F12 owners who have also owned an Aventador? | FerrariChat

F12 owners who have also owned an Aventador?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by 09Scuderia, Mar 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Hi guys,

I am selling a few of my older collector cars (328 GTS and 89 Speedster) over the next few months and plan to replace with an F12 or Aventador.

Any of you owned/ own both the F12 and Aventador?

Once the other cars are sold in Monterey this year we still have a 458 Spider, 2016 Viper ACR (drive one and you will understand) and a Alfa 4c Spider. What ever V12 monster we buy it will be driven a few times per month to blast around Texas Hill Country..

I love the way the Aventador looks, sounds etc. Don't love the driving dynamics. Compared to the 458 the Aventador feels like a truck. Maybe for my intended use to won't matter?

Love the driving experience of the F12, but don't love the way it looks. I have tried to fall for the F12s design to no avail. Everything else about the F12 is insane. Other worldly. Future classic? Maybe.

Both are holding their values surprisingly well. Who knows if that will last.

Opinions from those of you who have owned both would be appreciated.

2. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #2 rockitman, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    (speaking looks only)The F12 is a classic design with cue's taken from the 1968 275GTB 4....especially the rear tail lights/spoiler (I think it is gorgeous). The Aventador looks like... well a Lambo. Pretty much the same basic wedge shape they have been doing forever. Buy the one that moves you. I would take the F12 all day long over the Aventador.

3. LV Eric

LV Eric Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2006
    LA & LV
    Full Name:
    eric
    I had a aventador, plastic POS. gone, very sad they went that way.

4. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Lambo looks are gaudy and ridiculous, interior is junk. F12 can be spec'd to look very angular and cool with some imagination. You're just not a F12 guy if you think the clamoring for attention Lambo is the shizzle.

Maybe the TDF or the new F12 updates coming soon would be better looking?

5. berkeley

berkeley Rookie

Jan 7, 2015
    I don't own either car, but I myself can't fathom spending this much money on a car that I don't like the looks of. The visual sensory experience if a big part of the ownership experience given how little it will be driven.

Leja likes this.
  6. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Very interesting subject. I am also curious about the two cars as well. This week, I noticed that the prices have come down to the 300k range. So from my standpoint I started thinking used f12 for 299k or used aventador for about 300k. I like the looks of both and I do prefer the sound of the f12 better. I just haven't driven any yet. I'm afraid if I do so, thecdesire will be lit and I will be taking the plunge on either one. Haha. The car will be a likely replacement for my 458 if i decide on going that direction but I will keep the f430 spider. I am more concerned at which car would give me a different overall experience vs a mid engine v8.

7. Ced357

Ced357 Karting

Jul 19, 2015
    Parkland FL
    I've spent some serious time behind the wheel of an Aventador and was utterly unimpressed. The interior was full of plastic bits that felt so cheap I would assume they could not handle average wear and tear. Shocking, considering the price of admission. Secondly, the transmission was nauseating at low speeds (jerky) and violent at high speeds. I am in the camp that is intoxicated by the aesthetics, but could not bare the driving experience. What about cross shopping a 675LT? Totally different car, but similar price point and cache.

8. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    One cannot find an Lt here at 300-320 plus I'm still enamored by the na motors. Thanks for the feedback

9. Liquid Assets

Liquid Assets Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2009
    Cloud 9
    Own both and when both are sitting in the garage, I take the F12 9 times out of 10. End of the day the lambos horrible visibility and single disc clutch come up short to the F12s power and DCT. F12 is also way more usable.

10. LV Eric

LV Eric Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2006
    LA & LV
    Full Name:
    eric
    I've owned a pile of lambos, still have 4, I'm a lambo guy 100%. Had 7 at the same time once, probably owned18-20 of them over the past 17 years. Drove 60-70 of them.

Diablo was the last real lambo. Murci was a hybrid car, Austrian designer made in Italy, was a ok car to drive. Gallardo fair, the late models were much better.

The aventador had a fantastic paint job, under that was a $566k piece of plastic with cheap Yugo stamped pot metal hinges. I paid cash for it, it sat in my garage for 21 months I drove it almost 200 miles. I drive my Diablo more. All the aventador did was piss me off.

