Message for Samsaprunoff | FerrariChat

Message for Samsaprunoff

Discussion in '308/328' started by PDB, Feb 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi Sam,

I tried send a PM but your inbox is full.

I was given your name by a couple of guys here on the forum as a possible supplier of fuse boxes for a 308 GT4.
    Mine is a '74 series 1 model and the previous owner has fitted the "Fish" fuse boxes, which I don't really like because you can't easily see what fuses are fitted and the covers don't fit. Notwithstanding them being non-original, I prefer the blade type fuses that you use.
    Do you produce fuse boxes for my car and if so, how much are they?

Many thanks,
    Paul

2. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Yeah, good luck with that - Sam's harder to catch than Mongolian Spotted Tongue fever

3. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    what is a "Fish" fuse box ?

Have you considered the "Birdman" retrofit ?

4. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    #4 Pero, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have the Birdman in a series 1 GT4 but will remove it and build a blade fuse box instead. Very tight in the glovebox and difficult to see if glassfuses are ok or not, for me. I think it might fit a series 2 better.

Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Fish fuse boxes are very, very rare. ;)

It didn't look right when I typed it, so yes, I meant Birdman fuse boxes.

Thank you,
    Paul

6. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #6 samsaprunoff, Feb 25, 2016
    Good day Paul,

I rarely check PMs and so I have posted in my fuseblock threads to always send me a direct e-mail... these I get promptly and if I am not traveling, etc I usually respond within a day... usually within a few hours.

As for my Blocks... They are designed to be modern factory replacement to the OEM blocks for the 308 and Boxer (late 365 and 512s). The blocks use the modern ATC/Blade style fuses and maintain the use of the factory OEM covers. If you look in the Boxer section you will find a very detailed thread that I did when I designed this blocks.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/boxers-tr-m/140216-boxer-fuse-block-upgrade.html

I have the blocks "sort of" in stock... "sort of" in the sense that I have all of the components ready, but I have to complete the final assembly (about 1.5 hours or so)... which has been a problem for me, as I am swamped with work duties (I average 70+ hours a week). That being said, those that are in desperate need, etc I find the time to assemble a set over a week or so. If you are in need of a set, send me a direct e-mail and we can chat further.

Cheers,

Sam

7. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Patrick.

It depends on the bait you are using :) ...

As I mentioned to Paul, the best way to contact me is via direct e-mail.

Cheers,

Sam

8. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi Sam,

Thank you for responding. They look great, especially with the original covers in place. I've sent you an email, so hopefully you've received that and we can chat about the details via email.

Regards,
    Paul

9. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    Well, now that Sam has weighed in I want to offer my endorsement of his solution. I installed a set of his ATC-style fuse blocks in my 1975 Series 1 GT4. The finished solution uses original fuse block covers and is indistinguishable from the OEM torpedo style unless you pull the covers.

I think there are several benefits of ATC fuses over the original torpedo style or the glass tube fuses from Birdman's solution. I acknowledge that all three are tried-and-true technologies; the differences are in long-term reliability and in usability.

Rob Garven pointed out that the torpedo blocks last forever if you just clean and tighten the contacts periodically. The covers snap over the bases for a clean look. And, for the purist, this is the original Ferrari solution.

The Birdman blocks use modern materials and improve reliability (or require less maintenance). Also, the glass fuses are easier to remove if the circuit is hot. Further, there is a huge installed population of Birdman blocks, which is testament to the value of his design.The downside is that it's a little harder to read the amp rating on glass fuses, especially if the ambient lighting is not good. And, the OEM fuse block covers won't fit due to the connector spacing on glass tube fuses.

Sam's ATC-style blocks are the 3rd generation design for these cars (Boxers and 308s). They solve the shortcomings mentioned above. As a driver and a practical purist, I chose his solution and couldn't be happier.

10. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #10 samsaprunoff, Feb 25, 2016
    Good day Paul,

You are most welcome!

I did not receive your e-mail... did you send me a direct e-mail via clicking on my "handle" name (see pic). This is the best method, as the thread may have old e-mail addresses within it.

