where can i buy a birkin bag? | FerrariChat

where can i buy a birkin bag?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by osu_s2k, Apr 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. osu_s2k

osu_s2k Karting

Jun 22, 2013
    Midwest
    #1 osu_s2k, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    I'm looking for a gift for the wifey...i called a local hermes dealer and said i need a birkin bag and she practically spit up and told me i need to have an established relationship with a dealer and how they are customized and take so long to get......... I would have an easier time of getting a 911R. how does one go about buying a bag?

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    are those things still going for $50k?

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    TOTALLY worth it too! :rolleyes:

4. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    vraa likes this.
  5. osu_s2k

osu_s2k Karting

Jun 22, 2013
    Midwest
    Hmpf, my wife would never buy it....maybe 2ndary market it is

6. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    Christies does handbag auctions once or twice a year.
    They also keep some for direct sale.

I know nothing about handbags but like watches, cars and art...do your homework before buying anything from Christies. And don't expect a deal given their high buyer commissions.

https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/christies-handbag-shop/lots/209

7. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    No you can buy one for about 15k, but you have to have had a relationship with a sales associate and spent a lot of money buying other things to be considered for purchasing the bag.

8. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    But surely engaging in relationship with a sales associate would result in the wife divorcing, with potentially costing you not only the 25-30K a Birkin bag costs, but more than 50% of your cash?

AshAP likes this.
  9. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Ha ha...the birkin bag is so coveted by the "material girl" that just being able to get one would be worth it for the material girl for you to have a relationship" with the sales associate...

It would be analogous to having your wife/girlfriend "having a relationship" with the local Ferrari Sales Manager to enable you to have the first 488 "Scuderia/Speciale" in your local city... Ha ha made you think about it didn't I...

10. MrMark

MrMark Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Louisiana, USA
    Heritage Auctions also handles Hermes bags.
    Online here: Heritage Auctions Search, Luxury Accessories [776 791 2268]
    Family members of mine have bought art there and been pleased with their service and representation of items for sale.
    You would do well to study a little bit online about how to spot Hermes fakes, there is a LOT of counterfeit Hermes out there.

11. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    Yes, buying a birkin bag at sticker (i.e. from the Hermes store) is harder (or impossible) than buying a 488 if you are a first time buyer and not one of their PREFERRED/VIP customers. At least you can walk into a Ferrari dealership and put a deposit and then get the 488 at sticker in about 2 years. For a birkin bag, there is no such thing as a waiting list (if the salesperson said she'll put your name on the waiting list, she is lying and just trying to be nice).
    Yes, there are a lot of fake birkin bags out there and they are PRETTY darn good (super hard to spot out) so you may be paying for a preowned birkin or "never been used new" birkin at sticker or above sticker from an online dealer and found out later that they are fake. Btw, a local Hermes store will not confirm that a preowned bag that you purchased online is real or not. Of course, you don't have to worry about fake birkin bags if you buy them from an auction like Heritage but then again you would have to pay a buyer's commission of 25% over the hammered price (for Heritage).

12. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    Anyone have experience with Portero? I was looking for a Birkin as a anniversary gift couple of months ago and when researching for online stores, Portero consistently comes up with good reviews. I did not buy from them, but, was wondering if anyone has?

13. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    #13 vjd3, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
    It's not dissimilar from buying a Ferrari. Hermes is very selective about whom they will sell a bag to, and very vigilant about not giving a bag to a reseller, because new ones fetch big money on the resale market. And fakes abound.

Getting a new one from a store, the best bet is to go to the headquarters in Paris. Women line up out the door to wait for an hour or more just to ask for one daily and get turned down routinely. But they have bags available very day there, unlike in the US. Some people make the mistake of buying a bunch of stuff and then asking for the bag, and no dice. The key seems to be demonstrating that you are have a respect for and interest in the heritage of the company and the bags and other items, as nuts as that sounds for a retail business. Once you do that you can get a relationship with a sales associate and the door is open. Knowing a sales associate at the Paris store is the holy grail among fashionistas. My wife managed to "crack the code" after a few days of trying in Paris and now they offer her a bag every time she walks in there (she goes twice a year) and she doesn't have to get in line anymore. Meanwhile, they are turning everyone else down. She got a Christmas card from the sales associate at the Paris store and it was a BIG DEAL around here. LOL

This is discussed to death on the Purse Forum. I was going to give my wife a hard time for hanging out on there all the time because it's crazy to talk on the internet with a bunch of strangers who are obsessed with some expensive item that takes a miracle to buy new ... and then I thought, um ...

