430 Scuderia Rotor Options | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 Scuderia Rotor Options

Discussion in '360/430' started by NT-16M, Mar 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Tom Great info, thanks. Thought you also had 398 mm CER rotors for the front.

2. NT-16M

NT-16M Karting

May 17, 2013
    I'm not Tom, Terry.

Also, he might have a 398mm kit but I'm just sharing what he provided me with.

3. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Great info in this thread.

I have a question for the community: How does one know when the OEM rotors need to be changed, assuming there's no visible wear/damage? It's my understanding that you judge the condition of the CCM rotors by weight, not thickness. Does this mean one needs to periodically remove and weigh all the rotors? If so, at what period?

4. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    Yes Dave- remove & weigh them less hats, they also have a thickness listed but the weight tells the story not thickness.

+1 on Gyrodisc steel conversion - great people to deal with, fantastic service, excellent product, always in stock. 3 years of track use, no issues. The stock Scud rotors are so big I have yet to find any brake fade even after 30+ laps @ fast tracks (VIR, glen)

5. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Which brings me back to: When should we do this? Anyone know if there is a particular mileage at which Ferrari suggests you weigh your rotors? I haven't heard of anyone doing this as part of routine maintenance. Guessing that track work means that they should be checked sooner than if the car had not been tracked.

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- Ferrari recommends rotor changes every second pad change. Pretty imprecise.

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    NT- Sorry, should have looked.

8. NT-16M

NT-16M Karting

May 17, 2013
    No need to apologize, Terry. I apologize if my response came across as rude.

9. Mike@Girodisc

Mike@Girodisc Rookie
    BANNED

May 29, 2015
    Belllingham
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hey Robert :) thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you've been happy with everything on both cars.

If anyone has any technical questions feel free to post them up, I would be happy to answer and any and all of them!

10. racingbrake

racingbrake Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2014
    Fullerton, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Links updated:

Front: RB CCM-X Rotors for Ferrari F430 Scuderia & Challenge Front

Rear: RB CCM-X Rotors for for Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale & F430 (incl. Scuderia & 430 Challenge) Rear

Links updated:

Front:Two-piece Rotor - Ferrari 430 Scuderia / Spider 16M (Iron Repl.)

Rear:IronTwo-piece rotor replacement (Open Slot) for Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale, 430 Scud, F430 w/CCM, F430 Challenge, F430 Spider Rear 350x34mm Rear

11. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Sub'd.

Brought my Scud to the dealer and they said a pad/rotor change would be advised if I intend to track the car (which I intend to do a couple times a year). Interested in this thread and very interested in the Sicom route (Rebrake as they are now rebranded).

My question is, what's to keep them from saying, "your rotors are not rebuildable" and you lose your deposit.

Also interested in the AP racing iron rotors. But I have a tendency to go the "cheaper" route to start then end up spending more money in the long haul than if I just spent more money the first time and did things "right". I can spend the $12k but would really rather not.

12. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    I agree - I could buy new CCM's but why?

IMHO, use the very inexpensive and effective Girodisc steels, put the CCM back on if you decide to sell the car and pocket - $10k every time you wear a set out. Call it your savings plan for a 488 Scud. Under HARD track use they do get a bit too hot after 30+ minutes but who cares, the 1st time is a bit more expensive because you buy Hats & rotors but only rotors after that - $600ea if i remember correctly. Also they have the Raybestos NASCAR pads that do an excellent job on track, kind of dusty but I like cleaning mine.

13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I am not sure what kind of ducting the Scud has as it has CCM's, but have you considered further ducting?

Are the girodiscs + pads easier to modulate for street driving? Ive found the stock ccm setup is difficult to modulate smoothly for stop and go traffic.

14. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    The scud has no ducting for brake cooling. If I intended to keep using it on track I would install 430/360 CH ducts. I am returning it to the street, and only running the CH car on track. The track pads from Girodisc would not be optimum on the street, very similar to the CCM they need heat to work properly. I will change over to a street brake compound and leave the steel rotors, if I find myself in need of a backup car for track - swap back to the racing raybestos and go. I do understand your modulation comment - they were not bad- pads only work in a temp range and the best ones for the track are usually terrible on the street. These were OK on the street in temps over 70 deg f, never tried when it was cold out, or cold and wet. They were better modulation then cold CCMs but also a lot dustier.

Not sure if I will keep those pads just for the street, may try something in a lower heat range. Very inexpensive vs ccm pads.

15. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If anyone has some OEM spare hats for sale please give me a shout. I will buy them.

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Amazing the Scud/16M has no extra brake ducting. The 575M HGTC even had special upper A arms with hose brackets, a unique lower front under-body panel with NACA ducts and large hoses to cool its CCM brakes. I guess stopping a 4000 lb front engine V12 is more of a chore than stopping a 3100 lb, mid-engine V8.

17. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Subscribed!

18. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Just an update to this post, Exotics is using AP Racing's J-hook iron rotors at least on one of their cars. I was at the Ferrari dealership yesterday to get some sage advise from John and saw an ER Scud in the parking lot.

Manda racing likes this.
  19. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    No, it needs them if you are really an animal IMHO. I bought a bunch of challenge pieces to put them in but stopped tracking it and started racing instead. So they are now garage art ; )

Scud is supposedly just under 3k lbs. Haven't had mine on the scales though.

20. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    Single- if you want to turn the garage art back to cash PM me- I wouldn't mind putting the ducts on my Scud -even as my backup track car they will get used. My problem with the Scud is when I drive on the street it feels like such a waste, then I track it and feel like I'm beating her up too much. So I keep going back and forth?!?!?

With CST off, full slicks and suspension, Scud needs ducts.

Manda racing likes this.
  21. NT-16M

NT-16M Karting

May 17, 2013
    Jim. If you end up pulling the trigger on the AP Racing rotors, please let us know what you think.

I know that other platforms have had very good success with them but haven't heard any Ferrari owner's comments on them.

22. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Apparently, my current rotors are good for awhile. My pads are good for "daily driving" but would need replacement if I track the car, according to the dealer tech. So, when I take the car in for it's service in Jan, it's getting a full set of RSC1's and will leave the rotors for now.

Getting a fresh set of PSC2's too. I wanted to wait until the next gen PSC came out but I have '09 Corsas on the car and they are dangerous.

When the time for rotor replacement comes, I'm leaning towards a set from surface transforms. The Scud deserves CCB's.

23. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sorry - just saw this. Let me put all of them together, snap some pics, and send you a PM.

24. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    For a bolt-on conversion really there isn't anything special to look out for: it's an easy thing to do. Any number of experienced aftermarket engineering companies could produce copies for circa $1500 - without the Ferrari tax.

I have to say, the direct copies of the OEM 398mm CCM disc and pad dimensions are not how I'd do it, simply because steels don't need that area to be effective. A proper conversion should have a significantly reduced pad depth and accompanying discs for the stock calipers otherwise the weight penalty vs performance doesn't stack up.

Manda racing and Gillis Haasnoot like this.