Ferrari- involved accident on Georgetown Pike in Great Falls, VA on April 16, 2016 | FerrariChat

Ferrari- involved accident on Georgetown Pike in Great Falls, VA on April 16, 2016

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by gt1995, Apr 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    There was a multi-car crash on Georgetown Pike in Great Falls, VA this morning around 8:20a, just when many were starting to leave Katie's Cars and Coffee. I had to turn back when the road was closed close to the beltway, but word is that a Ferrari, possibly a 599 GTB, may have been involved. I didn't see one at Katie's but does anyone know who it may have been? I hope that everyone involved is OK.

2. SBS20912

SBS20912 Rookie

Jul 13, 2013
    Takoma Park, MD
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I saw the crash actually happen. I'm 95% sure the car involved was a 599. I was heading out after a great morning at Katie's Car and Coffee. The Ferrari was heading towards Great Falls. There was one car I front of me but I heard the tires screeching, a car get hit and saw the Ferrari in my lane of traffic and then try to turn back into its lane. The flatbed was stopped in traffic. The ferrari's passenger side hit the corner of the flat bed and exploded.

I think the crash was related to an earlier crash involving an old Honda because there were EMTs on the scene by the time I parked and walked up.

3. Sicilian1

Sicilian1 Karting

Oct 7, 2013
    Bethesda,MD
    A witness who drove by the accident showed me a picture of the car while I was at Katie's. It was a maroon 599 that was totally destroyed. The witnessed thinks there was a fatality. Hopefully the later is not correct.

4. Replevin

Replevin Karting

Oct 29, 2014
    Washington, DC
    I drove by and the police were on the scene directing traffic. Fire had already departed (from what I saw). Maroon 599 completely smashed. There was a huge semi with a flatbed (with a tractor on the flatbed) and it looked like the Ferrari had spun into the side of the flatbed. I can't believe that a truck that size would be allowed on Georgetown Pike. Hope everyone was ok.

5. SBS20912

SBS20912 Rookie

Jul 13, 2013
    Takoma Park, MD
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I saw the accident happen today. I was leaving the C&C and the 599 was heading towards great falls. The 599 hit the corner of a big flatbed trailer transporting an excavator and exploded. The 599 was destroyed. I stopped and definitely didn't see any serious injuries. The driver or passenger of the 599 was sitting upright on the ground and EMTs were at the scene. Likely because of prior accident that may have actually been the distraction that caused this one. Hopefully his condition didn't change after I left.

6. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    #6 gt1995, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Terrible... My thoughts are with the driver.

8. DetailGuy

DetailGuy Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    Ashburn, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Very unfortunate.... Best wishes to the people involved!

9. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Must have been an extremely hard hit. Look at how the roof is rotating around the "B" pillar.

10. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Bending from the force of the "jaws" after cutting them out from passenger side.

11. ramingti20

ramingti20 Rookie

Aug 23, 2008
  12. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Just had someone write me on facebook to make sure I was okay. Car does look a bit like the one I sold last year.

13. SBS20912

SBS20912 Rookie

Jul 13, 2013
    Takoma Park, MD
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #13 SBS20912, Apr 16, 2016
  14. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Prayers for the driver. I can relate, having recently totaled my 360, but nowhere near the severity of this accident.

Sent by incredibly fast electrons

15. AlxSTi

AlxSTi Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2011
    Wilmington, DE
    Wow, that's so painful to look at for many reasons. Was there a passenger as well? Any updates? I don't see deployed airbags..? Hopefully everyone is alright.

16. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    Hope everyone is ok. Looks bad.

17. fgcfire8

fgcfire8 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Montpelier Va
    Full Name:
    Frank Castelvecchi
    I suspect airbags did not deploy as impact was at too much of an angle. The massive sheet metal strip is due to the rear of the truck being too high on the car for the structural parts of the car to be involved

18. bonalonio

bonalonio Rookie

Nov 27, 2015
    #18 bonalonio, Apr 17, 2016
  19. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Poor taste IMHO.

20. exlondoner

exlondoner Rookie

Jul 24, 2007
    +1

21. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    +1 agreed. We all have a responsibility to drive correctly and safely on public roads. If you want to test the limits of your car do it on the track where you can learn properly the right way to handle your car.

I don't know anything about this event other than what I've read online. But those photos really disturbed me. That was a terrible event. The car is just a car. But a life is so much more. I seriously hope the drive and any passengers (if any) are ok? Thoughts and Prayers for the owner and friends/family.

Bill P.

22. scrappin35

scrappin35 Karting

Dec 13, 2011
    FT Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Jim H
    + 1 I hope everyone is ok

23. bonalonio

bonalonio Rookie

Nov 27, 2015
    They are in big trouble. You seriously think everything is ok? The extent of the damage revealed in the photo you should be disturbed.

24. cheny4

cheny4 Karting

Feb 15, 2009
    No VA
    Full Name:
    Cheny Y.
    +100

25. blue_myriddn

blue_myriddn Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    From the Fairfax County Police Department News
    https://fcpdnews.wordpress.com/2016/04/18/the-daily-blotter-weekend-recap-april-18-2016/

RECKLESS DRIVING: Georgetown Pike/Towlston Road, 04/16/16, around 8:15 a.m. Police responded to a four-vehicle crash and charged one driver with reckless driving. An investigation determined a 65-year-old man was driving a 2007 Ferrari westbound on Georgetown Pike near Towlston Road. The driver crested a hill and discovered traffic stopped ahead for a vehicle waiting to make a left turn onto Towlston Road. The driver, attempting to avoid a rear-end collision, crossed over the double yellow line and collided head-on with a 2005 Acura RSX, driven by a 57-year-old Leesburg-area man; the Acura left the roadway and came to rest against a utility pole. The Ferrari continued forward and struck a 2008 BMW sedan in the westbound lane, driven by a 28-year-old Alexandria-area man, then struck the rear of an International Harvester TT flatbed unit that was towing a large construction vehicle, also in the westbound lane, driven by a 42-year-old man, of Fairfield, Pa.

The passenger in the Ferrari, a 36-year-old man, and the driver and passenger of the Acura, a 57-year-old man and woman, were transported to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. No one else required medical attention. The driver of the Ferrari, Josef Tosovsky, 65, of Washington, D.C., was issued a summons for reckless driving.

Very fortunate that no lives were lost in this accident.

*edit*
    and yes, the age suggests that it is this Josef Tosovsky: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josef_To%C5%A1ovsk%C3%BD