Tragic Ferrari Crash in Dubai | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Tragic Ferrari Crash in Dubai

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Nospinzone, Mar 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It's hard to know the exact context of the situation from the video. From what I read one girl was beyond saving, not sure about the other guy. As for the girl that was moving her arms, I agree..all things considered - the right thing would have been there by her to give aid and comfort. One thing I want to note though, is her injuries (especially to her head) may have been...grizzley..to the point where any person would rightly conclude it is beyond anything anyone can do. Without really being there and knowing the full context (was there secondary explosions, etc) - hard to really judge.

2. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Yes. We weren't there. Good point re the poor girl. She may have been obviously farther gone than we realize. I hope so for her sake.

3. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I agree completely that it is very likely she couldn't have been saved, but I don't know how you don't at least try to save her. I've seen people at the DMV move faster. A lot faster.

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #129 paulchua, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Agreed, assuming she didn't have a very explicit injury (we can use our imaginations), just leaving her there all alone is not cool. Just seeing her from far away and having her hands move (could be spasm) is still just too hard to know the specific condition she may have been in. I've seen many accident scenes, yes with even moving victims, that any fair minded person would rightly conclude no aid can really be rendered (physical as well as emotional) without professional assistance. I've read the force of impact/ejection was enough to render the other women beyond any logical assistance.

I understand the train thought though: We should all hope aid and comfort is provided (even by strangers) to our loved ones and friends in distress. Furthermore, I didn't watch the whole video, some victims may have no pulses anymore or beyond resuscitation, it may explain the lack of speed from emergency responders...again just my speculation.

Be well and I wish you all the safest and happiest of drives.

Cheers

5. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Thank you!

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Me too.

Car couldn't make the turn, skidded, hit a curb and started flipping. I was in the passenger rear and was thrown from the car (4 door) When I regained consciousness I was on my back lying about 5 feet from the car that was upside down. I was 16. I could have died that moment in Aug 1984 but I didn't. You just never know.

7. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    What an unbelievable display of moral confusion.
    I don't think you are.

8. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I would simply say this. While I don't believe in racism (Our DNA is nearly all the same) I do believe in culturalism. Sorry, but yes, people are different. In England they will form a perfect line to, e.g., board a bus. In Italy they simply don't queue! We see cultural differences in cars and we used to really see them before mass production. German cars were very different in so many ways from Italian or French cars. French painters were different from Dutch painters. The American work ethic is different from other countries views on work. In China there were stories that went viral of people being injured, including a little girl run over by a truck....and they'd just walk on by! Countries are different. Cultures are different. So I stand by my original statement. I believe, generally speaking, in America and some other countries, people would have responded very differently had this accident occurred in say New York, LA, Dallas or San Francisco.

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #134 paulchua, Mar 16, 2016
    The basis of your thesis is sadly true, not sure if I can make a call on Dubai's level of empathy or altruism since I have no knowledge of that culture.

Cheers

PS I often call myself a culturist too! Especially when charged with racism, I always say I have a positive view of South Korea, but generally dislike North Koreans.. This is the first time I've heard the term used besides myself!

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Good God!! That's scary!!

Glad angels were with you that day!

Cheers

11. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Agreed.

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Your opinion doesn't matter to me...

13. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #138 texasmr2, Mar 16, 2016
    Stupid drivers killing their passengers is the real tragedy.

PS, Ain't life a trip.

14. Liquid Assets

Liquid Assets Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2009
    Cloud 9

ARE YOU FKN KIDDING ME??? Did I just see these people walk around them like they weren't even there. #+#*?£{^{%]*}>{

15. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    I can agree to some extent with that. From own experience (having spent several years in total in various african/arabic countries) I know that e.g. in Arabic countries the tendency to remain inactive, at least unorganized, upon an event wil be somewhat higher than say in Germany. Somewhat less self-initiative, statistically.

