Non-metric wheels for 512BBis | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Non-metric wheels for 512BBis

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by speer, Mar 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Lower the car a bit and that look would change. Would be cool if wider than stock rears were an option though to get the deep dish look like the BB wheel.

2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    at least on the image wheels, this was an issue. i could not have been any wider without hitting things. as it is, the tolerance between the inside edges of the rim and the suspension arms and shocks is millimeters.

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    If they added to both sides you could fit a 10" rear. The stock BB rears are 9's with room for a bit more.

4. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

How is the ride quality of the wheels now that you have the installed?

5. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #180 mexicruiser, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I got the wheels a couple of weeks ago, took a while as I ordered the wheels early. I have to admit I was a bit worried but everything turned out ok.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

They look great!

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

they look dead nuts factory. please post a picture and tell us what size tires you mount when you are able.

8. speer

speer Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    phoenix, az
    Full Name:
    jim speer
    #183 speer, Feb 29, 2016
    I put Group 4 wheels on my 512BBi with Pirelli P-Zero Neros. I think the wheels are great. Very original looking. Tires are obviously better than TRXs.

9. ferraripete

look outstanding!!!

10. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    That is absolutely stunning.

11. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    THAT is what we're lookin' for, folks!!!! What size tires did you choose?
    Any pics from different angles?

12. speer

speer Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    phoenix, az
    Full Name:
    jim speer
    The tire size all around is 235/55X17. It comes the closest I could find to the rolling radius of the original TRXs. Wheels are 71/2" front and 81/2" rear, the closest Group 4 could get to the original metric wheel sizes. I don't have pictures from other angles yet, but hope to post some fairly soon. These are great wheels if your goal is to adhere closely to the original sizes. No bling. Hard to distinguish from the metric wheels.

13. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Has anyone purchased these wheels lately. How is the company's reputation lately? I'm just afraid to pull the trigger on buying from a company that is not reliable. Please let me know.
    Thank you.

14. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

The wheels show on their website. As promised, the price is up to 2,500 from intro of 2,000.

Call them, if concerned.

15. SLOT RACER

SLOT RACER Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    Westchester Cnty, NY
    Full Name:
    Rich A.
    Armen,

The company just replace (4) wheels out of (10) purchased that were damaged during
    the earlier first shipments. The company ended up adding additional packing material
    to protect the wheels which were damaged on the front edge of the rims when I received
    them. I still don't think the wheels were damaged during shipping because of the
    fact that the boxes were in perfect condition when received them so I assumed maybe at
    the factory prior to packing.

No problem with the communication with Jonathan he took care of the problem once he
    sorted out his packing problem. I received the replacement wheels at the end of January
    and everything was in perfect condition. I wouldn't have any problem doing business
    with him again if needed. I hope this helps.

As far as tires I've decided to run - BF Goodrich / G-Force Sport Comp-2's

Fronts - 245/45ZR/17

Rear - 275/40ZR/17

I'll post some pictures when I get my car back in the next few weeks with the new wheels
    on.

16. ferraripete

look forward to seeing the pics!

17. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Thank you.
    Helps me A LOT!

18. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Has anyone else given these G4 rims a try?

19. jww427

jww427 Karting

Oct 31, 2016
    White Post Virginia
    Full Name:
    john w. warner IV
    Im in for a set.
    JWW

20. GelongVic

GelongVic Rookie

Oct 26, 2013
    #195 GelongVic, Jan 19, 2017
    I ordered 512BBi wheels from Jonathan Sage's Group 4 Wheels in August 2015 for my 1983 512 BBi. There were no delivery issues with meticulous 17" wheels arriving. I paid the usual duty charges which were not onerous, but reasonable.

My original TRX wheels, approximately 15" wheels, had Michelin TRX 240/55-415 tires mounted front and rear.

In 1989, I mounted BBS 16" wheels, 8" front and 9 1/2" rear, and used a variety of 16" tires, the latest being BFG G Sport Force tires. All of the tires I used since 1989 were marked superior to the original Michelin TRX tires. Over time with the 16" wheels the type and variety of available performance tires decreased, giving me an incentive to purchase the 17" wheels from Jonathan Sage.

With the new 17" Force 4 wheels, 7 1/2" front and 8 1/2" rear, I ordered new tires from the Tire Rack, specifically 225/4545-17 ZR Continental Extreme Contact DWS for the front and 245/50 ZR Continental Extreme Contact DWS for the rear, mounted August 2015.

The Continentals and the Group 4 wheels have proven in two driving seasons to be a great combination of visually appealing wheels with great performing tires. The ride is supple and the side wall stiffness effectively eliminates the snap oversteer that was so characteristic of the TRX tires. It's very easy to drive the 512BBi on throttle at the tire limit. Very enjoyable, to say the least.

Attached are a few photo images of the 512 with the new wheels and Continentals.

21. GelongVic

GelongVic Rookie

Oct 26, 2013
    Error correction: 225/45ZR-17 Continental ExtremeContact DSW 06 and 245/50ZR-17 Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06. Great real world tires.

22. speer

speer Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    phoenix, az
    Full Name:
    jim speer
    This is an update on a set of Group 4 wheels I bought for my 1984 BBi. I have attached a photograph of the car with the wheels mounted. I have now had a number of occasions to do road trips with these wheels (with P Zero Nero Pirelli tires). I'm delighted with them. The tire size all around is 235/55X17. It comes the closest I could find to the rolling radius of the original TRXs. Wheels are 17" with 71/2" front and 81/2" rear, the closest Group 4 could get to the original metric wheel sizes. I have no association with Group 4, but I know they still have wheels in stock. They are in the UK. Image Unavailable, Please Login Also, and for someone who needs a set of original TRXs for show purposes, I have four of them that look virtually new but are old enough that I do not want to drive on them. If anyone is serious enough in them for non-driving purposes to pay $200 plus the cost of shipping, please PM me. The $200 will go to either the Animal Welfare League or the Humane Society here in Phoenix. Thank you.

4rextc likes this.
  23. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Why 17" instead of 16". Wouldn't you want them to feel/look as close as you can to original?

24. speer

speer Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    phoenix, az
    Full Name:
    jim speer
    I believe that the original wheels fit between 16" and 17." My understanding is that, as between the two, Group 4 concluded that 17" was closer to original and that there would be a wider range of currently available tires with the larger size.

25. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Anyone else have a car to show or an update on their drivingexperiece with better rubber.