Mangusta thread | Page 54 | FerrariChat

Mangusta thread

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Mang, Jan 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Didn't Campagnolo use Elektron for the rims ? This Campagnolo's blend of aluminum and magnesium.

2. Mark Charlton

Mark Charlton Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #1328 Mark Charlton, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    I think the Group 4 wheel guys are operating out of Italy? now...Check old posts in Pantera International website.

4. sophiabelakrim

Apr 14, 2016
    The resul is so perfect.

5. sophiabelakrim

Apr 14, 2016
    the back of the car is so design.

6. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    #1332 testamon, Apr 16, 2016
  7. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    Hmmm....you say the late wheels were aluminum? When did campanolo ever casted any road wheels other than elektron before their foundry burnt down in the 80's?

8. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    I did not do any metallurgical tests on any wheels. I own a late car, was missing a spare tire rim, found one and it looked and felt very different. I have had the opportunity to weigh 10 wheels. Some of those were much lighter (as much as 20%) and show a mottled rear face. Could there have been an improvement in the foundry process and a change in the electron alloy? I do not know, the delta value would indicate a different alloy.

9. silvsurf

silvsurf Karting

Dec 18, 2010
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Herbert Putz
    #1335 silvsurf, Apr 17, 2016
    Hi Denis, you are probably right as my spare rim which was the only (probably) original rim with the car is made of some aluminum alloy (first pic). It looks exactly the same like the original magnesium rims.

The other rims which came with my car were some aftermarket products (second pic).

When I got the car I immediately decided to gor for the original rims (you will understand when you look at pic2). Because of the spare wheel which seemed to be original I thought of trying to get the other 4 in aluminum. But as I never saw original aluminum rims offered I was very happy to get the magnesium ones at the end.

Herbert

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    Yes that was very common during that period, in which the same wheel design had detail changes mostly on the back side for reinforcement and smaller details on the face typically. I had four different build dates of the same wheel and they where all different especially on the back side. I recall the later one weighed more than 20%.

Pantera had at least 4 different wheels. The detail changes have been well documented. I believe the were all still elektron though is very possible the mg to alloy ratio has been updated.

the foundry did improved being low pressure casted rather than gravity sand castes after the campy factory burnt down in the 80's for improved strength. You can tell since these had much less of a motted dapper appearance

All the best

11. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #1337 Mang, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    No 'bubble bursting' with regards to wordly appreciation and valuation of these;

De Tomaso Mangusta | eBay

For as much as I know, this one appears as a TOP example, perhaps Daryl, Denis, other experts explain what isn't correct on it? Love the gold.

12. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    Indeed this Goose does look like an early example as reference to the one piece door cards. The underside appears to be in very good shape and perhaps they have fitted a later protector plate as I believe these were on later cars. Obviously the exhaust/ air cleaner / valve covers/ aerial, engine bay chrome, etc are incorrect but could be changed to be original ( with the proviso you can find an air cleaner! ).
    Without seeing the car in person it is hard to judge condition Vs age Vs originality, however these cars are getting so difficult to find and almost impossible to find basically unmolested examples with Jack, tool kit and paperwork.
    Hope someone can view this car and report back to the Mangusta community on the condition and presentation of this vehicle.
    Mike

13. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    I do envy that tool kit.

14. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    Interesting that all the paperwork lists the VIN as US69696.

15. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Sent a note to seller , the VIN is 8MA696..

16. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    Anyone know what happened to the Ebay Mangusta? It's no longer listed...

17. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It's still listed on eBay.

18. Prugna

Prugna Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Unites States
    #1344 Prugna, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  19. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    Thanks guys I must have overlooked it in my searches. Wonder how much interest the ad has generated?

20. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've had a few people ask me about it. The color is a negative in my opinion and the seats don't show well from the pics.

21. teej

teej Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2009
    Pacific Palisades
    #1347 teej, May 7, 2016
  22. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Very cool!

23. Mark Charlton

Mark Charlton Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I second that. Nice artwork!

24. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Seats could easily be fixed by any upholstery guy who's been around. The lack of pictures and the failure to spend a extra buck allowing the pictures to be better view is annoying.