Bright dash lights | FerrariChat

Bright dash lights

Discussion in '308/328' started by stonker, Mar 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stonker

stonker Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Stonker
    So I took my car for a nightime drive and noticed the dash lights seemed very bright. Much brighter than usual more like a new car and the elec windows went up and down much quicker. I drove quite a few miles without stopping and enjoyed the bright dash lights but unfortunately at the first traffic lights I had to stop at the dash lights returned to their usual semi bright brightness and stayed that way for the rest of the drive :(
    Anybody else had this? It's nothing to do with the dimmer on the dash as that wouldn't affect the elec windows.
    I'm thinking of cleaning the contacts on the fuses and relays to see if I can make the full brightness a permanent thing. I've tested my battery and that's fine. I know a lot of you have dim dash lights and seen on other threads.

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Exactly the same thing happen to me on my Lancia Scorpion, it was actually cool to see bright dash lights and fast power windows, it turns out that my voltage regulator was bad and it's very possible that you voltage regular is bad too.

3. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Yep sounds like the voltage regulator in the alternator. Check the voltage but if it is intermittent you may not see more then 14.2 V until it acts up. Better watch it as these old electrical systems don't like more then 15V for a long time.

4. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    Unfortunately you will never get them as bright as what you experienced with the high output fault on the voltage regulator, no matter how clean you make any of the contacts mentioned, you can change to new brighter bulbs even LED type but it will not be as bright as what you experienced.

regards
    Johnny

5. stonker

stonker Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Stonker
    Cool thanks for the help. Is the voltage regulator built into the alternator on an 84 QV? So I'll need to replace the alternator to fix the problem?

6. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    yes and no, the voltage regulator is in the alternator, they can just replace the voltage regulator or rebuild the electronics on it, it should have brushes on it too, not 100% sure on the QV's.

hope it helps.

7. 308ROB

308ROB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #7 308ROB, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes,
    remove the alternator and replace the regulator see arrow
    then go to a electric shop and let them check the alternator.

btw, dont drive to long with this alternator or he wil blow op your battery (dont ask me )

regards,
    Rob,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    oh cool, I wasn't 100% sure but I had a hunch its a little unit that screws out of the alternator, just like my old VW's !

cool pic Rob, I wanted to see this for myself.

regards
    Johnny

9. 455Fosbery

455Fosbery Karting

Oct 3, 2013
    Rob (and others),

I cannot help but chuckle at this... It is important that we all have the ability to laugh at ourselves every now and again! I have had a lot of "don't ask me" events throughout my engineering career and truly "experience" is that thing you often get a millisecond after you need it!

This is why I find this forum so extremely helpful, so many thanks to every contributor.

Back to the topic, I totally agree that this is a Voltage regulator thing and all the more need for something to indicate Voltage (a gauge or other). Had I not just rebuilt my clock, I would have used the slot for such a gauge/meter.

Best,

John.

10. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #10 Milkshaker0007, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I also had poor electrical problems on my 328, changed my regulator two weeks ago
    With one off eBay for less than £5
    It's working a treat now :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. stonker

stonker Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Stonker
    Haha cool. I saw those on Ebay and wondered if they might work. So cheap can carry a few spare ones.