375+ # 0384 | Page 160 | FerrariChat

375+ # 0384

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by tongascrew, Jul 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. superleggera

superleggera Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Dry Heat, AZ
    This multi-year opera with the cast of charismatic characters ended without a proper final and concluding act. Somehow I feel cheated as an engaged spectator in the auditorium for some reason...

2. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    You mean we've followed this saga for years, nearly 4,000 posts, and THIS is all we get??!!!

BOOOOO!!!!!

;)

3. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    #3978 T308, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If the rumors are true.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. VCLG

VCLG Rookie

Mar 17, 2016
    Roma
    Full Name:
    Clemente Ludovico
    now it is time to read again from #1 to #3963. the show must go on. cheers. clemente

5. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    I think its time for a book and a follow-up movie...

6. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    200 pages! finally is not a secret the man can say: Victoria!!!

7. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    This is quite usual process, people engage in lawsuits to judge the quality of arguments and show how serious ( or not) they are in their claims and just before it's too late, they negotiate as this is better than being exposed to the risk to lose it all.

Congratulations that common sense prevails at the end. This should end the process, only people who are not party to the settlement may have the ability to continue to claim, but they need to prove they have a case and reason to convince a judge they should have been a party.

So if settlement included all the parties we know named in the lawsuit, I believe there is a very small risk that this is not the end of to process. Which support my belief that having the purchaser suing Bonhams in London might have been a tactic to ensure the case will be heard in London. Except for the fact that I heard that he does not want to do business anymore with Bonhams. So may be, even if they agreed, he did not like the adverse publicity and energy spent on this case...

8. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    We should sue the SOBs that left us hanging!

9. 250GTTDFZagatoCoupe

Nov 4, 2012
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Josh Richter

Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Great idea!

Where do we file, London or Ohio?

11. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    I would like to know if one of the terms of settlement was that Ocean Joe cancel his membership in Ferrarichat. If the settlement includes confidentiality we should expect that OJ will not be contributing very much more to these pages. Of course as we saw with the Heads of Agreement, in OJ World the signing of a settlement is the beginning, not the end.

Let's speculate at what are the terms. First, all parties agree to bear their own attorney fees. At least this is how it would go in the States. It is my understanding that the billings for attorney fees have long since exceeded the value of car. Only Wexner, and possibly Bonhams, have the wherewithal to reach into resources outside the $19 million pool of money paid in by Wexner, to pay awards of attorney fees. The easiest and cleanest way to deal with the parties' claims to attorney fees is to call it a wash.

Wexner gets a quitclaim from OJ and Kristi Lawson, and an agreement from them to cooperate with Wexner -- or at least not get in the way -- while he exports the car to the US and gets a US certificate of title.

Swaters gets the BC's 50% of the proceeds of sale. Gardner, Ford and Lawson get the OC's 50%. The Florida arbitration ruled that Gardner gets 50% of the OC's share, that Ford gets the other 50% of the OC's share, and that Ford must pay Lawson her share -- up to 30% of the OC share -- from his 20%. Although this won't be in the UK settlement, Ford now proceeds to screw Kristi Lawson out of her share. I expect that OJ persuaded Lawson to have the OC share payable to him alone, with the false assurance that he will pay Lawson her share at a later date.

Does Bonhams refund its Buyers Premium to Wexner? Highly doubtful. Wexner was the driver of this whole mess. If he had not aligned with Ford, this litigation would have resolved long ago. It's unlikely that Bonhams would have preferred to refund the Buyers Premium, rather than to go forward with trial and take its chances.

If you look at these speculations you'll see that they align pretty much with where the parties would have been on June 27, 2014.

Whatever are the true terms, Joe Ford finally gets his payday. The MG can come out from under the tarp.

12. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    $19 million in attorney fees...if that is in fact the case, it is almost perverse.

From what I recall "High Street" barristers charge around 400/500 GBP per hour.

I can't see how the combined work of all parties would require more than 2000/3000 hours.

13. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The way I see it is that Bonhams blinked and settled with Wexner (and I think the key to achieving that settlement was to ensure sufficient compensation had been provided to the OC to finally abandon their title claims in the US).