So I bought a f12, kinda boring compared to a lambo but it ain't plastic. I hope Ferrari doesn't whore them selfs out like lambo has. It's very depressing knowing that as of now and foreseeable future the last lambo rolled out of the factory.

This ain't my last post, I have more to complain about on this topic, please ask me questions.

11. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    It would be interesting to compare it to an aventador sv. A fully optioned 2016 f12 is still cheaper but then again you could argue that the 599 gto or f12 tdf is a better comparison to the sv.

12. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    There's no denying the marketing guys at Lambo know their market. The Aventador is a brilliant design, the car's single purpose IMO is to solicit a wide-eyed, open mouth, WTF response from anyone in close proximity.

On a run-out with some friends I found myself in a tunnel in England with two 599 GTOs and one Aventador. The three were side by side, the Lambo was in the middle. I was driving my GTO. All three cars were giving it some.

My window was down and I was perhaps no more than 6 feet from the Lambo's massive exhaust. The sound from all three cars was magical and monstrous. What made me laugh like a half-crazed lunatic was the huge plume of blue flame thrown out by the Lambo on each shift. Hilarious.

I wouldn't swap a wheel nut on my GTO for an entire Aventador but for drama and visual fun the Lambo is epic. I've not driven one and have no desire to. The standard F12 is visually anonymous by comparison and that's perfectly fine, the two cars are chalk and cheese; I'd have the F12 without hesitation.

But one shouldn't be too snobbish about the Lambo. It perfectly serves an entirely different need.

dustman likes this.
  13. LV Eric

LV Eric Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2006
    LA & LV
    Full Name:
    eric

I love flames,

14. DaveMc

DaveMc Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Palm Coast, Florida
    #14 DaveMc, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    +1.

I looked at a Aventador a few weeks ago. Didn't like it. Same reasons as you guys state. Jerky trans and poor visibility. Not to mention the difficulty of getting in and out of the car. I think a more apt comparison (for me) would be a new Huracan versus a used F12. Both have the DCT tranny, which is important these days for stop & go driving.

15. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    One thing for sure...there are an absolute TON of Aventadors and f12s for sale...on Dupont
    alone there are 100+ Aventadors and 50+ f12s.

Late summer early fall may be a great time to buy...

16. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    why put it off ? The prices haven't changed much from last fall. The best time to buy is now. ;)

17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Great story.

18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I think because the OP doesn't like the looks on one nor how the other drives and cost seems to be an issue. To each their own. The good ones always seem to go first in the used market.

19. golden1911

golden1911 Karting

Apr 28, 2014
    Toronto
    ive owned an Aventador and an FF.. I test drove the F12. No comparison, f12 is way better.

i bought the aventador to grab attention, once that wore off, i sold it. it drives terribly. It's hard to see out of. The single clutch transmission is terrible.

Id rather take the FF out.

buy the Aventador to show off. that's pretty much the only reason to get one.

uhn2000 likes this.
  20. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    great feedback...thanks Golden1911

21. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
  22. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    Every time I watch that video I get a good couple minute laugh. People with more money than brains. Who said life is fair!

23. LV Eric

LV Eric Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2006
    LA & LV
    Full Name:
    eric
    you guy's who can't see out of a Lambo have one common problem, drive it more and you'll be fine. i'm not a good driver but seriously aventador's are not difficult to drive, try a Countach then i'll listen.

also why should all cars be smooth and soft???, meaning double clutch tranny???? i have smooth cars, rough cars. varity is the spice of life.

f12 is soft action and nice sometimes, why make a lambo into a ferrari or vice versa??? buy both and stop complaining

live big

later

i aint done

24. berkeley

berkeley Rookie

Jan 7, 2015
    Well said Eric. Different strokes for different folks. It is one thing to be curious of why or how others arrive at their choices. Forcing one's choice upon another is something else (Yes, I was often guilty of this during my younger years).

25. Mn-0127

Mn-0127 Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2013
    had the huracan when it first came out. id take f12 over it any day