Anybody Else Wish There Were More "Acceptable" Ferrari Colors? | FerrariChat

Anybody Else Wish There Were More "Acceptable" Ferrari Colors?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Shark01, Apr 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Probably in the minority on this, but I struggle with the lack of color options on the Ferrari models that financially I can afford (430, 599, 458) over the next couple of years.

Of course, Corsa red over tan is the gold standard.....but the thought of it is boring, its not even a metallic shade. Corsa red over nero appeals more but they seem to be limited in number, as is the metallic red.

Everything else seems to be considered an off-color made in limited numbers, and I don't find any lighter shades I like anyway. And a Ferrari doesn't seem to be the type of car one should wrap.

Meanwhile, the two major competitors (Lamborghini & McLaren) offer a full pallete of colors, with alot of metallic paint options.

So while the goal this time around was to buy a modern Ferrari in the next couple of years, this keeps bugging me.

Oh well, rant over.....I'll either get over it or buy something else

Time to cue up the story of Clarkson's green 355...LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8YZzGaprtA

2. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    what would be your preferred color?

3. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I know what you mean, they make so many, you see them everywhere, if only there were some unique colors for an otherwise everyday car.

4. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Doesn't Ferrari have a paint to sample option???

Mark

5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I colors I've seen that appeal the most are orange, green, and metallic white. Saw a Bianco Fugi 430 once, and it was stunning.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I do not understand you dissatisfaction. How many car manufacturers offer to let you have a car in any color you want?

7. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I think the issue is the OP cannot afford to buy a new Ferrari so, since he is buying a used one, he is dependent on the limited color choices the majority of original buyers chose for their cars.

And those original buyers had a preference for mostly red/tan cars.

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yes, very true. And the use of the word "acceptable" in the title doesn't refer to my particular opinion, but instead what the community of new car buyers select as "acceptable" when placing orders over the past decade.

In the late 1990s, as Clarkson states 85% of new buyers were selecting red.

Obviously if Ferrari was inundated by PTS orders for say orange metallic, the factory would start offering that I imagine.

And even in 2016, it doesn't appear like 488 buyers are bucking that trend of resale red.

I understand a topic like this will draw alot of derision (sp?), akin to going to a Porsche forum and declaring silver is boring, but I am curious if there are others who wonder about this.

9. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    so in other words, you bemoanthe fact that most new Ferrari buyers made the decision to go with popular colors and very few chose adventurous ones.

10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Sure, and that goes to back up the old stereotype that Ferrari owners are more conservative than Lamborghini owners. But its not just Ferrari, I see the same situation when I look at Aston Martins.

One of the reasons I ended up choosing a Lamborghini as a first exotic was the color choices, and I ended up with a beautiful pearl yellow color.

My ultimate dream was to have one of each though.......

11. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I think most vehicle manufactures only offer a limited color selection as most cars are dealered ordered and they want what sells easily - white, black, grey or silver. In the case of Ferrari owners, they tend to order red. With Ferrair the resale is such a big deal owners seem reluctant to be very adventurous with such a big ticket item. After all color is so individual not a lot of prospective Farrari owners are going to want a "day glow green" Ferrari even at a great price in the resale market.

12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    But how is this different from Lamborghinis? Same big ticket pricing, same desire to peserve resell (the low miles cult is just as strong over there), its just that a wider array of colors are "accepted".

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    We went out of our way more than once to find a used Ferrari in a color other than red.

If you are more interested in the Mattel hot wheel colors Lambos are often seen in you will continue to be disappointed. Lambo has long admitted they market cars to those that want to stand out and be noticed. Ferrari hopefully will never go that low.

14. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I don't think that new Ferrari buyers are necessarily conservative, but most certainly are looking at resale values when they're putting 300-500K on the line. The fact is that most "first Ferrari" buyers want the red, and most "first Ferrari" buyers buy used. That means that the best economic bet for most new buyers is to buy red for the next owner.

15. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Both are big ticket items, but the demographics are different.

Mark

16. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    One option - Wrap the car to make it look the way you want.

17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Valid suggestion, I'm just not a wrap kind of person, guess I'm at least somewhat conservative.

18. tikitiki

tikitiki Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2014
    Windermere, Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If I was going to buy a new Ferrari to drive a few months and turn over I'd buy a red/tan car. A special car I want to keep would be anything but red/tan. If you look at a lot of the Speciales and Apertas they seem to be breaking out of the red/tan mold. The great thing is you can order a car any color you want it just has to be new. I don't think many of the " normal" Ferraris will ever break away from red. Most people want red but there will always be people looking for different and unique colors.

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Something wrong with Rosso Corsa?

90% of all first time buyers disagree!

:)

20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    What you struggle with is lack of money.
    If you have money, you can get Ferrari to paint the car any color you can provide as a sample, along with any of the 40+ colors they have "on the books".
    Then there are dozens of leather colors, hundreds of ways to spice up the interior, from piping and color stitching, the list goes on and on.
    What you struggle with is not lack of choice, but being the person making the choices.
    You only get that choice when buying new.
    Sorry.

{Now if we only had a transmission choice....}

21. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    Is it not about 1/3 now?
    OP, you should be able to find a Silver metallic. Several variations of Silver tone.

If you really, really want an unusual colour, like flat brown, Metallic brown / bronze, you can always have the car resprayed.

22. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I agree that the OP's 'problem' isnt with Ferrari, its with New Ferrari Buyers....

23. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Right. Complaining that first buyers don't want neon green is a little strange. Solution is to buy new and spec the way you want (Ferrari will paint it any color), repaint your used Ferrari, wrap your used Ferrari, or buy a used Lamborghini.

24. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Actually the most popular color coming down the line when I was at the factory some years ago was...
    White. The guide noted that once upon a time they knew any white car would be a Japanese order, but it was the current trend.

25. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    If you think other manufacturers do not also up charge for anything besides the standard color palette, you have not shopped them. The GT3RS was offered in two colors for no extra charge: white and silver. The McLaren volcano orange or volcano red or papaya spark are certainly not standard color selections included in the base car price.

I finally bit the bullet and did a triple yellow for the TdF. Until then, I'd been quite pleased with resale red or black. If you were selling these, you'd realize the pain of selecting a custom, less than popular color. It both costs more and sells less quickly in general. Try getting your money back on a $20,000 extra cost color for a base model vehicle.

allynespri likes this.