Caffeine and Carburetors - April 17th in Downtown New Canaan | FerrariChat

Caffeine and Carburetors - April 17th in Downtown New Canaan

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by izaacbrook, Apr 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. izaacbrook

izaacbrook Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Izaac Brook
    It's that time of year again!

Caffeine and Carburetors
    Sunday, April 17th on Pine and Elm in New Canaan, CT
    8AM - 11:30AM

A reminder that:
    Caffeine and Carburetors takes place on public streets in the Town of New Canaan. Because of that fact, all of us need to keep in mind that we need to be responsible neighbors.
    Caffeine and Carburetors is a street legal MUFFLED event.
    Participants are expected to respect speed limits, and drive cautiously. Burn outs, inappropriate noise or unsafe driving will not be tolerated. This is a family friendly event, not a race track or quarter mile drag strip.
    For six seasons there have been no issues, let's keep it that way. C & C's future health depends on your cooperation.

2. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Best show of the year, we will be there!

3. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Forecast currently is 70F and sunny. I'll be there but not in the fcar unfortunately.

4. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    How do logistics for the street event compare to the waveny park setup?

5. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I much prefer the street event. I've parked the Ferrari a couple of times on both Elm St and Pine St and its been great. Have to get there early though. For regular cars, there's more parking close by at the train station than the Waveny Park event and there seem to be a lot more classics turn up to the street event.

Every time I've been to the park I've brought the kids instead of the Ferrari and had to park at the school which is quite a walk.

6. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

Because of the name of this site I feel comfortable saying it. From my experience, if you arrive before 8, the parking directors tend to give the Ferrari's, super exotics and very expensive classics the best spots. Show in my opinion is getting too big for downtown (space constraints) and lots of run of the mill and supped Japanese cars are coming now. In fact, at the last park show there was too much junk mixed in, plus too many cars in general.

I wonder if that Bugatti Chiron will be on display?

7. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Agree the last park show was a mess. I'm hoping that normal service resumes on the street and the riff raff (including me this time) only park in the lots.

8. Super_Dave

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks for the info.

I think I was at the last Waveny one. Bit hairy driving on the grass given some of the pretty deep pits/holes that are impossible to see while driving...

I don't mind the mix of cars but it seems C&C behavior has eroded generally. I also don't quite get the minivans (not 1000hp sleepers...) being parked in the show area and not the spectator parking.

Some of the modified imports, muscle cars, and other more affordable cars that come out I think are nice to see, for variety and for showing that there is still some widespread interest in cars.

That said, the bad behavior at a lot of shows is pretty appalling and just gets harder to control as the numbers grow.

9. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I expect this Sunday will be better organized. For one, the marshals will only allow certain cars down Pine St which is closed at the Zumbach's end and marshaled at the other. The minivans will be turned away and have to find alternate parking :)

You are correct though that events like this unfortunately become victims of their own success.

10. jandi

jandi Rookie

May 2, 2009
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Barbara B.
    This will be my first time at C&C event. I am bringing the 458 -- is it easy to leave if you don't want to stay for the entire time? Is it recommended that you stay with your car? Or, are you able to walk around without worrying?

11. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    For your first question, you can leave any time but if you are parked on Elm or Pine, you'll have to drive slowly through the crowd but that is not a problem - people come and go quite regularly.

For the second, its your call. I walk around these things otherwise there is no point in me going. Most people are respectful I think especially when there are so many cars in town but you have to do what you are comfortable with. For sure it can get crowded on the two main streets.

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    FerrariChat PSA

I think what is appalling is coming on a car forum, telling everybody that you are rich and part of the 1%. That because you hang out with billionaires, that you are an expert in markets (especially car markets), and that you won the lottery.

...yet when asked to substantiate any of these grandiose claims - always comes empty handed..

Anybody want more entertainment from "Super_Dave?"

