Overnight parkng | FerrariChat

Overnight parkng

Discussion in '348/355' started by Klas, Apr 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    How do you feel when parking outside at a hotel or something overnight? I have big problem to relax when that happens, resulting in being very hesitant taking the favorite car when that occurs.

2. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    I usually plan my hotels, making sure the carpark is within view of the rooms.
    Then once booked in i move the car to below the room window or in view.
    I do many days driving through france and italy and i have never had a problem by planing ahead.

3. hercfe

hercfe Karting

Apr 21, 2015
    Northeast US
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Things get stolen... Mine is always in the garage at the end of the night...

4. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    On the rare occasion I park the Ferrari outside on a Ferrari event, I am only slightly nervous. Generally the club has people watching the cars, or the area is secured. Overall, you have to be fatalistic about things. The car is either going to be fine or it isn't. Whatever. Have another beer and relax. I was much more insecure when I had a Spider; I generally left it open (better to have someone rummage through the car than slice the top). Now at least the car locks up.

5. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I normally hire these two guys

6. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    #6 m.stojanovic, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Cheap old lose, dirty, torn, poor fitting car cover, preferably with a "Volvo" or other uninteresting name on it....

8. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Judging to the lack of responce to this thread, not many of you acually go away in your ferraris through fear. I am the only one so far, we seem to have a different mind set in Europe.
    Come on klas, your acually in europe, you should know better , all them wonderful locations we have here. Get your self into your ferrari this summer and take a road trip to Italy, again i am touring the alps and italy in july, as i do every summer.
    The Monaco hotels would be empty if it was in america LOL ;)

9. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    I travel often with mine leaving them outside. First I have full insurance. Second I'd like to think they are not the best car to steal. The turn over would be terrible in comparison to VW or audi. Plus I think a Ferrari theif must be well planned and more done at someone's home. Not some drive by, see it and then have a go at stealing one.

Plus a little GPS tracker sticker on the car doesn't hurt ;)

I'm never worried.

10. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I'd have thought "Toyota MR2" or "Pontiac Fiero" written on it would cover the situation slightly better.

The last time I left My 348 TS out overnight was at My friends house 130 miles away from home last summer.

She'd invited Me down to stop the weekend but asked Me to come down in My BMW rather than the Ferrari as it would be left outside over night.

It was going to be two days of glorious sunshine, with no rain or bad weather at all, so I decided to take the Ferrari as the drive to her house takes in some superb, twisty roads ideally suited to the 348 (or any Ferrari for that matter!).

She heard Me pull up and greeted Me with: "You've brought the Ferrari haven't you? Aren't you worried about it being parked outside overnight?"

I shrugged My shoulders and said: "She's parked round the back away from prying eyes, she's alarmed, immobolised, has a tracker fitted and is fully insured, she'll be okay! Besides, if someone is that determined to take her, then they'll take her one way or another, regardless, don't worry about it!".

I had a good nights sleep but was woken up at 7am Sunday morning by My friend who was eager to tell Me: "Your car's still there - Untouched!"

Apparently, whilst I slept soundly all night long, she hadn't slept a wink due to worrying about My car being outside her house. (The fact that I hadn't lost any sleep at all didn't make Me her favourite person that morning!).

So now she's told Me that if I come down for a day I can bring the Ferrari, but if I come down for longer than a day, I have to bring the BMW so she can get some sleep! :D

(I did jokingly ask: "So it doesn't matter if My BMW gets stolen then?, to which she replied: "I hope neither ever gets stolen, but you haven't dreamt of owning a BMW all your life, have you? - And it's a lot easier to replace a BMW than a Ferrari!" It's hard to argue with that logic!)

11. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Never thought twice about it. I used to leave mine overnight all over the place, mostly in and around DC. No one's going to steal a car like that since it would be easily recognizable and found quite quickly. If someone keyed it I'd be annoyed but that's what insurance and body shops are for. In all the years I had that car the only issue was someone who backed into it while parallel parking. Had to respray the bumper but I did that every couple of years anyway. In the end it's just a car, so if I'm not out using it and enjoying it there's no point in having it.

12. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I like this idea a lot. The "Fiero" logo is brilliant. On my summer to-do list now.

13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't typically leave mine outside overnight

14. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I have insurance, life's too short to worry about such things.

15. hercfe

hercfe Karting

Apr 21, 2015
    Northeast US
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I'm not worried about the car getting stolen; but, it does get old replacing emblems... Done it a few times... BASTARDS!!!!

16. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #16 Dave rocks, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    While it's just a car, many of us put blood, sweat and tears into finding the right car and making it perfect. In many cases we own cars that are not easily replaced.

I've done 2 overnight stays with my 98 F1 GTS and both ended well but I was nervous. I park mine far away from accidental trouble. It sucks that we live in a world with careless and some malicious people but it is what it is

17. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Me too. Yea, it's just a car. But still (see below)

I agree. If they steal it...fine. Just make sure I never see it again. THAT is what insurance is for.

