Interesting article | FerrariChat

Interesting article

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Super_Dave, Apr 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Disgusting

2. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    My brothers went/go to (one is graduating in May) UBC. They tell me that the amount of amazing sports cars being driven by teenagers on campus is beyond ridiculous.

3. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Will be interesting when (if ever) the government starts trying to determine how much of the funds flowing in are from illegal sources of income / corruption /etc.

The ownership of these cars and behavior is not something to envy imho since the cars are just trinkets, with no real value to them, but I do feel bad for the residents that compete for home purchases if many are sinking cash offshore as a way to protect (potentially) ill-gotten gains.

Explains the run-up in prices with no fundamental drivers... if they are throwing hundreds of thousands around for kids to have cars, imagine bidding against them for buying homes... yikes!

4. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    The RE market in Vancouver is also insane. I mean completely divorced from reality Tulip-mania level of insane. The collapse will be spectacular.

I have to wonder if the wealthy Chinese know something we don't about China's future and want to get as much money out of the country as possible into hard assets. Hard to think a 1200 sq ft shack for $3M or a new Lambo as a hard asset/investment but who knows.

5. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    #7 zudnic, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    Yes, it has become insane. It has been crazy since the late 80's. Even when I graduated high school in 1991, it wasn't unusual to meet foreign exchange students from China with crazy allowances. One thing that has changed, financing/leases are more available now. I knew a few Chinese kids with parents back in China. They got allowances ranging from $10k to up to $50k per month. If you had that with no expenses, you'd lease an exotic too. One thing that's changed from 20 years ago, we now have social media.

The downturn in China has made it a little more crazy. According to my SIL who was born and raised in China. Plus this is backed up by a bank manager friend in Canada. The Chinese don't trust banks. They treat real estate as a bank. Another they also use real estate to evade taxes here. No capital gains tax on primary residence here.

6. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Oh, I agree completely, that market is so disconnected from any semblance of reality that the fall will be hard and shocking.

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #9 paulchua, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    Super_Dave, should you not rejoice? Your financial position should position you quite nicely when the fall does happen (which I actually agree will happen sooner or later) - fortunes can be made shorting bubbles.

What perplexes me is why you would post this article? You yourself were bragging that you are in the top 1%, won the lottery, hangs out with billionaires, is an an expert in markets,and has two graduate degrees from Ivy league schools. Sounds like the very 'show off' behavior your are criticizing with this thread?

...yet when asked to substantiate any of these grandiose claims - always comes empty handed..

I'll tell you what's worse then these show offs you are calling out, its show offs that are poseurs on top of that!

Anybody want more entertainment from "Super_Dave?"

Just peruse his history here (just tip of the iceberg)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #10 paulchua, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Some folks have mentioned I have an uncanny memory.

It's so lovely the internet is forever.

Considering if you listened to "Super_Dave" you would have lost a LOT of money.

6 years later and he was as wrong as can be.

Just cashing in chips.