Cheers,

Sam

11. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff

Good day Mark,

Thank you very much for your kind words! I am glad that you like them!

Cheers,

Sam

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Sunday 11:00pm sounds like a good time to finish them up :)

13. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I put my "Fish" fuseblocks in 9 years ago and have yet to replace a fuse, so I'm not sure exactly why it is important to be able to see the value on the fuses quickly. How often are you guys blowing fuses? I have never blown a fuse. The issue with the original fuseblocks is that...well...they suck--because they don't make a good contact. Once they do make a good contact, the fuses should be a non-issue. No matter whose fuseblocks you buy, you will have a much better solution than OEM.

14. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Birdman, there must be something wrong with my stock fuse block because even though it's original (84QV), there's no sign of heat or burnt mark anywhere, front or back of the block. I have not change any of the stock fuse since I've own the car in ten years and never had any electrical issue. However, I do have Sams fuse blocks that I purchase many many years ago but have not installed it yet. I'm one of those, if it's not broken, don't fix it in most cases.

15. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi Birdman,

I'm sorry about the "Fish" mistake. :)

There's nothing wrong with your fuse boxes but they were fitted by the previous owner and he didn't do a very good job and I'm not entirely convinced that he's even connected them up properly. I've got a few minor electrical issues and it is proving to be a real challenge to locate the problem due to the messy wiring around the fuse boxes. Not being able to easily identify the fuses didn't help and they all look the same.
    The biggest single motivation for changing them is the fact that the original covers fit on Sam's fuse boxes, so please don't take it as a criticism. I've only been a Ferrari owner for 6 months so I'm nowhere near being qualified to criticise anything as I'm still on a very steep learning curve. It's great that you've taken the time and effort to address the original fuse box problem.

Thank you,
    Paul

16. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    The covers were designed to retain the molten metal that flies off the original-style non-glass fuses when they blow. When using a modern fuse, glass or blade type, the cover is purely aesthetic. And since the fuseblocks are hidden inside the dash along with the rats nest that qualifies as wiring and deserves to never be seen...I'm not sure why this matters. Put the original covers away with the original fuseblocks in a box as part of the car's heritage and get out there and drive!

17. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Birdman,

I disagree with you comment that the cover is purely aesthetic.... The covers also act as a protective cover of the electrical connections. Since the blocks are inside the glove box they are exposed to any items that the user places into it ... thus any metallic items (coins, screwdrivers, keys, etc) rattling about could electrically short the connections. Secondly, the covers came with affixed labels that provided information about the fused loads as well as the fuse size.

As for the aesthetic appeal... indeed. There are some that simply like the OEM look... to each his own they say.

Cheers,

Sam

18. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I agree with all of that Sam.

I'm uncomfortable with having exposed connections inside glove-box and the original covers address that to a large extent, but that's a purely personal view and if you don't keep anything in the glove-box it is unlikely ever to be an problem.

Also, being able to easily see what each fuse is for without having to refer elsewhere is very convenient. Fuses only ever blow at the most inconvenient time. :)

Paul

19. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    It is really hard to consider that panel cover over the fuses as a "glove box". Maybe it's different on later cars. On my car the panel cover comes off when you release the clip on the lower left corner. Then the cover slides off to reveal, in my case, the Birdman fuse boxes. You can't actually put anything in there. So coins and screwdrivers tend to have to live somewhere else.

20. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Sam,

Did you get my email?

21. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day David,

You are quite correct for the 308 GTB/S... but for the GT4s and the Boxers their fuseboxes are inside the glove box.

Cheers,

Sam

22. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Mark,

I sure did... On 2/262016 at 7:09A. I did not get a bounce-back and so I assumed it went through. I will resend again now.

Cheers,

Sam

23. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Thanx. :)

24. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    Ah yes, of course. BTW, I like your design and given the choice, I probably would have gone with yours just because of the aesthetics. Birdman box has done well for me over the years, but I miss having my plastic boxes with labels covering the fuses.

25. johnny308

johnny308 Karting

Dec 3, 2011
    Greenfield, MA. USA
    Hello Sam,

I wish new fuse blocks for a 308.
    Please make contact.
    Thanks John