It's the door dings, missing valve stem covers, stolen badges, keying, slashed top, etc that really really suck.

18. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Back in the day as a man about town for almost 2 years, I would leave my "beater" 355 car almost anywhere and everywhere without an issue nor fear of issue. I left that car in the dirtiest of dirty holes, LOL, and not a scratch. Oh the joy!

My "cherry" fcars I am a little more up tight.

19. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I should say that out of my five 355s ( yes I am 355 insane ) a 95 berllinetta , 3 spiders , ( one with the fabulous Jett top!) and a GTS + enough spares to Build another B, the car I rebuilt from the ground up has provided me with a lot of joy in terms of actually not giving three craps how much mileage I put on it, where I leave it and driving the absolute piss out of it. It really is quite liberating.
    Of course my others that have paint that looks like you could dive into it and towel off after in absolute bliss leave me a little nervous when unattended.
    I am happier with the one that I can leave anywhere.

20. BucksTifoso

BucksTifoso Karting

Nov 24, 2013
    Furlong, PA
    Full Name:
    Randy Crownover
    I thought my car had been stolen a couple of times. The first was the first night after I purchased it. I was driving it home from Florida to Pennsylvania. I stopped for the night at a hotel off of I-95 in Florida. It was a nice hotel but in a little bit of an "iffy" area. In the morning, as I walked out to the parking lot, my heart sank. There was an empty spot where my car had been. Well, not really. The car is so low that even the top of the couldn't be seen when looking out across the lot and over other cars. This has happened to me in parking garages as well, as the car's shorter length also allows it to hide between neighboring cars. It gets your attention real fast!

21. DavidLMcAfee

DavidLMcAfee Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2015
    East TN
    Full Name:
    David McAfee
    This. The only night I didn't have it in the garage was the night I bought it. And that was because we had to stay overnight.

22. ready321now

ready321now Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey
    I consider my car non-replaceable. It's not that easy to find a Swater's blue spider, in stick, blue top with tan interior. Sure I will get 70K from insurance...BUT would probably wind up only finding something that does not have the same features, like a red one, or an F1...SO I avoid leaving it out of my sight, even at restaurants. I need a window seat where I can see the car. Someone tried to steal my valve-caps last time out. I have locking valve caps, so they were out of luck. I've had it for 2.5 years, and I have left it overnight at the marina, and once for a week, covered, at a friends house when the wire-connector for the starter broke -Took a bit to figure out the simple fix.
    Yeah, I would be a bit less cavalier about security if I had a lot of wealth...just buy a new one...or two. This car of mine....she gets put in the garage at night...or it's hard to sleep. Why? There are idiots out there who will key your car just because he is angry that he doesn't have one.

I usually take the Audi for most trips; the 355 is reserved for fun cruises, special occasions, beautiful weather, Ferrari events and general fun. I average 2x per week to drive her.

23. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    In the 4 years I had my 355 it probably sat in front of hotels 30 nights. I never thought it would get stolen but I was a little afraid some jelous hillbilly would vandalize it. I wasn't going to let it stop me from enjoying my car on multi day road trips though.

I'd look out the hotel window and see people taking pictures of it but no one ever touched it so it was all good.

24. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    It's interesting to see how many owners are so protective of their cars when it comes to having them parked overnight or whilst out for an evening, fearful of anything happening to their pride and joy, but then happily drive them on the public roads.

I would have thought that statistically, you are taking a far greater risk of something happening to your car whilst driving, than whilst it's parked.

Yes, we have had some owners who have sadly had their Ferrari's damaged or stolen whilst parked, but I recall reading far more threads about owners who have had their cars damaged/written off due to accidents that were not their fault.

I suppose it's all to do with a self-belief that whilst you're driving the car, you'll be able to take avoiding action and keep your pride and joy safe, whereas whilst it's parked, with the exception of taking a few sensible precautions about where you park, there's absolutely nothing you can do.

The problem with that theory is, as shown by those Ferrari owners who have had accidents through no fault of their own whilst driving, sometimes you're just as helpless whilst driving the car, as you are whilst it's parked!

I'd have to say that if your car is so precious that you're afraid to park it anywhere, even if it's just for an evening out, then you really need to consider the risks you're taking just driving it on the public roads!

25. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I understand these cars are irreplaceable, and I feel the same way about mine due to the history I have with it. However, I'm just not a worrier. For me, worrying about where I park or what's going to happen to the car would ruin my enjoyment of it far more than if something were to happen to it and/or I had to replace it. Yeah, it would suck, but not taking it where I want when I want because I'm worried about something sucks a lot more for me. That's also why I have standard unlimited mileage and use insurance on it instead of a cheaper collector policy, I don't want to have a mileage limit or not be able to drive it to work if the moment takes me.