F1 Teams Prize Money Revealed | Page 4 | FerrariChat

F1 Teams Prize Money Revealed

Discussion in 'F1' started by 375+, Apr 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    I think it would have a significant impact and its why they have never dared to leave.

Also to overlook the constructors and drivers championships in Grand Prix racing during the 50's and 60's having played an integral part in the company's reputation is very unfair.

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #77 william, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    If we are to believe John Surtees who left the Scuderia in 1966, Ferrari at the time still attached more importance to sport cars than to F1.

Surtees said that the reason was simply that Ferrari could sell sport cars, but not F1. So, not only good results in endurance allowed him to offload the previous year racers to rich gentlemen drivers in the US and elsewhere else, but success at Sebring, Spa, the Targa Florio created demand from private teams and importers to buy his latest sport cars.

Surtees went on to say that instead of concentrating in F1, Ferrari gave priority to endurance and sport cars, until at least after Le Mans, where he expected to shine.
    Surtees recalls that most of the testing was done on sport cars, to sort out cars that would be sold just after victory in North America, Belgium, etc... Surtees was used as a tester for sport car sales!

That became obvious in 1966, when the new V12 F1 was neglected when it had good potential, to the benefit of the Le Mans effort. Surtees, who thought he had a chance at the title, felt so disgusted that he walked away.

I think that cars like the Superamerica, the Testa Rossa and repeated success in sport cars at Sebring and other national races (Bahamas Speed Week) in the hands of John Edgar, Paravano, Neuman, Chinetti and Cunninghan's teams did more for Ferrari than any F1 race.

If I recall, the first US GP was held in ... 1959, and I am not even sure there was a Ferrari in it. But by then, Ferrari was already a household name in the US.

PS: Correction; there were 2 Ferraris in the 1959 US GP. Brooks finished 3rd.

3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005

4. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #79 freshmeat, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    F1 is big in Europe, moderately in the Middle East, and obscure to the rest of the world in comparison to other sports today. It's on the decline, bernie's said it, we all know it.

There's nothing wrong about the NFL system nor are they constantly changing regs / fundamental formula nor are they biased in their prize money. Not sure what that example/relation this has with the current state of affairs w F1.

Ferrari has been a large part of F1 history, nobody has contested that. I'm just saying it might not be in Ferrari's best interest to be stuck in the past / not explore other options if F1 is on the decline and no longer successful for its image.

Ferrari hasn't won in almost a decade...an empire w preferential treatment and compensation that can't win? That's a worse statement than being labeled "quitters" imho. Italian Motorsport can change, as long as there is victory. Suicides averted. What you said is like saying Brazil will be ok if they suck at soccer.

Ferrari once evolved from LeMans / endurance racing...why would evolution from F1 to something else be so bad?

5. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    ...because nobody watches that 'something else' and they would have to foot the bill for it themselves.

Also Brazil's soccer team are not as good as they used to be. Guess what? They are not quitting playing soccer because of that. They are busy trying to get better.

6. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    To appease the 'it's unfair' crowd...F1 commitment bonus: 1M bonus per consecutive year as a constructor.

Ferrari: 66M
    Mclaren: 50M
    Williams: 38M
    Sauber: 23M
    Mercedes: 6M
    Lotus: 4M
    Renault: 1M

etc.

7. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

Do not forget about Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino - F.I.A.T., racing since 1902 with the first FIAT 3½ HP and FIAT 24-32 HP Race Cars.

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

OK, but FIAT hasn't been in GPs for the last 90 years.

9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    It's only in the last couple of decades that Ferrari have been able to run pretty much free of charge on sponsors money - Before that FIAT spent a fair old bit of money to go racing with Ferrari throughout the 70's, 80's and into the 90's!

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Commitment bonus? Sounds like a clause from Bernie's pre-nup.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

+1

12. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    True, they are winning in lesser series IMHO.

13. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It's still the biggest motorsport in the world.

It's relevant and there are examples across many sports; not just the NFL.

That supposition is not reflected in any tangible impact to their revenue. They are going to increase production and believe the demand will be there. What is the evidence of the damage?

Happens all the time in many sports. You don't leave, you just try harder or something different.

Brazil does suck at soccer by their standards. I would guess they will get it back.

The Italians went 24 years between world cups.

Because F1 is still the top.

14. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Pure speculation.

Obviously joking a bit; but also not. Ferrari is definitely important to Italians on a level that is not necessarily obvious to outsiders.

That's elite company and you see the same thing now with Alonso leaving etc. The top drivers will always be in that position. That doesn't change the fact that driving for Ferrari in F1 is a goal for almost all drivers. Failing that, driving in F1 is typically the goal.

Give me an example of someone that passed up F1 to go drive in the WEC?

15. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I remember an F1 race years ago at Monza where both Ferrari's were out of the race before half distance, and the next thing you saw were the fans leaving en mass because Ferrari were out!

By the end of the race, only about a quarter of the crowd remained at the circuit (Martin Brundle noted that it was the only time he'd ever managed to get out of Monza without any delay on race day!).

What other team would generate that sort of response in their home Grand Prix? - McLaren?, Williams?, do Me a favour!

Other Teams are supported by their fans, Ferrari is the only team that is worshipped by it's fans!