48611 400i with twin turbochargers for sale | Page 5 | FerrariChat

48611 400i with twin turbochargers for sale

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by DaveO_48, Dec 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    As discussed many times here, the autos and 5-speeds had the buttons and levers on different sides of the shifter.

2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Brian are you sure? Maybe the Fiat shifter comes from a GM :D

3. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Just got home from work at the range, BJ web site sez lot # 353 400i sold for $38,500.....plus fees of course.

Gary

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  5. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Not a lot of money for all the work that's gone into it really.

6. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham

That was on live over here aswell...couldn't believe the BBi and TR. Maybe a shift in overall values?

7. palmer_md

palmer_md Karting

Feb 26, 2014
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    This car has been on eBay for over a year and has reached this number or higher several times without meeting the reserve. Seems like they should have sold it on eBay long ago and would have been much better off. I do hope we get to see this car again. It is a very nice modified 400.

8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    #109 Ak Jim, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    Plz post pictures when complete.

How would you stabilize the rear differential? I guess I could see adding a crossmember at the back of the transmission to stabilize the engine and transmission but I don't see how that would work at the back.

9. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    That's right around what I sold it for, and about what I had into the car when I got rid of it. I have bills for over $50K from the PO and I put about $8K into it.

These modified cars appeal to a different crop of (impulsive) buyers who know that the amount of money spent is irrelevant as there is no market, so the value will always be cents on the dollar invested since they are not originals. I had a Norwood 308 - 288 GTO conversion very nicely done, easily $350k invested (by PO and probably $40K of work by me) - sold for $90k (on Ebay), the Mel Spillman 288 GTO conversion (track focused) was offered to me for $65K despite having over $450k of total bills...one man's dream is necessarily worth a lot to another buyer.

10. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Bids that don't meet reserve don't mean anything IMHO as they are often shill bidding. Even a high winning bid doesn't convert into a transaction the majority of the time.

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Will do

12. JMFC

JMFC Rookie

Dec 19, 2015
  13. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Has anyone on this forum driven this car? I am curious as to how all these modifications have impacted the driving experience.

14. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    All vehicles offered at B-J are sold without reserve unless both B-J and the seller agree that the car will fetch at least $150K, at which point then the seller has the option to offer the automobile without reserve. There's no doubt that this twin turbo 400 was offered without reserve which means that the very same seller bought his own car back!?! Wow - I wonder how much he really thinks he can get on a car that's been for sale for over a year and requires plenty of attention?

When I met him last year at his showroom, he boasted of selling more TR's than anyone else in Florida and I personally saw no less than 6-7 there that day. So, what could all of us be missing that he apparently (thinks he) knows?

15. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Only someone crazy would buy this car!

16. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ..LOL, read the thread!

17. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Jagbuff,

Post 117 is even funnier in the context of posts 25 and 27 :) .

Thanks for recommending re-reading the thread, even though it wasn't for this purpose.

Regard,

Art S.

PS. So you never got it worked out and we don't know it the subsequent work helped or hurt. It sounds like Paul N. should buy it. His wife likes them and he's got the tenacity to sort it.

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Funny you say that, I tried to buy it when it was on ebay a few times ago but they wanted $89K USD for it so I passed. I even bid on it hoping the reserve would be lifted and a more reasonable price was set, oh well.

19. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    How does the self esteem quote go? If at first you don't succeed; try, try again... :D

Regards,

Art S.

20. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Say a little prayer that you did not but the car. I first saw it maybe five years ago. A/c was awful. Plus a long list of other things that were wrong. The seller at that time was in Austin. I spoke with him on the phone about buying the car. Met him and the more he talked the worst the car got. The best for this mess would be to remove the turbos. Put them in the trunk and sell the car as, '400ai with turbos'

21. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    I saw it last month outside a mechanic's shop, which promptly caused me to pull over and check it out again (3rd time seen it in person). It was getting ready for some additional work (been in the market for sale now going on what, 2 years - or it seems that way, if not longer)! It was nowhere near the seller's place and the mechanic was flustered in having to repair what was ailing at the time. Cannot recall the details, but the wrench was not in the least bit impressed with the car nor the required repairs.

Alas, time also has not been kind to the vehicle's cosmetics. Cannot wish a new buyer enough luck to eventually enjoy the car!

22. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    This is now headed for auction (without reserve, supposedly - Barrett Jackson WPB?) at Hilton Head, SC this weekend:

1984 Ferrari 400i "Twin Turbo" - Hilton Head

This has to be the loneliest 400i I can recall as its been on eBay for over a year + continuously... Guess the owner of the dealership finally threw in the towel, again.

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    They wanted $89K (USD) for it last time I called them. I bid on it every time its on ebay but my $35K isn't cutting it lol. I would pay more but knowing they want the moon I just don't bother.