Ethanol Free Gas In Canada (and USA) | FerrariChat

Ethanol Free Gas In Canada (and USA)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by cf355, Jan 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
  2. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Its good to know. I'm also into boats, ethanol is a bigger problem for them. More open fuel systems and on the water. Known about that site since it came out. BC is easy all Chevrons with 94 are ethanol free.

3. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    in Canada.. to my understanding.. the only Ethanol free fuel is Shell 91 v-power..

when I first bought my 355 back in Sept 2014, initial I thought Petro Canada's 94 octane would be the best fuel to use as its the highest octane available in Canada .. but it still contains ~10% Ethanol..

after past discussions here on the topic .. I then switched to 91 v-power only, even though its a lower octane..

4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Esso premium is free of ethanol

5. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    I also understood that only Shell's super gas was ethanol free......and this is what I use.

6. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    I asked the local esso if any of their fuels (super or 94) were ethanol free and was told no.....

7. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Local is where?

In Alberta, Shell and Esso 91 octane are ethanol free. Surprisingly, in Alberta Husky 91 is also ethanol free. Husky 94 does contain ethanol.

8. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    sorry....good point....ontario

9. Glen_Lloyd

Glen_Lloyd Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen
    not surprising about Husky, fuel comes from Esso refinery. Soon there will be no Husky, going to be rebranded to Esso.

10. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Check the link again.

It says "Esso all Canada premium"

11. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    next time I fill up at esso I'll check whats currently written on the pump.

12. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    My 63AMG got 2 fuel pumps replaced in 2 years from new. I always went on 94 Chevron. Now I've been using Shell 91 for only 6 months, the power drops a bit.
    But my 458 has been using 94 Chevron for 3 years, no problem at all.

13. bigcheech

bigcheech Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Look over your shoulder...
    Full Name:
    the big one
    I like using the ethanol free stuff in my cars, it seems to get better mileage. Could be wrong though?

14. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    I'm no expert, but I think ethanol has less BTU than Gasoline, so it would seem to reason that the mileage is less when it has ethanol in it.

15. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Shell V Power is the only non ethanol fuel available at normal (non-marina) gas stations in the Toronto area. You get about 2% better fuel economy with non-ethanol gasoline, as ethanol does not have the energy density of gasoline.

Actually, based on the additives that resist knock in premium fuel that work against the burn efficiency of the fuel, you actually get the best performance and fuel economy off of regular, if your car is rated to run on that. You do not want to put money into premium fuel if you don't need to, its not "better" fuel, just formulated for different purposes and engine designs.

I would use no alcohol fuel on a car you want to keep for a long time or an older restored vehicle where not all rubber parts of the fuel hose and injection system are likely
    compounded to resist the degradation of alcohol on rubber, and which may sit in storage for part of the year (like my older Ferrari). Perhaps run a tank with the alcohol at the beginning of a driving season to get any moisture out of the fuel and tank, in the old non alcohol blend days that's why you put "gas line antifreeze" in the tank for winter, its was just ethanol that mixes with water and in turn allows water to be put in suspension in the gas and atomized and "burned" in the combustion process.

16. bigcheech

bigcheech Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Full Name:
    the big one
    Ethanol or not, I bought gas yesterday in Brampton for 79.2 cents per litre!

17. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Regular in Calgary today is at 69.4/litre

18. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    your kidding....wow

19. ffeverd

ffeverd F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    104.9 in Vancouver lol

20. prototypefan

prototypefan Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    ab, canada
    60.9 for regular in YYC
    66.9 for diesel

21. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Edmonton this week - 59.4 per litre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. bigcheech

bigcheech Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Full Name:
    the big one
    Gas was less than a $1 per gallon in Texas this week! Insane!

23. isaydingdong

isaydingdong Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    Just had to have my back up power generator in for service and the guy told me my fuel went bad due to the ethanol and the gas tank had corrosion and will need replacing. I should have used non ethanol fuel!

24. mwarrior

mwarrior Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2004
    Ontario and Texas
    Full Name:
    Gagan P
    Ethanol fuel is killer on generators (that aren't made for it), as well as older vehicles and most vehicles tuned for certain octanes (ie. 93 octane fuel).

That said, Canadian gas:
    Esso and Shell both have Ethanol Free premium (91) octane.
    89 at those stations (and the Petro exception below) is 5% ethanol as the pumps blend 50% 87 + 50% 91.

Petro is Ethanol free 91 IF the site does not have 94. If the site has 94, then every grade from 87 to 94 has 10% ethanol.

Another exception is some Esso sites such as those in the Toronto area that now have 93 octane. Esso 93 is also ethanol based, and thus so is the 91 at those sites.

Most US 87-93 is ethanol based as well.

Need 93 or 94 ethanol FREE? Purchase "race additive" or an octane booster that boosts octane NUMBERS not points. The one I use/sell actually has a chart on what number boost you'll get compared to how many liters.

The ones at Canadian tire, some say "Up to 3 numbers with up to 75 liters"... I've never been a fan of "up to" ratings and want to know what I'm getting.

That said... $1.04 per liter in Ottawa this week for 91.

But back on point, lots of station employees don't know the actual makeup of the fuel they're selling. Having been in the industry I've always made sure our sites have ethanol free premium especially because of the customers with older vehicles, and boaters. And as samuel said with the generator, ethanol in something that doesn't call for it can cause catastrophic damage that is not covered by warranty.

25. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Interesting, where have you actually been able to confirm the esso product status? Shell is the only one I am aware of that clearly will state their top product is ethanol free. I think the petro canada's are the old non ultramar stations, but surprised they would supply these stations differently now.