LaFerrari Spider? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

LaFerrari Spider?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by gt_lusso, Mar 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Probably most owners of the spider are already owners of the coupe, so I doubt they care about exclusivity, etc.

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    You already know the answer, don't you?

Marcel Massini

3. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Thats a legitimate question and I get 100% the thought process that maybe this is just about making a profit. However, IMHO the analysis is more about whether you believe that history will repeat itself. Seems to me that LE F cars historically do in fact rise in value. Why fight history ? Yes values will ebb and flow with business cycles that may runs several years or even decades. As far as buying 6 LE F cars in 6 years - that would be a very impressive collection of awesome machines no ? 2011 - 599 GTO, 2011 - 599SA, 2014- LaF, 2015 458SA, 2016 - F12TDF and 2017 - LaF Spider ....... thats a pretty cool collection of "daily drivers" and maybe they'll even increase in value a bit (although I doubt the owner of such a collection would really cry if their collection didn't increase in value).

4. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

Not sure I buy that from a value/perceived exclusivity point of view. For example, the 349 F50s made came with a removable hard top. If, instead, the production had been 349 coupes and, say, another 150 open-tops, would the valuation of the coupe be lower than current F50 valuation? I would think so.

Going in the other direction, I would guess a limited-run F12 TdF would be valued higher if there was no base F12.

You can argue that non-road going versions of the base car are exceptions to the above argument, but I would suggest that, for road going versions, total number across variants matter.

5. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Actually, I don't, I haven't hung around here lately so I wasn't up on the latest information on this subject.

And the last I had heard was that since the public offering Ferrari was committing to the stated production number, that they were not going to go over it like they have always done in the past.

So, have the serial number sleuths uncovered more than 499 LaFerrari's?

-F

6. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    First off, when you look at the V8 models, the hard top numbers and the spider numbers are separated. If they are combined, they are stated as hard top+spider, combined. They aren't just mashed together without that description. But typically, they are separated out, hard top has one number and the spider has a separate number.

Second, the values of the two models are not affected by the other. They are treated as separate models with their own valuations.

Additionally, when the F60 America came out (super exclusive I know) the values of the 599 Aperta were not affected, as far as I know.

When the 458 Speciale A came out, values for the 458 Speciale were not affected.

These are different models with different buyers.

But let's look forward. If what you say is true, then when the LaFerrari spider is released, values for the LaFerrari on the secondary market will go down. I assert that will NOT happen.

-F

7. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Definitely a very cool collection :)

8. SlvSurfer

SlvSurfer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2005
    Monaco/Canada
    Will it keep the same doors? if it does then thats awesome

9. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel

I Would refer to The 599 GTO and The 599 SA; neither one was affected in terms of Exclusivity here

Sent from my iphone with Tapatalk

10. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    Mclaren can do this so why not Ferrari?

11. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Have the lawyers consider whether that applies if 550 LaFerrari were produced before that perceived promise (or is it an undertaking to only produce 499 MORE !)

12. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I would have thought a big difference between LF and LF Spyder and you can rest assured Ferrari will make it so if there was any question.

13. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Is bieber getting one?

14. AlexGR

AlexGR Rookie

Oct 31, 2011
    #64 AlexGR, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. 250P

250P Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I'm guessing the number of fixed head LaF's is in excess of 700

16. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Wow! This car is a dream!

How will the doors open? Conventional or scissors?

17. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    These limited production cars do need more than small numbers to make them special.
    Having said that, a spider La Ferrari is a very special model. The last open top mid rear V 12 with carbon tub and panels was the F-50.

18. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    What have the serial numbers sleuths turned up? CARBON, where are you?

-F

19. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
  20. faykau

faykau Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    i don't want to sound rude, but those little people in the car really ruin it for me.

21. Ferrari FXX

Ferrari FXX Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2007
    It shouldn't surprise you or anyone else. Sergio said he would go for more cash and this is why he and Montezemolo parted ways. Why would you leave 300 million dollars on the table when customers are ready and willing to pay? 150 LaFerrari Spiders at 2 million will keep the LaFerrari ultra exclusive and rare.

This is exactly why Montezemolo had to leave. Ferrari is looking for more money and capital. I think this was a great move. I love Montezemolo but its just flat out dumb not to make any LaFerrari Spiders.

22. erik__c

erik__c Rookie

Oct 21, 2014
    DC
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Now that Ferrari is a public company, don't they have an obligation to their shareholders not to leave money on the table? Looking at LaF pricing, it's roughly doubled in a couple years. Why would Ferrari release a LaF spider that will double in value probably the minute it's driven off the lot? If I were a shareholder, I'd want to maximize profit. Price it for what the market thinks it's worth.

23. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    Because that's not how the market works.

Used LaFerrari prices are set at the margin. What does this mean? It means at any given time you only have a few examples being offered for sale. So yes 2-3 LaFerrari's may fetch double MSRP, however would 20 50 100 of them? The answer is absolutely not. The handful of LaFerrari's that sell at double MSRP end up setting the value for all 500.

Ferrari had to sell 500+ cars not 1 or 2, so they very well understand that it would be a very tough proposition selling 500 units at 2.5mil euro.

The reason Ferrari vets the customers is so the used car market only sees a tiny % of total supply ever listed for sale. Like right now, there is what 1% of total produced LaF's listed? That way when one sells for 2-3x MSRP, the clients who are not sellers can feel psychologically great about their purchase. Prices for anything are always set at the margin.

24. supermafy

supermafy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2013
    Rome (it)
    150 Lafe Spider? at least 100 same Lafe-coupé owners.
    no problem ;)