My guess is the auction house and vendor shared in the cost of providing the compensation required for the OC to abandon their title claims in the US.

M

14. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Did you mean to instead type, "from his 25%?"

Obviously, these speculations aren't quite where the parties would have been on June 27, 2014 when factoring in the massive legal fees incurred by all the parties since then. When I say "all parties," I'm not sure if Joe Ford incurred all that much in UK-based legal expenses being as he seemingly was self-represented for much of that duration. Perhaps he still has some outstanding legal bill(s) to deal with from before he parted ways earlier on with his UK counsel? Also, wasn't there some earlier ruling by Judge Flaux where Ford was found to be financially responsible for some of the legal expenses of some of the other parties to the case?

15. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Bill - 180Out

Please clear some space in your PM box

16. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    That's just a guess ;-)

17. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    It's a wonder how fast things can move when Ford and Lawson don't renege on their settlement agreements. In Swaters v. Lawson, Ford & Gardner (the case that the March 2013 HoA had previously settled): "Consent Final Judgment and Dismissal with Prejudice" filed April 20, 2016 (http://www.courtclerk.org/case_summary.asp?sec=history&casenumber=A1001370).

Also, in Gardner v. Ford & Lawson (the case that was ordered to arbitration): "Stipulation of Dismissal With Prejudice" also filed April 20, 2016 (http://www.courtclerk.org/case_summary.asp?sec=history&casenumber=A1306451).

18. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    "The resolution of the litigation, including the transfer of valid Ohio title and Bonhams' contribution to Copley's costs , finally enables the completion of the sale of the car with the disputes to title now definitively resolved."

So it appears that Mishcon de Reya drove a hard bargain in the settlement negotiations.... Bonhams even contributed to Copley's costs... wow.

Victoria's Secret's Les Wexner finally gets his £11million Ferrari | Daily Mail Online

19. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    the lineage of ownership is now continuous... the courts and litigants collectively must have decided to close the gaps/defects that were apparent from the many legal mechanizations and rulings from the efforts to determine ultimate ownership, if they did not first settle the outstanding claims to ownership in Ohio... the UK court or any other court could not effect a true transfer of title that would be universally accepted and withstand any further challenge in absence of the settlement reached.

it would be interesting to know the total cost of the settlement including legal fees... I would speculate that the amount has a chance of being double or more over the revenue generated by the sale price...someone or their insurance had to dig deep into their pockets

20. 250GTTDFZagatoCoupe

Nov 4, 2012
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Josh Richter
    Do we actually know how much if any of the "hulk" or parts were used in the recreation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    In restorations of this type, the source materials serve as "patterns"......for my money there is probably very little of the original "car" left in the project.

Identifiable castings of course are another matter.

Things like engines, gearboxes, steering gears, those are more impervious to time.
    Those one would think, are the "original bits" of the machine.

Article in the link has a nice video of the car on track...worth watching!!

And lace panties....any good story has some of those........

22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A real heartfelt "THANKS" to all of those that devoted their time and personal expertise, to the legal analysis we have enjoyed here in the thread.

Best wishes to Kristi and Phat Boy, MBz Gurl and those wacky Florida folks, and looking forward to seeing OJ loose in the MG!

There's a family wedding in Key West this weekend, let's head on down...........get some hand rolled cigars in Parate's Alley, and watch the sunset into the Gulf.

23. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    How does one 'restore' new metal exactly? This strikes me as building a complete new car whilst the real one sits rotted beyond repair in a crate.

At least the new owner has the crate of unusable parts to show his friends.

24. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    I believe you are wildly out in your cost assessment, and I am probably more informed than you are.

25. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    I am wondering if Ocean Joe and Kristi Lawson had to pay any of the costs that had already been awarded against them, to put this settlement together. They did have a claim on a pool of money to fund these awards: one-half of the OC's one-half. The joint Bonhams-Copley-Wexner press release reported in the papers states that Bonhams paid something toward Copley's fees. But it is silent regarding the awards against OJ and Lawson.

Anyways, I saw this is the 4,000th post in this thread and I had to snag it.