512 TR values - Another leg up | Page 10 | FerrariChat

512 TR values - Another leg up

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ASK328, May 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    +1 What were they built for anyway?

2. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #227 msdesignltd, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    I am Kinda noticing a pattern here...
    Not really enough to make a conclusion..

Click on member profiles of the Hatfields...
    Then click on profiles of the McCoys..

I notice the adament Hatfields saying that you should drive ...are possessing just one car...not necessarily vintage..

The McCoys though have more than one and they are usually mixed or vintage..
    Most likely dont have as much time to drive 2 cars or more..

Really Stupid discussion to begin with...but this is a pattern.
    We really should start a new thread listing all your F cars and stating the mileage you drive each.

Of course they are meant to be driven...but if you dont drive...What?
    If you own 5 vintage cars...how much could you possibly drive each.

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    this thread already was started a while back. i remember answering it.
    i think i refute your pattern assessment.

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    or what if you have 25? 50 cars?

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Then you are either a hoarder(which passes in the USa as a "collector"), or own a meuseum. Or Like Jay Leno you are dedicated to driving them all, ie a true enthusiast collector.

I also think if you have a lot of cars and are limited to just ferraris, then you dont really get it and are self limiting. Like a so called art collector who just buys picassos, because well they dont really get art, but they do get the name thing. Or you are like the Schlumpfs an obsesive museum curator.

Like fine wine and great food, its good to appreciate variety.

But yeah if its low mileage its good for value.

I will say if you have 10 cars and do 500-1000 miles in each per year, you are doing a fair mileage in exotics, so thats all good.

Lots of different motivations here. Some of us are all bout the experince of driving, plus the sound and shape.

6. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    +1 to that! It really IS all about the experience of driving, plus the sounds and shapes. If I only had more space, I would have more cars.

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I'm a hoarder who doesn't get it. oh well.

8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Maybe we oughta devise some kind of a certificate, attesting that a Ferrari owner is deemed worthy of being a Ferrari owner, according to, uh, other Ferrari owners. If you don't qualify for the certificate, your Ferraris are swapped for SsangYongs.

We could call it the Certificate of Worthiness.

9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Sean, let's put some of this in perspective.

1) For many of us, "hoarding" sports cars (as you call if) was s childhood dream. As I said before, I'm not much of a seller but since I own multiple sports cars, I guess that makes me a hoarder. As my gf loves to tell me, admitting it is the first step. :)

2) if you have multiple sports cars, it's really important to have cars that complement each other so that you can have the maximum enjoyment in driving. Where I live, it's important to have the right tool for each job: rallies, Sunday spirited drives, longer road trips, etc. I have owned all kinds of sports cars but the cars that suit me the best that I have kept (hoarded) are Ferraris. They fit my needs and provide me with the best equipment for every job that suits me and my style. It has nothing to do with the name.

If you don't do that have all kinds of cars that don't go together with any rhyme or reason, you have what I like to call "guacamole." When someone's guacamole gets to big, they have to sell off all the cars that don't fit. Sometimes, people call these people "flippers," although they're not.

So at the end of the day, I guess youre either labeled a hoarder or a flipper and if you have Ferraris, you're a slave to the name. So much for being experienced and educated enough to have owned or driven most of the great cars of our hobby and being disciplined enough to settle on the handful that really float your boat.

10. AOE

AOE Rookie

Oct 11, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
  11. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    You see..........this is what the thread is about. I'm not sure what the TR will sell for, it appears to be pristine.....if I had to put out and educated guess with lots of room for error, hmm......north of 300 but less than 370 imho. Of course who knows it's early in the new year I could be way off. The 400 + seems to be the new norm for asking but does not seem that they are selling at that.

512tr, Another Leg Up...........

Not hoarding or justifying to others what you own or how many. Who cares, I have six cars, who cares..........

The thread is about 512tr's . Any chance you all can just "get along" lol, and get back to 512TR's ?

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think you will see my post was in answer to a question of what if you have 25-50 cars, which get driven mi Amy. so let's contextualise my post above. But seems many here want to play at being msn.

I think you have had a number of different cars and masques and have settled on what works for you based on the driving you do. As your post implies. Unless of course you are saying you attach personal status to the act of owning and try limit use to Maintain investment value. But I don't remember you ever posting such?