Just peruse his history here (just tip of the iceberg)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Super_Dave is a troll that came here a while back, and basically insulted a bunch of members here - he lays low and re-surfaces every once in a while hoping people forget or never saw his earlier shenanigans...

13. Super_Dave

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #13 Super_Dave, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    Paul, thank you for the kind words.

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You are most welcome!

15. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    On average, I've been able to attend 2 of these events every season for the past few years. Have brought one of the fun cars (F12, Speciale, 355).

First, GREAT credit to the organizers, as these events are a lot of work and a good time is had by all... if they sell more (coffee, cheese, wine, whatever) good by me, I'm sure this costs them a lot.

Second, even though I'm lucky enough to have a Ferrari or two, not to mention my exotic Fiat Abarth DD, I love the mix of cars. This is an enthusiast meet - the currency is passion, not MSRP. A few times we've arrived late, and I parked the Speciale between a (mint) IROC-Z and a (barely running) TR-6. I'm not sure which of us had the junk or was riffraff, but I had a great morning talking cars.

If I need a fix of high-brow I'll find an invite-only concours; I remember all too well being 16 (18, 25, 29...) and seeing cars I hoped I would own; I try and pay it back by just being a good car guy and sharing. (my daughters say I let more little kids sit in our cars than attended their pre-K...)

I also do agree, when we bring the family truckster, I'll park farther away, and I also agree that bad behavior one the part of one could screw this whole thing up for the several hundred plus that attend.

just my $0.02

16. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    This weeks going too slowly.... I'm really looking forward to Sunday

Is anyone convoying up? A friend and I are leaving early and taking a circuitous route over the bear mountain bridge and then across.

17. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    #17 MVDESQ, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    You can leave the car but beware that people may touch your car intentionally or accidentally. This show attracts the general public and people who really don't know cars but just want to get out of their house with their kids. It also attracts great car people who respect your car and won't touch it. For the most part it is no worry, but you never know. You can usually fiddle your way out if you only stay an hour or so. Just don't get boxed into a sidewalk spot. See you there.

18. MitchellC

MitchellC Rookie

Mar 31, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell
    I'll probably drive up from Jersey in the Miata. And park with the riff-rad, of course.

19. car doctor

car doctor Karting

Dec 28, 2013
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike W
    Leaving from Jamaica Queens, anyone here care to join?

20. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I got there 7:45 and the cars were already spilling over the train tracks.
    Lots of neat cars. First time I've seen an MC-12 in the wild.

21. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    just got back - its just too big
    victim of its own success

much prefer going back to 10 to 15 of us meeting on a sunday morning away from the chaos
    sorry I didn't see you clyde - I saw josh, greg, eric, chris, and stu

22. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

Really wasn't in the wild Miller dropped it off on a truck. ;-) It has been in its showroom since February. Nice to see nonetheless. Place was packed. Lots of neat cars. The Unimog and Ferrari 330GTS were my two favorites.

23. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Wow... It was huge today... cars everywhere. Got there at 8:30 because we went for a drive first and we had to park at the church. Some very cools cars but very crowded. The Unimog was very cool. Happy to see an LFA tucked away in one of the side lots too. Plus the two Maserati 300s were wonderful.

24. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    2 lfa's!

I agree with many, I like the mix! Things that make you 'hmmm'.

And it's a really good place to bump into people and touch base after winter.

Whats lacking is sufficient restroom facilities

25. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    This was a truly great event. Daytonas, 512BBs, Testarossas, 308s, Dinos, and many other Ferrari models were scattered all over the place. I saw a Lusso and a Superamerica. Porches from every era were everywhere you looked. I saw a 51 split window Beetle, a 58 oval window Beetle, and (I think) a 60 Beetle lined up together. Morgans, Alfas, Cudas, Hot Rods, Triumphs, BMWs, a Meyers Manx, and something called the Exemplar 1 Concept Car were all there.

Good coffee, great food, friendly people. It was a fun morning and I am looking forward to the next one of these!