Drove c C7 Corvette | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Drove c C7 Corvette

Discussion in '348/355' started by F355Bob, May 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    My eyes just automatically focus in on the blonde in the background. I'm not even sure what the other guys are seeing. :)

2. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #52 darkkaangel, May 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Some really odd reason it looks "comfy"

4. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Nice pics (radar detector on a track?? :) ) Both of your cars are beautiful!

The C7 took some styling cues from Ferrari... (I remember when the C6 came out- it took styling cues like the headlights from the 360)- the C7 is not an ugly car to me!

I had the same reaction as others regarding the size- I looked at /sat in one at the dealer before purchasing my 355- the long hood and size were not what I was looking for...I had a 1990 convertible years ago, and it reminded me of that car- was fun the first year or two, but coming from 911s by year 3 I was over it and had to get back into a smaller lighter sports car - sold it to go back to a 911 (before moving to 360 and now 355). For the foreseeable future, I'm hooked on the light weight mid engined V8 Ferrari configuration, complete with screaming high rev capable flat crank V8...I know people's wants change over time, but at this moment I couldn't think of a car I'd get more enjoyment out of than a mid-engine Ferrari for my weekend toy. I love aircooled 911s, but would only want one if I had the toy budget/space for one in addition to the Ferrari :)

5. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    The reason to put coil overs on a Corvette: The spring rate you need isn't available with a monoleaf. Lots of cars use coil overs so there are lots of options. The Corvette is the only car that uses a monoleaf (with this size specification) so there isn't a lot to choose from. It is a spring: It has a spring rate, free length...but it doesn't have a solid height (point at which the coils all touch and the rate goes to infinity).

The reason race cars use coil overs: Easy to change rates by changing the coil over and there are a lots to choose from.

6. hacker-pschorr

hacker-pschorr Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Land of Lambeau
    I can point you towards an Isetta with a Yamaha snowmobile engine under construction on Military Ave. :)

7. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Owning both cars, do you not find that they go about achieving similar results in very different ways?

I always think of the Corvette as being more about basic low down to mid rev range brute force to go fast, whilst the Ferrari is more about mid to top end rev range with more delicacy to go fast - Essentially torque Vs. power.

It would be interesting to get a more detailed take on that from yourself as an owner of both.

As for the Ferrari elitism:

Let's be fair here, the Corvette has always been a bit of a working man's Ferrari - Similar performance but far cheaper to buy and run.

Great car as the Corvette is, it doesn't carry with it the same sort of mythical reputation that a Ferrari does.

If you tell people you own a Corvette, no one is going to look at you unbelievingly and say: "You own a Corvette? - No way! - Wow!", because it's seen as being affordable to most.

If you tell people you own a Ferrari though, then quite often you'll get someone say to you: "You own a Ferrari? - No way! - Wow!", because it's seen as not being affordable to most.

That doesn't automatically make the Ferrari a better car, but it does highlight the fact that, in general, the Ferrari is seen by most as being far more special than a Corvette, not just by owners but by non owners too, which in itself indicates a natural perceived elitism when it comes to Ferrari's (which quite often causes people to make incorrect assumptions about the what the owners are like!).

Again, I'm not knocking Corvette's as I really do like them, I'm just highlighting that in general, they are seen as being a bit more "low rent" than a Ferrari - That's just a fact of life.

8. c7matt

c7matt Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2016
    Greater Detroit, MI
    #58 c7matt, May 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have one next to the 348.. Factory PW PS A/C coupe. I had to swap in a TKO600 (5 speed manual with OD) to make it more usable.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. 97spiderman

97spiderman Karting

Dec 15, 2008
    Sunny Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    JohnAG
    How can anybody knock a corvette? US made and gobs of performance/value to boot. My bro in law has a Z06 and it rocks. definitely not for me, but it's simply a taste thing. My taste is Italian and German, to each his/her own