That's very different to just buying Ferraris because of brand or status and acumati g them to show off at a c&c.

But some here just want to make sides over a bs discussion by polarizing probably because they are poseurs I. A red with tan Easter Ferrari from wh u they derive feelings of self worth.
    These cars are supposed to be kickass fun to drive, for those who don't they are imp missing the win point, even if these days paddles make them the majority of owners

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I believe what many are saying is if one had no particular reason (say injury) not to drive your Ferrari, one has the mandate to do so.

One need not a 'reason' other than because they choose not to. That's it. (Full Stop/Period)

What others do (or not do) with their cars does not stop anybody here in any way driving the hell out of their own cars. By all means go for it! (I know I do!)

I couldn't care less if ttforcefed only buys lambos, has 1,000 of them and for kicks takes a crap on the hood on each one. It's not my money, it's not my cars, it's not my business.

Let me put it another way, what if I were to start saying I don’t understand why *you* drive your car so much? Why aren't you driving your Ferrari in moderation? You're putting on waaaay... to many miles man!

Don't you know you're causing wear/tear, depreciation, increased risk of accidents, paying the cost of fuel, hurting the environment, yadda, yadda?

I would expect you to say to me: STFU, it’s *my* car and *I* paid for it, and I can do whatever the hell I want with it.

…and you would be right.

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #240 boxerman, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    And your point is?

To the extent someone feels slighted by being criticsed for not using their car, and or using it as intended/designed, then I wouuld say the reason is self evident.

Do with them whatever you wish. I like the idea of low mileage, means I get to buy a car I always wnated with good bones, and all I have to do is rebuild the mechanicals to make it run right, the body and metal are all good.

Anyway its funny to see all those daytonas with low mileage, you know they have been closked right, most were driven bvack in the day and with very rare exceptions they have all been restored. But hey is someone wnats a restored car with low numbers on the odo, well that can be done in the retsoration easily.

If someone buys a new ferrari but does not drive it for fear of depreciation, or drives it to the coffe shop to showoff, thats their buisness, but yes I am question why they have a fast car. Of course we must make allowances for traffic laws these days limiting use, and yes multiple cars mean you do less mileage in each one, as I do to.

But these days most exotic owners are like most harley owners, ie not really bikers but living within some false image conveyed by the machine. These things were untill recently designed and built for a purpose, and it was not collecting, driving to C&C or posing. I will agree thats what modern ferraris seem to be built and designed for, and its true collectors save and restore a lot of old cars that would otherwise become scrap.

Its like the paddle vs stick debate, or drivers cars(which may still have paddles) Vs expensive Gt cars debate. Two schools with different motivations. One likes to do, thje other pretends, hopefully both enjoy..

As to the topic at hand, imo with the TR it all came together, the car finally had sledgehammer engine and the game moved on performance wise into a new realm, thats why a TR is worth so much more than a testarossa. Now some will say maybe less made than a testarossa, thats why its worth more $$$. So there are different measures of value. One thing seems aparent, most serial production car prices are off their peaks.

Anybody know of a dead Testarossa with great body, I have a new in box from the factory 512m motor to put in it, to me its ultimate combo style and motor, thats where I place value, even though it would then be a bitsa and less $$$ value.

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You yourself reiterated my point:

I couldn't agree with you more.

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    were there any 512trs at the auctions? details?

17. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    RM sold a 1993 rosso / creama with 11k miles for $225 + commission.

Barrett Jackson has a '92 in Giallo with 900 miles selling on Saturday (lot 1396).

Then there was the F512M at RM in Giallo with 23k miles that pulled $330 + commission.

I think that's it for the weekend...

18. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Two stunning cars on Ebay, 94tr and 95M both absolutely gorgeous !!!!!!! First 94 I personally have ever see on the market in 5+ years.

19. spdrcr

spdrcr Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I believe the seller of the 94 512 TR is a member here by the name of "msdesignltd".

20. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
  21. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

ZFFLA40S000097656 sold for 160K at Bonhams Goodwood acution. 19K kilos. Not bad and it was serviced in feb 2016.

22. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    What is special about a 94?

23. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Only ABS and maybe the oem upgraded diff ...

24. mytoys

mytoys Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    mytoys
    #250 mytoys, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017