Famous Owners of Mondials Thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Famous Owners of Mondials Thread

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by paulchua, May 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GDRIII

GDRIII Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    George Roberts
    Hank, I'm glad to see that you agree on the Valeo issue. That was the my only point. In making it
    I was challenging rumors like "It was also the FNA Press car to introduce the Valeo clutch to America."

The amount of misinformation and lack of understanding of the Valeo's continues to boggle my mind and sometimes that gets to me. Like you I'm very passionate about my Valeo. I think you have owned your car for 10 years and I have owned mine for 17. Thats 27 years of ownership experience with these fantastic Ferraris. Maybe we are getting a little to attached to them.:):)

2. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I was a consultant to FNA in the 90's. I spent many hours in Englewood Cliffs, NJ both upstairs and downstairs. The in-house mechanic told me he rebuilt the "transmission/clutch" three times on the Valeo Press car. Writers would like to rev the car to redline and then engage first gear. The car sat in the basement garage in the corner rather dusty for some time during my tenure. I was offered the car to purchase for $50K after it came back from repaint/refurb at Classic Coach in Elizabeth, NJ. CC did all of FNA's paintwork on any new cars arriving from Italy that needed touchup. At the recommendation of the FNA mechanic I passed on the car. I was also looking for a non-red car and ended up with a blu sera "t" cabriolet for $40K. Its possible there were two red cabs residing at or passing thru FNA at the time but my recollection was that the press car and the movie car were the same vehicle and that it ended up at the new Ferrari of Beverly Hills store that had recently opened. This was all 20 years ago so I defer to photo/movie evidence to the contrary. Its also possible that this was some sort of early prototype different from eventual production models.

3. GDRIII

GDRIII Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    George Roberts
    I don't doubt what you are saying at all. I was just challenging some of what you were
    told by others.

BTW I think it was great to see that Ferrari put a Mondial t on display in the Maranello Museum.

4. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    BTW I think it was great to see that Ferrari put a Mondial t on display in the Maranello Museum.[/QUOTE]

I think this is the best point made - I dont see a 308 on the floor

Looks like some credit has been shown towards the Mondial!

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #30 paulchua, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
    agreed!!!

Here all on one place:

http://mondialt.com/notable-owners/

6. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    #31 RichardAguinsky, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
    I bought mine from Tom Frazier. He did the special effects for Spiderman, Pirates of the Caribbean, and others. Great guy, very nice personality. He helped me put the car on the trailer.

Tommy Frazier - IMDb

I do not think that was David Carradine's Ferrari. When I did the PPO at Ferrari of Beverly Hills, David's Mondial was there. It was black, it was a T, but I thought the interior was red, like mine. I was hoping he would come by to get it so I could meet him. But I had to leave, tow the car home.

Richard

7. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    #32 123howie, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just got my 1992 Mondial T, the original owner was Wayne Gretzky's wife Janet. Yes I have the paper work on it from Santa Monica CA.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Ligu

Ligu Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2009
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Michele
    The car at the Museo Ferrari was an '89 Italian model owned by the father of a friend of mine. Nothing to do with the movie.

9. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Surfing the net for Mondial trivia (does anyone else do this, or am I ill?), came across this.

Half way down: "a black on black 1989 Ferrari Mondial T Cabriolet, originally owned by Michael Douglas’ first wife, Diandra Douglas, and boasting just over 19,400 miles (Est. $30,000-$50,000)"

Hollywood cars going up for bid at Auctions America's California Sale

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua

Hi Richard,

I live just next door to you in Menlo Park, ever do Menlo Park Cars and Coffee?

11. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    #36 WilyB, Aug 18, 2014
    My first Mondial, a black 1986 3.2 previous owner was Didier Calmels, the LARROUSSE-CLAMELS F1 team owner.

His other claim to fame, if I may say so, is to have killed his wife Dominique in 1989.

12. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    #37 bigeasy, Aug 18, 2014
    I know it isn't a Mondial but close. Barbie's car was found in original condition going through my Mom's attic. Might need new belts and service before attempting to start.

13. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Wow, lucky her, I wonder what Ken is driving these days?

14. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    For any Mondial owner who does his own maintenance/repair, the biggest celebrity owner has to be ... BIRDMAN!

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Larry Manetti owned a black Mondial. Not sure which model although I want to say it was not a convertible. Beyond that, you would have to look at the picture for the model year cues.

There is a picture of it in his book about his Magnum PI days.

16. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    #41 Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Aug 19, 2014
  17. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Mine was first purchased by a player in the S&L scandals of the 80's. He is still alive and I got a message from him when I reached out. Just another wealthy guy who ended up selling :D

He had fond memories of the car. He liked that it was understated.

18. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    mine is a euro version purchased by the ceo of shoe world and went to Canada.I quess he really isn't famous anymore because the company went belly up.probably because of his Ferrari company car.

19. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    You worked on that movie Hank? If so how cool. I was (still am really) a massive King fan, up until discovering Ferraris (no time now) I read most of the books he wrote. In fact apart from the last four or so.
    That film brings back fond memories for me. I remember well after reading the book and then the film came out. I was a engineering apprentice back in the early 80's and had been on the shop floor. Company I worked at made large steam turbines and I happened to slip on a little oil off the safety walkways (technically I should not have been there), anyway a week off work ensued and I watched the film with a bad back.

I remember my then, Opel Manta seat was the only place I felt comfortable. Christine.. and I was Dennis Guilder sat in my Silver Manta :D.

Still one of my all time favourites.

20. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    I contacted Larry M. to find out some background to his Mondial, I have a Nero Cab. that was originally sold from Ferrari of Beverly Hills around the same time, thought there maybe a connection. Larry informed me he didn't purchase the car, as it was a gift from Ferrari.

21. jongottschalk

jongottschalk Karting

Oct 5, 2009
    Pass Christian, MS
    Full Name:
    Jon Gottschalk
    #46 jongottschalk, Nov 21, 2014
    I am pondering selling the Nicole Simpson Ferrari soon. I find that it was not only owned by someone famous but that the car itself is more famous (or infamous) than the owner. This car was a piece of the most infamous crime and trial of all time. Many speculate the car was actually the intended victim that night as it had been months before. Macabre I guess.....anyway, I love driving it but just may be time to let it go.

22. Sherv

Sherv Rookie

Mar 22, 2016
    Do you have any pictures? What do you know about the car's history? I'd love to see it!

Michael J. Fox's Mondial can be seen here (at 1:21): https://youtu.be/8ug8G1QUwSg?t=1m21s

It reportedly cost around $70,000 brand new and he absolutely loved to tool around in it. Here are two mentions of it from articles back in the day:

Michael J. Fox Unwinds | Rolling Stone
    Little Big Man : People.com
    Show us your Mondial!

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Fantastic Sherv, thank you so much!!!

24. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Awesome first post! Thanks Sherv.

And welcome to FerrariChat.

25. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    #50 zudnic, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    Tom Selleck also had a mondial in around 87 saw him and his new wife at the time driving around Lake Tahoe in it.

I also know Michael Fox had a 308 before the mondial. Back in the 60's, the Fox's lived next door to my grand parents. My mom was like 12 or something. My Mom was friends with his sister, she was the same age as my Mom. Michael was one or two. His sister ended up living in the same town as us years later, 9k people. She worked as a hygienist at my dentists office. My Mom and her reconnected. Michael Fox would drive up and visit his sister whenever he had time off. Saw him a few times. His sister Karen died a few years ago.