Tragic Ferrari Crash in Dubai | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Tragic Ferrari Crash in Dubai

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Nospinzone, Mar 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Exactly.

2. neilmac

neilmac Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Oakville, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Expresses my thoughts exactly.

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +2

I always have an extinguisher in my car, & like to think I'd at least have grabbed that & tried to help. However, I'm no 'paramedic', so not so sure I could help folks beyond trying to put the fire out.

I do know that I wouldn't have reached for my cell phone camera however.

Anyone know if these 'liveleak' type sites pay for this kind of crap? I sincerely hope not.....

OTOH, and I've heard this comment a few times here in States, everyone's concerned about getting sued here. - Try and help, & all of a sudden there's a lawsuit from some 'ambulance chasing' attorney coming after your arse 'cos *you* didn't do the right thing. :(

Regards,
    Ian

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I know some paramedics that do. Not sure about my colleagues. Never met a Psychiatrist that carried trauma supplies in their Lexus. :) But IIRC most will stop to help.

The really sad thing is I met a few docs who have been sued and they told me they won't stop to help. I can't say I blame them. I personally would stop and have.. but the good samaratan laws haven't stopped people from being sued!

I carry a fire extinguisher in my cars because you never know! Esp. when you drive a Ferrari! :)

5. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Epically dumb, stupid idea to cram 4 people into that car. Dumber to drive recklessly with that many people crammed into that car.

I've done some really dumb and stupid things in a car when I was in my teens and twenties. So I say what I say now having somehow survived being a dumb**** in my youth.

Tragic nonetheless, and didn't need to happen. Looks like they had bright futures ahead. RIP. They're in my thoughts.

6. Liquid Assets

Liquid Assets Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2009
    Cloud 9
    I understand your point 100%.

Like I said Cody was my little brothers closest friend. I have known the kid for 10 years. To see that video of his dead limb body really disturbed me yesterday. I didn't sleep for one minute last night...

I have tried hard to ignore some of the incredibly ignorant comments made in this thread. I am 29 now but when I was in my early 20s I made a lot of mistakes. But to bash and put down a dead kid over a mistake that many others have made, rubs me the wrong way.

Put your kid or son or brother in that Ferrari under the same circumstances and tell me if you would write the exact same comment... I doubt it

7. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    I agree with you wholeheartedly.
    Tragic situation no matter how you slice it.

None of us grew up perfect. The comments in this thread are alarming..

8. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    +1000

It was very difficult for me to watch that video not knowing any of them, I can't imagine watching it from your perspective.

9. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    OK. I certainly understand a psychiatrist may not be the perfect option! ;) But I'd still guess anyone with 'PhD' in their name would be more helpful than these goons with their cell phones.

What a damning indictment of the society in which we now live. :(

+1

I'm remodeling right now, and the building codes demand a smoke detector in every 'sleeping space' plus a CO detector where appropriate. I can't help thinking an extinguisher should be mandatory in every vehicle sold for the same kinds of reasons.

Cheers,
    Ian

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    My heart goes out to you and your brother. Was your brother's friend the boxer?

Again, my deepest condolences.

11. ferrarisun

ferrarisun Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2011
    And to add a financial injury to the tragic loss for the families, I would imagine it will cost quite bit to have the deceased flown back to the U.S. It's easy to spend 8-10 dollars just on a decent funeral, plus the added cost of a plot in a cemetery. A wrongful death lawsuit against the estate of the driver of the 458 could very well happen, also.

12. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Sorry, but for me, the way I was raised, I would not be "thinking" about repercussions. I would dive in driven by my compassion and empathy. Last night Saving Private Ryan was on....and the gruesome landing at Normandy scene opens the film. Men have giant holes blown in them....men are blown in half. Yet men around them under a barrage of bullets are trying to save them or drag them to safety.

For me, I can imagine having nightmares for years if I just stood there and did nothing....knowing that at the very least I could have held that guy or girl's hand and told them everything was going to be okay. I should think dying alone, or worse ignored, staring up into space, must be one of the saddest and most lonely experiences imaginable.

13. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    But threatening to ruin people's lives with lawsuits when they cross you is ok.

Whatever with the over the top self glorifying bs of what you'd do. Compassion and empathy my ass. This new exZ is so different than the previous one it's creepy.

14. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Lol. I agree with this.

15. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I sold my old 911 to a nice guy in his late 40's with his late teen age kid standing next to him. Fast forward 3 years and i get a letter from the state advising me 'my ' car was being sold for salvage bla bla bla. I call the number of the wrecking yard out of curiosity.

It was in three pieces. The guy gave it to his 18 year old kid for a graduation present, kid wrapped it around a pole with another college kid. Both dead.

Ive done supid suff as a kid behind the wheel, just got lucky...nothing more.

16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I watched that video..it didn't seem real. Scary stuff when I think about all the stuff I used to do behined the wheel. Now with a wife and kids, I'm the guy people honk at.

I'm lucky to be alive.

17. Tricycle

Tricycle Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    LA Cnty 4,083sqmiles
    I thought the Good Samaritan Law cover the people who try and help

Clicking down to the United States it says
    "United States
    The details of good Samaritan laws/acts vary by jurisdiction, including who is protected from liability and under what circumstances.[23] Not all jurisdictions provide protection to laypersons, instead protecting only trained personnel, such as doctors or nurses and perhaps also emergency services personnel such as trained police, fire and EMS workers.[24]"

I guess it doesn't or not to any "civilians"

18. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Wow that's interesting. I thought it was the opposite. I thought it protected lay people who weren't trained in first aid from doing the wrong thing, but that trained professionals were held to a higher standard.

19. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    You said it brother!

20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It wouldn't stop me personally from rendering aid... but apparently it doesn't stop you from having to take time off work and give a deposition or pay to fend off an attorney. Again.. just what I've been told by others.

Sadly, I wouldn't go into that situation without the thought that some scum sucking attorney would convince the estate of the family to sue me for some BS reason.... There was one instance where a woman was pulled from a wreck by her friend. Was paralyzed from the waist down. She sued her friend claiming that removing her from the car caused her paralysis. A jury agreed with the plaintiff.

In this country I'd ALWAYS have that on the back of my mind. :(

21. Braces

Braces Karting

Mar 24, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Why not a Halon system that is used on most boats?

22. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    That car was so torn apart, I doubt any extinguisher system would have been able to function.

23. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Halon is also illegal in many places outside the USA.

And maybe even inside the USA for all I know.

24. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Maybe, but wasn't actually my point - It'd typically be more useful for trying to extinguish someone else's fire..... If I'm on fire, I'm already in a world of hurt....

Cheers,
    Ian

25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

preferably the system used on most race cars which go off like a bomb almost. A little hand held one won't do much good...

Pagani has a neat system which when a fire is detected, the valve inside the flameproof fuel lines completely cuts off any fuel going into the engine or anywhere else to make sure the fire doesn't spread.