HOLY %&@*& my windshield split down the middle | Page 2 | FerrariChat

HOLY %&@*& my windshield split down the middle

Discussion in '348/355' started by Subarubrat, Mar 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
  2. gf1red

gf1red Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Staten Island N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    Had it cracked at the rear view also. Went to FOCNJ, insurance took care of it. Thank God that would have been ouch bill.

3. ready321now

ready321now Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey
    Mine has a perfect straight line down the middle too...it's the antenna.

I guess you are talking about an actual crack though. Just a thought.

4. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott

I feel silly but $2100 better off. Soooooo, I installed some new LED strip lighting with a bazillion lumens in the garage, apparently the color temp which is adjustable makes the antenna wire glow a bight silver making it pop like a perfect crack I saw the car on my way out to work the other morning and did not get a chance to look at it till now. I can alter the color temp a few hundred to either side and the wire pulls a disappearing act. Well played Samsung, well played.

5. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I can't believe this...it was just the antenna the whole time? I'm sure you are quite relieved...odd mistake to make, but I'd rather have made that mistake (thinking it was a crack) and then have to admit I looked at it wrong than actually being right that it was a full length crack :)

6. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have stared that wire in the face for years, cleaned the window many times, but that perfect color temp made it look like a silver neon glow!

7. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #32 308 GTB, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Scott, sometimes conditions are just right to highlight the antenna. My Garmin Dash Cam reveals that wire too...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Whew! Well, I'm glad it wasn't really broken. Now that we've got that taken care of, how's the Brat coming along?

9. ready321now

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey
    This is why I love Ferrari Chat. People have helped me out a bunch...glad to have shed some neon light on this subject.

10. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Great save Brian!!! Kudos!!!

11. ready321now

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey
    Well luckily the dealer would have caught it too, I suppose it just would have been a wasted trip, but then again it's always fun to visit the dealerships. I always wind up buying some hundred dollar polo shirt in the gift shop

12. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Would they declare it though?

An honest dealer would (hopefully doing there best not to embarrass the owner at the same time as pointing out their error), but I'm sure there are plenty of unscrupulous dealers who, having an owner come in wanting a windscreen replaced because they are convinced it is cracked when it isn't really, would fit a new windscreen just to make a bit of money.

Should the owner then go back and say: "Hey! - I've got the same line in the new screen and have found out it's just the antenna and not a crack", all the dealer would have to say is: "Yes, the antenna is visible on these screens but your old screen did have a crack down the middle. Unfortunately we've already disposed of the old broken screen"

Without the screen, the owner wouldn't be able to prove anything.

13. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #38 Subarubrat, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    excellent outcome :)

15. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
  16. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    :D :D It did cross my mind but I thought nooo. Great ending because it was a cheap one :p

17. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    The trick is to remove the bottom trim then punch/push the old windshield out by the inside. That will make the trim pop out and avoid getting damaged.

If you try to remove it before from the outside, that's when you get into trouble.

My installer did it this way and he does all the windshields for the local F dealer.

I also got my oem Sigla windshield from pro source glass intl. Great service, amazing price!