But I nevertheless stick to that all of this still is a matter of individuals, not of ethnics and less of general culture. Simply because anyone will be able to provide examples to the opposite. I just give a few. Some years ago I had a crash due to wild passing the highway, resulting in an (luckily somewhat controlled) impact into the guardrail. My wife and I were without any injury, for Gods sake. Immediately after the impact another car emergency stopped and two jung lads of arabic ethnics jumped out and ran to us for aid, if needed. I do not believe that this was due to them being "well integrated", it presumably just was their personal nature. In another case I know due to my membership in the voluntary fire brigade, two jung arab fellows dashed right into a burning house for rescuing several aged persons therefrom, successfully. Before the fire trains had arrived. Heros, imo. Neither because they being arabic, nor despite this. Just being more that average engaged mankind, even for "German standards" ;).

16. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Guys ... I am based in Dubai for the last 9 years. I am European and have lived in the US and Asia (Hong Kong) at different times and I have some perspective on this matter:

What we see in the video is definitely apathy by some of the people at the scene. This is not an indication of Dubai as a whole. I have witnessed other incidents where people rush to help and some, like this one, where people just watch and take no action. You need to understand that Dubai is a melting pot of different cultures and nationalities and we cant expect everyone to react the same.

I didn't see any Emiratis (locals) in that video. Most people I saw appear to be Indian and Pakistani along with some other miscellaneous expats.
    The guys with the fire extinguisher who were trying to get the driver out of the car looked like taxi drivers who were passing by (based on what they were wearing). I didn't see any emergency response or first responders in the video and I think the siren we hear in the video is probably from a private security patrol car as all the buildings at JLT have them.
    I saw a couple of people standing around, one helping the guys with the fire extinguisher, that were wearing high visibility jackets, those are definitely security guards and I can promise you that they are not trained to handle any situation like this.
    If the cops were on the scene they would have taken control of the area and we would have seen them in the video.

17. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Also,from a medical perspective,the girl they were standing around may have been the one cut in half. I attended a railway worker alive but run over by a train in the lower abdomen. The para medics were standing around not sure of what to do. Its a very human reaction for the inexperienced.

18. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Regarding cultural differences, I couldn't agree more. I've done business all over the world and the way you approach business in every country is very, very different -- none better nor worse than the other for the most part -- but just very different. I like the cultural differences -- a downside of globalization IMO is that it slowly erodes some of what makes each country special and unique.

Regarding stupidity, we've all done stupid things in our youth. Most of us couldn't afford to have that stupidity play out on the scale of a Ferrari 458. Looking back, maybe that was a good thing. Translation: I feel bad for all of them -- no doubt there was a heavy dose of stupidity in the mix -- but doing stupid things is an inseparable part of youth (no matter how much our subconscious selectively filters out the many bad decisions we all made in our younger years). I don't know anything about the boxer, but apparently he had accomplished a lot by age 24.

19. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    after seeing the video, I will be first to admit - I don't think I would have known what to do either. I would like to think that I would help, but after seeing the video, Im not sure how I could or would ? One thing I know for sure, I would NOT pull out my cell and video tape it.

20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I carry trauma dressings, IV's and some hemostats in the car with me at all times. This could have been in the hills an hour from a trauma center. Agree not fair to judge others. So many rural immigrants to the area as guest workers they might not even be able to read let alone render aid.

In this case the one with the arms moving is the one to attend first IMHO, ABC's.. then get a line in and address any active bleeding. I presume that with cerebral edema was the major issue at play with that patient..

21. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I can't help but think that the girls were yelling at the top of their lungs for this guy to slow down until the moment he lost control.

Young or not, speeding or not, there's always a fine line. Speeding is speeding, what this ******* did was something beyond speeding.

Here's another eerie post on his instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCOPxiGlWbd/?taken-by=travelwithcody

22. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Very good! Thanks! Our very own Professor Sid. Cool!

Would you say a few/many/most of your peers do the same?

Regards,
    Ian

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Very good points here - I appreciate your perspective!

24. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    Most of those people filming are third-world-country expatriates. I'm not surprised one bit at their apprehensiveness to get involved - it's ingrained into them from their own cultural upbringings. Not trying to get flamed, but this is the truth. Keep in mind this is the Middle East and most of the 3rd world expats live in perpetual fear of being deported/charged with little recourse. The entire region is like this.

I think (or like to think) it would have been different if there were Western national's on-site who would rush to the scene without fear of repercussion.

25. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683

Intelligent comments. Much better than some of the other "armchair quarterbacking."