorite finish for aluminum!

5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Nice. Has anyone ball polished 458 forged painted wheels?

6. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    We have. Its all dependent on the original paint quality of the wheels. If its a real good OEM quality, once stripped its hard to get the metal polished up properly, doesn't turn out right. However the 458 sport forged wheels in silver have absolute crap paint quality and it strips very easily. Right out of the strip tank they have the raw aluminum look. Then they just need to be ball polished. I did have a picture, will see if I can find it.

7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Would love to see a pic. Other option is to go in a different direction and get the grey forged wheels.

8. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    #8 Exoticar Auto, Mar 23, 2016
  9. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    #9 Exoticar Auto, Mar 23, 2016
    This is the 458 wheel stripped, you can see its not to far off from being a nice polish just as it is (this is pre ball polish machine).I cant find my picture of the wheel after ball polish.

I am also including a pic of a scud wheel stripped. You can clearly see the difference. The 458 wheel has no prime coat where as the scud does. There is no way to ball polish a wheel that was primer coated to this level. We could fire blast (torch) the primer off down to bare metal but it will be to far "burnt" to ball polish to the point where anybody would be happy with the wheel.Kind of like removing chrome, once you do that the wheel is just a mess. You really can only rechrome it.

Both of these wheels were put in the same strip tank using the same stripping agent for the same amount of time.Its a good thing if you want to polish or powder a 458 wheel but its a bad thing as far as the quality of the 458 wheel paint goes, VERY weak.

10. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Formula Junior

What if I have unblemished painted challenge rims. Can you polish them? Approximate cost per rim?

11. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Nice work

12. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    #12 Exoticar Auto, Mar 24, 2016
    Cant polish the painted silver ch rims. Sorry. You have to find a set of ball polished.We used to have lots of both in stock but now I only have the painted silver.

13. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    What is the ballpark cost to powder coat a set of 19's in grey? Assuming no damage.

14. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    If we do customers wheels, we charge $125 per wheel. If your buying are wheels and want a color change we charge $100 per wheel.

15. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Vfinaldi - You might try Phil Levine at Wheel Concepts 855-380-8757 - 1103 Lawrence Dr., Newbury Park, CA 91320 - Home - The Chrome Plated Wheel Leader | Wheel Concepts? . They have done several sets of wheel repair and resurfacing for me (a couple sets of Porsche and AMG wheels) and I have been satisfied with the results.

16. MaseratiCorse

MaseratiCorse Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Stunning work.

17. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Beautiful work

18. Morgie

Morgie Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    SF Bay/Carmel
    This is fantastic news. I have read numerous posts about FChat owners who could not get their ball polished wheel scrapes/scratches fixed. I spoke about this issue at the Pebble Beach Concours last August with a FNA senior management who recommended to buy new rims because ball polished wheels were not repairable.

19. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    #21 Exoticar Auto, May 15, 2016
    Wanting to do a 458 set, whos first to step up? This is a 458 forged OEM wheel stripped to bare aluminum. Just needs to be put in the tank!

20. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    #22 Exoticar Auto, Jun 25, 2016
  21. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie