Porsche second only to Lexus in JD Power dependability | FerrariChat

Porsche second only to Lexus in JD Power dependability

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by vinuneuro, Feb 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
  2. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

And Dodge is consistently at or near the bottom. I've owned one Dodge in my life, what a piece of junk!

3. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I just bought a Cayenne GTS and it is flawless.

Joe

4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

How did Ford drop so far, so fast?

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Porche is a great car. Always have been.

6. txitalia

txitalia Formula Junior

May 5, 2013
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Frank
    That's because with very few exceptions, Porsche builds their cars to last forever. I have five of them. From 1987 to 2014. What they lack in creature comforts or "style" they make up for it with exceptional build quality.

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I've never had any problems with any of the Porsche I have owned, including my current 2012 997 Turbo-S w/52k miles and 1988 911 cab w/83k miles.

8. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Turbo motors IMO.

9. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Nothing to do with that. This particular survey is an initial "quality/problems" survey.
    So when Ford introduced their "Sync" system, many folks didn't understand how to use it, so Ford got dinged. Nothing to do with actual quality. The same reason BMW took a dive when their IDrive was also difficult to use. Cadillac is having it with the CUE system.
    To really have an idea of true quality, investigate the wide range of JD Powers results-from initial quality to issues after a longer time period or specifically power trains, HVAC, etc.

10. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    They do have a nice "image". The reality is that Porsche has experienced a number of major engine failure issues over the last decade plus-most recently with every GT3 engine being recalled. The infamous IMS bearing failure caused the death of thousands of 911 and Boxster engines(recalls, half azzed "fixes" and a loss of customer goodwill). They are nice to sit inside of and drive-at least the higher end 911 models. The base Boxsters were incredibly plastic laden years ago.

11. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Very seldom do you come across hard core Dodge fans. And, I have never met anyone who had great praise for Dodge.

12. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    dodge is junk but i know people who love them mostly the trucks or muscle cars of course. i am a ford guy and like to think the issues are just sync related but it sounds like some of the newer cars have been more problematic than previous versions. the turbos worry me. local porsche mechanic swears by lexus engines and in general porsche seems to do very well in these initial ratings but these are just initial... i would expect all luxury brands to do well initially

13. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    This is NOT an initial quality study. As the article writes, it's based on 2013 models and three years of ownership. The initial quality ratings are separate and off first 90 days of ownership.

14. Joker

Joker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Who knows
    Full Name:
    Christian
    The stats are horrible though in reality. Even Lexus basically have a problem on average - 95 problems in 100 cars. Sure, there may be more than one problem on a given car, but those stats don't sound good.

15. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Exactly.
    Reading comprehension goes to H... on forums. They're more interested in spouting than reading the other posts... trying to gain info.

16. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I was on a few boat forums. Most of the jet boats guys are big on Dodge and Chevy, I'm in the minority there being a Ford guy.

I've had one Jeep product before Chrysler took them over for boat towing. My parents bought a Grand Wagoneer for skiing and became the tow vehicle. They bought it new. They are great vehicles. I ended up buying an F250 to tow my boat in 93/4. Since then every tow vehicle has been a Ford. In the days before the Europeans came out with decent SUVS, late 90's, I bought a Lincoln Navigator. I've had a couple Excursion because I needed the towing and seating capacity. Ford hands down has the best fit and finish when you need big towing capabilities.

Now I'm not towing as big. Have a project that requires some off road driving. I bought an F150 almost a year ago. Id rate it very low on fit and finish. The paint in the areas you can't see unless you look, inside the door jams, etc. is extremely poor. I do like the V8, no way would I get the ecoboost. I also like the entertainment system, syncs with my phone, etc.

But for the money can see why in smaller boats people are going to Dodge and Chevy over Ford.

I've had a Porsche Cayenne S since 04. I think the interiors are nicer in the Audi and Mercedes equals. Even the same platform Tourag is nicer interior wise. Handling and performance the Porsche is the best on the market. Only little things like coolant tubes, done under warranty, did replace the battery, major pain as its under the drivers seat. Other then that its been trouble free.

17. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    I was eyeing a manual 2014 MINI Cooper S, but I'm having second doubts after seeing and reading the reliability reports. :s

18. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010

Do it! The new F56 is a blast. My girlfriend has a 2012 R60 Countryman S and it's been trouble free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Not true. You just don't hang out with them. The vintage musclecar owners are Mopar fanatics("Mopar or No Car"). As are the current Hellcat owners. BTW, regardless of how well a Fiat performs on a quality survey, the Hellcat engine program is the equal of anything in the world for durability. The components are incredibly stout and the stress testing and handbuilt nature of the engines is as good as it gets.