GM typhoon truck faster than Testarossa in 1992? | FerrariChat

GM typhoon truck faster than Testarossa in 1992?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Schulz308, Feb 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Ran across this ad while trolling the inter-webs and if you read the description it states this as a fact, hard for me to believe. any thoughts?

image 1
    image 2
    image 3

1992 GMC Typhoon

condition: good
    cylinders: 6 cylinders
    drive: 4wd
    fuel: gas
    odometer: 57000
    paint color: white
    size: compact
    title status: clean
    transmission: automatic
    type: SUV

safety tips
    prohibited items
    product recalls
    avoiding scams

"It was faster than a Porsche 928, faster than a Corvette and even faster than a Ferrari Testarossa in 1992, traveling from a standing start, the Syclone/Typhoon could hit sixty in just under four and a half seconds, thanks to its turbocharged 4.3 liter V-6 that was rated at 280 horsepower (but actually put out around 330 hp) AND sent power to all 4 wheels."
    Haven't you always wanted to own a Classic? Only 2,497 of these classics were built in 1992. And now your wife can have a mini-SUV and you'll have a hot rod just like Jay Leno has sitting in his garage.
    This car will take your breath away and it will haul 4 people, cheering madly! You can amaze everyone on the road and the family can load it up and go to the lake or zip out for the weekly grocery trip. Automatic 4-speed, AWD Turbo, 4.3L V6 and only 57K ORIG. miles. Rare white with black interior.

2. catwalk

catwalk Rookie

Jul 14, 2006
    new york city
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buyak
    I owned one of these ..what a rolling turd

3. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Zero to sixty? Might have been about the same as the Ferrari, depending on which specs you believe (5.7 seconds according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_Typhoon - versus 5.3 on the Testarossa per Wikipedia). But where are they now? I would've loved to have owned a Testarossa all this time. A GMC, not so much. And the resale value on the Ferrari has it beat, too.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    When I was younger, I lusted after the pickup version, Syclone. Now, not so much..T

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    The syclone Pickup was wickedly fast and faster than the suv version (typhoon). Syclone was sub 5 secs and typhoon was sub 6 sec. TRs of the day were right in that 5.2-6.1 so maybe my math doesn't add, but seems pretty similar to me. Syclone Pickup 4.5 is faster than TR 5.5...

6. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Funny Quick story. Back in the '90's I was driving my F40 on the 405 freeway. a Syclone was creeping up to me. As he was going faster, little by little I was just slightly putting on the gas just to mess with him. So finally I gave him a gesture of "lets go" he rolls down his passenger window and the passenger shakes his head and screamed out (we're going as fast as we can) with my throttle cocked and ready to go, I looked down at the speedo. We were already going 120mph. My friend and I started laughing.

7. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    that made me laugh.
    I searched and sure enough the top speed of the typhoon is capped at 124mph
    thanks for sharing

8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    well in 92 the 512tr came out and did a 0-60 in 4.7.....

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Only if you had the guts to dump the clutch at 5k rpm..not too many people do

10. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I'd love to have one and park it right in between my Plymouth Prowler and Pontiac Aztek. A collection for the very savvy.

11. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
  12. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Maybe 0-60, but definitely not faster after that. Just don't roll up on one of the few we built with a twin turbo LS swap :D

13. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross

That time was achieved by Phil hill for road and track in 92. I don't think he was too violent with the car.

14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Prowler was cool. Drove an Aztek as a rental. Total POS...T

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And smoke the tires??

What good would that do? Sure not the recipe for a good time.

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #16 Rifledriver, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    I had a Buick Grand National when they were new at the same time I was working on new TR's and 328's. It would leave a Typhoon or a Cyclone for dead and it would not stay with a TR much less a TR512. It was faster than a 328 up to about 80 but all it saw were the taillights of any TR.

They weigh almost the same and the TR has 70 more HP and 60 less lbs of torque but those are rear wheel numbers on the TR and crankshaft numbers on the GN with an automatic behind the GN. The GN had about 1 sec slower time than a TR in the 1/4 and was about 1 second faster than the Cyclone.

17. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    On the GN a $10 fish tank regulator would change that. Pretty impressive car is its day.

18. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    HAHA...I think that about sums up the topic.