For resale bags, she likes some site called Vestaire and another called TheRealReal ... I guess they authenticate the bag between buyer and seller and have a fairly good track record.

Heritage Auctions is really Neiman Marcus reselling new bags they are getting from resellers. They are usually marked up to almost twice what it costs to buy new at Hermes. Crazy.

BTW, the bags are far less expensive in Paris than they are in the US. Like a new Ferrari, they will not discount the price of the new bag at the stores, ban you if they catch you reselling it, and new ones can fetch crazy money on resale because no one can get them otherwise.

I think a basic Birken will cost about $14k at the store in the US but you can get one for around $9k in Paris.

BTW, if your significant other is into this stuff, there are a bunch of different sizes, grades of leather and colors to choose from. The most popular colors are black and gold (similar to cuoio). Togo or Clemence leather are popular choices because they are textured and wear well. Palladium or gold hardware. 40 cm is the biggest one ... it's really big. 35 or 30 cm is more popular.

I hear about this stuff all the time ... on the other hand, the wife hears about the Ferrari, too. LOL

IloveGT likes this.
  14. jerrym

jerrym Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 4, 2007
    SF/BJ
    Instagram: Prive Porter

15. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Pol, if you are truly interested in a Birkin let me know and I'll set you up with my wife's Sales associate at Hermes then you'll start from there...

Buying from an online site is a risk. Hermes will no longer verify if your bag is real or fake, though you can indirectly find out if your bag is a fake. You would have to simply give them your bag for a SPA treatment,which will cost you about $150 and they will send it off to Paris and they will simply return the bag to you if it is a fake...

16. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    estblished relationship = $10k or more in 1 year at Hermes

17. BentleyC

BentleyC Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    SW FL
    Try Heritage Auctions if time is not an issue. For immediate purchase, try Anns Fabulous Finds online. I've bought and sold birkins with both for my wife. Both are top notch outfits.

18. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    Hermes goods really are very special, particularly leather, luggage, bicycles, etc.There was a Hermes cartridge magazine (box for holding shotgun cartridges) in a Bonhams sale a while back. The English makers (Purdey etc) use oak, brass, and leather with dividers. The Hermes piece had an elegant aluminum tray insert and the leather was exquisite. I have not seen another one anywhere and I don't know if it's possible to order a new one.

19. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Non exotic leather go between $11k-$15k.
    Alligator starts at $60k (Hermes retail) and $20k-$50K premium on secondary market (depending on color rarity, a White "Himalaya" routinely sells for $150k).
    They are great investment, got my wife her first alligator bag in 2003 for $21k at local Hermes store.
    Heavily used, she got a new identical one couple of years ago so she sold the old one for the same price as the new one is now.
    Her collection now is easily worth more then my SA.....

IloveGT likes this.
  20. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    If you are a repeat customer at Hermes, you really get the full customer service, that is part of the whole experience. You are treated very well, like other high fashion retailers (Chanel, Cartier), you and family will always be treated with Champaign, coffee... Personalailized customer service where they know your name and your family members names,, and you are encores to events and shown and have options for things not available to the "walk in" customer. There is a high degree of brand loyalty practiced, as Hermes likes to make their clients really feel special.

This is something, as well as security, that you cannot buy from a second hand Internet retailer...

21. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Do neck ties and scarves count towards getting bags ;-)

22. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Yes, anything that you buy counts and will help you move up the ladder, IF YOU BUY FROM THE SAME SALES ASSOCIATE AND BUILD A BUYING HISTORY.

Neck ties, Twilly's (female small ties/scarfs), full scarfs, Bracelets, Hermes Apple Watches all add up with one person. Do not make the mistake of buying spontaneously from different sales associates or you will "spread yourself thin" and not be considered for a "special" bag when the conference call between the manager an sale associates happens. This is where your name will come up and you will be considered for a Kelly or Birkin...

23. bill59

bill59 Karting

Oct 26, 2010
    bean town
    Full Name:
    bill h
    Hah, I just saw this thread and had to post. First my soapbox, women can spend as much as we men. It's just easier to hide. Anyway, as a long time veteran, as I can tell most of you enlightened men are, the best way is to buy second hand. Most of these bags are hardly used. Plus you don't have to get past the crap at the Hermes counter. Try to walk in to a store to even see one. Each store has at least one, but good luck. According to my wife, who has a certain expertise in this area, they are not a functional bag. Try that argument:) Anyway, fair is fair. its an investment after all Bill

IloveGT likes this.
  24. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas