Just landed into Dubai picked up the Ferrari! Don't worry I won't speed ;) | FerrariChat

Just landed into Dubai picked up the Ferrari! Don't worry I won't speed ;)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Prancing12, Mar 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
  2. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Wow, 3 of them in the car.

3. Prancing12

Prancing12 Karting

May 8, 2005
    Which part says I'm being clever or trying to amuse anyone ?

Those are the last words of a man who said he won't speed, are you drunk or just not concentrating well enough ?

4. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    You seem to be making light of the incident with your picture comment and that's what I pointed out. I didn't feel the need to be insulting which, apparently you do - no need for me to comment further.

5. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    Umm, the thread title is from the Instagram post by one of the people in the car. Not sure OP is making light on anything...

6. jomana

jomana Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2004
    What a dumb ass thread !!

7. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It's tragic that a clearly inexperienced driver sets off with 2 passengers in a 2 seat car and has this terrible result. When renting at a track one typically must sit thru a classroom session before going out, and typically has someone from the track staff in the car.

8. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Unfortunate tragedy. Also three people in the car.

9. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I just read another article that said there were 4 persons killed two men and two women. Possibly 4 in the car. Very sad indeed.

10. makethemsaywow

makethemsaywow Karting

Mar 24, 2015
    SF, CA
    Second link says 4 people died (all occupants of the Spider).

I recommend adding quotation marks to your thread title.

11. Rosino81

Rosino81 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    London, UK
    Exactly.. not the best chosen subject title I have seen...

12. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Darwin has taken some more. Bad idea to stuff more than two people in there anyway

13. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
  14. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Looks like going over 120mph and crashed then flipped over. So there is also no speed limit in Dubai?

15. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    #16 Skyler, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. DXB599

DXB599 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dubai has very strict speed limits and NUMEROUS traffic cameras to catch speeders. Max speed limit on the highways is 100 kmph on most, but a couple are 120 kmph. Very few places you can stretch the legs on a Ferrari without getting multiple tickets within a couple of minutes. They also impound vehicles for certain offenses. Traffic laws are strictly enforced.

17. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I've seen some really tasteless and thoughtless posts on deaths in the silver forum and have called some out on it.

The OP was reporting this event. He made no other comments. The crash is tragic to say the least. I don't know the best word to use regarding the driver's post? Ironic?

18. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Wow...very sad.

19. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
  20. XP1LM

XP1LM Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Truong
    Yeah you better leave and especially hide after making fake assumptions on the OP. He didn't express a single opinion on the crash and you accused of something he didn't do. If you took a second to read analyze the picture, you would know those are the words of the victim himself, not the OP.

21. Prancing12

Prancing12 Karting

May 8, 2005
    Alcohol, speed factors in Dubai Ferrari crash | GulfNews.com

Dubai Prosecutor confirms four victims killed on Sunday had consumed alcohol.

Dubai: A holidaying American woman was sliced in half in mid-air by a utility pole after she was catapulted from a fiery Ferrari crash on Sunday attributed to a lethal combination of alcohol and speed, a senior Dubai prosecutor told Gulf News on Tuesday.

Describing the scene as one of the most grisly he has ever witnessed in his professional career, Prosecutor General Salah Bu Farousha said the female victim was ejected from the open top of the sports car when it slammed into a lamppost and erupted into a fireball on March 6.

Early estimates suggest the two-seater sports car was travelling along Al Sarayah Street in Jumeirah Lakes Towers at up to four times the 40km/h speed limit around 12.40am when the single-vehicle accident happened.

The roadside was strewn with pieces of the disintegrated sports car when police, fire and prosecution responders arrived on scene, including Bu Farousha, who was called to the site to examine the accident between 12.45am and 3am.

Alcohol was certainly a factor in the collision that claimed the lives of two Canadian men and two American women, forensic testing has revealed.

“The four persons, who travelled in the car, were all drunk — alcohol in their blood levels varied between 19 and 88 mg/dl. The on-site inspection of the crash scene was horrendous. I cannot reveal or speculate the exact speed, but evidently it was multiple times more than the Al Sarayah Street’s allowed limit [40km/h]. Obviously while inspecting the crash scene, the view was massive. The accident happened on a relatively hilly street … there is a slope and the vehicle is a light, sporty and special race car that requires special kind of driving, particularly in such a street,” said Bu Farousha, who also serves as Chief Traffic Prosecutor and Head of Dubai Traffic Public Prosecution.

Blood samples of victims’ bodies at General Department of Forensic Medicine showed elevated levels of alcohol, said Bu Farousha.

Dubai Police have identified the two men as holidaying Canadians Cody Nixon, 25, a boxer, and James Portuondo, 27.

Nixon represented his home province of Ontario at the Canadian Boxing Championships in 2012 and has since travelled around the world. Friends commenting on social media said he was a free spirit.

Nixon’s adventures were illustrated by his world travels in pictures uploaded to his TravelwithCody Instagram page where the last image he posted was himself with a yellow Ferrari.

The other victims in the crash were American women identified as two holidaying Boston university students — Priscilla Perez Torres and Victoria McGrath — who survived injuries sustained in the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing.

The four were crammed into the speeding two-seater Ferrari sports car at the time of the accident.

The Ferrari’s Canadian driver had 26 mg/dl of alcohol in his blood and had to be removed from inside the car.

The three other passengers [Nixon, Torres and McGrath} were ejected from the vehicle.

The exact speed won’t be specified until results of the special electronic speed reader recovered from the car wreckage are examined, he said.

Security cameras’ footage taken from a hotel’s CCTV cameras located 10 minutes away from the crash scene, according to Bu Farousha, showed that the victims weren’t seated in a normal way inside the Ferrari.

“The footage clearly showed the boxer sitting between the driver’s seat and the passenger seat where the two women sat clutching each other. The convertible roof was open and one of the women was thrown out and hit a nearby lamppost and was cut in two. The other two passengers were also thrown out of the car and died instantly. In terms of criminal jurisdiction, the criminal case will be dropped automatically due to the driver’s demise,” he said.

“Meanwhile, the successors of the other victims have the civil right to seek blood money … but that would only be decided by the Civil Court when and if their families decide to pursue legal action,” said Bu Farousha.

Prosecution investigation remains pending until the final results and reports of fire experts and Dubai Police’s mechanical committee are concluded, he said.

“It is expected to be finalised within a week or so,” he said.

Boston mourns young women

One of the female victims in the fatal Ferrari crash in Dubai on Sunday morning was a college student who was badly wounded during the Boston Marathon bombing in 2013.

Victoria McGrath was killed on Sunday, along with her roommate at Northeastern University, Priscilla Perez Torres, the Boston school confirmed.

McGrath, 23, received severe shrapnel injuries to her left leg from the first of two bombs placed near the marathon finish line on April 15, 2013. Three people were killed and more than 260 others were injured in the bombing.

A Northeastern spokesman said McGrath was scheduled to graduate this spring from Northeastern’s school of business.

Torres, who was also scheduled to graduate this spring, came to Northeastern from Guaynabo, Puerto Rico, and was passionate about travel and working on issues related to nutrition and women’s health.

The US Embassy in Abu Dhabi declined to comment.

22. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Wow Boston Marathon survivor. Unfortunate situation. Rip

23. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Dumb. Incredibly dumb.

The idiot tried to drive sitting on the center console?

24. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    Gah, this line brought back some memories of when I did work in Dubai a few years ago.

I pity the family members who head down there... I don't doubt for a second that the Car Rental company will try and go after them for the value of the car... freeze their passports... try and get them to sign documents written in Arabic etc.

On a similar note, this behaviour is exceptionally stupid given that the region follows Muslim laws where drinking and non-related/married male to female interaction is generally frowned upon (loosely speaking for Dubai).